Training 2022 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez the banker loves his SNAFL players, hope this one is as promising as the the batches from the past few years
62k7ol.jpg

Thanks for training updates guys…. Anyone have an idea of what player Jack Hayes plays like?? Looks ready made and a young leader.

Last edited:
Thanks for training updates guys…. Anyone have an idea of what player Jack Hayes plays like?? Looks ready made and a young leader.
Jason Blake as a resting forward and giving a chop out in the ruck but also can get the ball himself on-ball.
Reckon he is a chance to take over from Paddy as Marshall's 2IC eventually. Possibly.

Geez the banker loves his SNAFL players, hope this one is as promising as the the batches from the past few years
It’s become our happy hunting ground. Quite excited by our new “find.”

It’s become our happy hunting ground. Quite excited by our new “find.”
Wonder whether we will give any one else a trial run or leave a spot open.
Would happily give Tsitas or Freeman a run depending on who GC go with. Probably still an inside mid and big bodied KPD short for well rounded depth.

If we lose Howard we are in strife and will need someone else.
Bytel is really our only inside mid depth beyond shuffling others through there like Gresh/Clark/Higgins etc, or throwing Owens/Windy in

Probably a Mason Woods jack-of-all-trades type utility at AFL level. Strong marking utility. Played KP and even ruck but unlikely at that height in real footy.

Wonder whether we will give any one else a trial run or leave a spot open.
Would happily give Tsitas or Freeman a run depending on who GC go with. Probably still an inside mid and big bodied KPD short for well rounded depth.

If we lose Howard we are in strife and will need someone else.
Bytel is really our only inside mid depth beyond shuffling others through there like Gresh/Clark/Higgins etc, or throwing Owens/Windy in

Tempting to do it now but i think wait until the mid-season and pick someone who's shown a bit. Should be some gems this season.

Tempting to do it now but i think wait until the mid-season and pick someone who's shown a bit. Should be some gems this season.
Yeah is definitely helpful to steal a top ager before the draft using the MSD. Hoping Heath will turn out to be a good steal given he probably would have gone quite high in the actual draft.

Dare say we will do as you suggest.

Mate sounds like you need to book a qantas flight and head home ..borders are open.
I woulnt be taking that sh*te from you.. i meet plenty of arseholes here but they dont represent the majority of sound Aussies that have welcomed me since emmigrating. Again show me quotes where ex afl players have whinged like you memtioned. I’m pretty clued into the Irish media and most players are complimentary of their time in Aus and grateful for the opportunity.
I'm not actively trying to offend you...and I'm happy that you've enjoyed emigrating (though I'm not sure how it relates to the topic) I stand by my opinion however. You don't have to like it or agree...whether you "take that shite from me" or not makes no difference either way... I've written other posts complimentary of the GAA and Irish players, and others not so much. I'm pretty even in what I say. Ignore me if it upsets you so much.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably a Mason Woods jack-of-all-trades type utility at AFL level. Strong marking utility. Played KP and even ruck but unlikely at that height in real footy.
If Pickett can pinch hit in the ruck at the Tigers then Hayes can at the Saints. Agree he is not a first ruck but he could be a back up
even in this day and age, depending on what other havoc he can cause. I remember when GT used to not rate rucks, it was from the perspective
if you don't have an A grade ruckman on your list then you just deal with it and do something else. This guy has that vibe I reckon.
Of course I've been wrong before.

I'm not actively trying to offend you...and I'm happy that you've enjoyed emigrating (though I'm not sure how it relates to the topic) I stand by my opinion however. You don't have to like it or agree...whether you "take that sh*te from me" or not makes no difference either way... I've written other posts complimentary of the GAA and Irish players, and others not so much. I'm pretty even in what I say. Ignore me if it upsets you so much.
Nar * it TJ. Anyone who doesn't actively acknowledge the ability of Irishman to whing incessantly over nothing is either delusional or Irish. I reckon you're on the money and those who don't like it can feck orrff.

Hayes onboard

tenor.gif

State capt
Led comp for contested marks
Back to back flags, one with a BOG performance
Finished 3rd in the magary medal by a point, two winners splitting first on 21, hayes and someone else on 20

Talented and versatile.
Just needs to take a big step up.

Saints training this morning at TB oval. Looked like the entire list (plus Spider Everritt's son) were all in attendance. Even Hanners! (although he didn't participate, more of a casual on-looker).
For those of you who were concerned about Wanganeen-Milera, the good news is he trained today. I read somewhere about a rumour that he had hurt his knee. Not sure if that's the case but he trained without any strapping so I'm assuming he's fully recovered if in fact he was injured.
There were a couple who looked like they may have been part of a rehab group (or potentially having their loads managed). This group included Gresh, JB & Paddy (I have to say Paddy looked like he's the slimmest he's been since he was drafted as a 17 yo - looks in absolute terrific shape.
From what I saw, there was a huge focus on ball movement and skills, particularly by foot with a lot of short sharp kicking to short options. Seems to be a definite focus on quick ball movement. Reminded me a bit of the way the Hawks moved the ball during the 2008-2015 era and it is clear to see the Hawthorn influence starting to take shape. I must say for this time of year, the skills look really good. I didn't stay for the entire session so I didn't see any match sim work but the drills were short, sharp and high intensity. Coff was the standout for me in some of these drills, particularly the forwards vs defence drill. Played with confidence and presence and was willing to take the game on. I think that's when he's at his best. The boys look good and we have some really good depth on our list. Cheers everyone.

Hayes onboard

View attachment 1316355

State capt
Led comp for contested marks
Back to back flags, one with a BOG performance
Finished 3rd in the magary medal by a point, two winners splitting first on 21, hayes and someone else on 20

Talented and versatile.
Just needs to take a big step up.
Someone else mentioned this a while ago - that Hayes moves around the ground in a similar way to Michael Gardiner.
In that both have longish legs in proportion to the rest of their body which gives rise to a unique running style.
After watching the 2021 SANFL GF I can see the comparison. Just a vibe. Gardy used to glide around, when fit, like a
puma in second gear I reckon.

Last edited:
Saints training this morning at TB oval. Looked like the entire list (plus Spider Everritt's son) were all in attendance. Even Hanners! (although he didn't participate, more of a casual on-looker).
For those of you who were concerned about Wanganeen-Milera, the good news is he trained today. I read somewhere about a rumour that he had hurt his knee. Not sure if that's the case but he trained without any strapping so I'm assuming he's fully recovered if in fact he was injured.
There were a couple who looked like they may have been part of a rehab group (or potentially having their loads managed). This group included Gresh, JB & Paddy (I have to say Paddy looked like he's the slimmest he's been since he was drafted as a 17 yo - looks in absolute terrific shape.
From what I saw, there was a huge focus on ball movement and skills, particularly by foot with a lot of short sharp kicking to short options. Seems to be a definite focus on quick ball movement. Reminded me a bit of the way the Hawks moved the ball during the 2008-2015 era and it is clear to see the Hawthorn influence starting to take shape. I must say for this time of year, the skills look really good. I didn't stay for the entire session so I didn't see any match sim work but the drills were short, sharp and high intensity. Coff was the standout for me in some of these drills, particularly the forwards vs defence drill. Played with confidence and presence and was willing to take the game on. I think that's when he's at his best. The boys look good and we have some really good depth on our list. Cheers everyone.
Great update, cheers! I feel like in the past couple of preseason threads there have been queries on the skill level at training, so I hope this is showing improvement with our ball use

Remove this Banner Ad

Back