Training 2022 pre-season

Remove this Banner Ad

Well we now know the thing (or have had confirmed the thing) that was keeping him back was his weight. He confirmed it.
Interesting given he lost 6 (or was it 8?) kg to get drafted that he had more to lose. He does look as if he has fined down more but I wonder, given some comments on here, if that's the biggest hurdle.
Wish him (and every player) all possible success so let's hope he reaches the heights this year.

Episode 1 from WA

Our Wozzie kids have been hitting the training track hard. Here is a pre xmas snippet from a recording.

LMac: Shellers, would you pls stfu

The Chad: Just keep those Shellers' stumpy legs moving.

** Nasty noise as Corey hits the footpath. **

The Chad: I warned you. There is no definite article in front of Corey. You are not Worthington. Now keep up!

Shellers: But I only have 127 more questions to ask.

LMac.The Chad and Corey in unison: stfu Shellers.

Next episode: Don Pyke resorts to Euclid to explain the maths of the game plan.

Boys and girls, I’m living in the States atm, really would love an update on who’s “training the house down”
Having Swannies withdrawals atm.

Edited: Marc Sheather Colin O'Riordan did well, made Luke work for the ball.

Last edited:
Went down to Tramway oval Monday after 9am. They were already on the oval doing warmup.

There were a few VFL players doing the full session. And probably about 10 listed players missing. I noticed 3 of 4 WA guys and both Irish guys were there. Amartey, Wicks and McLean were doing straight line running on the side. Everyone else seemed to be mostly involved in the session.

- Split into 3 groups and rotated through 3 stations. 2 stations were picking up grounds balls and handballing. I think the 3rd station was an attacking side of 7 players moving the ball with short kicks past opposing players.

- Quick drill with 4 players handballing past 3 opposing players.

- 7 attacking players try to handball past 4 opposing players. Felt it was a similiar scenario to a defender picking up a ground ball and then staying calm and using the numbers to keep possession. Also a bit of a scenario where they would start the drill with a ground ball amongst a bunch of players to simulate inside mids handballing in a congested area.

- Players set up on 4 points of a large square. And running and kicking to the opposite diagonal with multiple balls in motion.

- 3 matches of 10 vs 10 on a reduced field where the team scores a point by marking the ball in a zone near the goal. (Not full contact. Coaches would whistle for a turnover if someone was wrapped up or there were loose possessions). The players currently not involved were practicing picking up a ground ball under pressure and trying to evade a tackler 1 vs 1. It was funny seeing the Warner boys end up on the same team in the 10v10 and link up a few times with handballs.

- Same game except 12 vs 12 but keeping a 4/4/4 positional structure.

- Same game except 14 attackers vs 12 opposing and now using the full field.

- Running - 4 sets of 2/3 of the oval boundary. Then probably 10 sets of 100m straight running. Mostly in a bunch on the boundary runs. But guys you would expect like Fox, CoR, Ronke, Stephens and Cunningham were generally near the front.

It seemed to be finishing up a bit after 11am.

Last edited:
I was looking at the article on Ollie. I have a couple of things I would like Ollie to do. People kerp saying he is a wasteful or terrible kick. But that isn't true. His kicking is superb. The problem is those superb kicks sometimes just go to the wrong spots. This is not a problem of bad kicking it is a problem of bad decision making. He often kicks to where a player was or to where he thought the leading player would go.

The problem is I don't think he is reading leading patterns of the forwards very well. For instance, Bud led up but this is a ploy to lead back when he leads up prematurely. Ollie kicked to a forward lead and the ball was cut off. This is a constant problem for Ollie.

I would like Ollie to give every Swans fan a Christmas present by doing in depth study on video of every for ward's leading patterns. I would like him to put those to memory and think before he kicks, 'what is his pattern?' I think he will be a far better player if he commits to memory the hand signals and leading patterns. He is a bloody good kick, it is the decisions that are the problem.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got there after 9am on Wednesday. They had already started a warmup. Of the listed players missing from Monday, I saw Rowbottom, Papley, McDonald and possibly Sheather. Mills was there but did not fully participate. There was also a few players from the VFL squad.

- In threes kicking the ball to each other. Rampe, Mclean and Sheldrick were closest to me. I could hear Rampe saying "Gus louder let me hear your voice" to encourage Sheldrick to be vocal when making a lead for a pass.

- Split into 3 groups and rotated through 3 skill stations.
* Picking up a ground ball under pressure, get wrapped up then try to get a handpass away
* A handballing drill
* 6 attacking players work their way past 5 opposing players using short kicks

- 6 attacking players handball past 3 opposing players in a small area

- Ball movement drill moving the ball from the backpocket upfield by moving into space and making leads. Structured with multiple 3 vs 2 progressing up the field. The players not immediately involved in this drill practiced making leads to a delivery into the 50m arc.

- 6 vs 6 ball movement drill using a wide area of the field. The 6 attacking players were set up in 4 lanes to encourage them to use the width of the oval.

- Split up into backs, mids and forwards. McVeigh seems to still be coaching the forwards. And Cox the mids. Reid seemed to be with the backs. Heeney and Gulden were with the mids. Roberts joined the mids. Sheldrick and Corey Warner joined the forwards.

*Forwards. Intially practiced crumbing in front of goal. McDonald would tap the ball down to 4 forwards running in from different angles.
Then they practiced delivering the ball to leading forwards inside the 50m arc. 4 attacking players would make leads in the 50m arc against 2 opposing players.
Then they practiced 1 vs 1 contested marking in the goal square from a high ball.

*Mids. Practiced tap work between the ruck and mids. McAndrew would tap down to a 1 vs 1. Then later 2 vs 2. Then 4 vs 4.

* Defenders. 6 vs 6 in the 50m arc. Attacking players would try to make leads and work the ball towards goal. The opposing team would try to track their leads. And then work the ball out if they won possession.

- Running 2 laps of the oval in 3 sets. Though most players did not run all 3 sets. There were 3 groups and the better runners were split between the first 2 groups. Stephens was always 1st in group 1 with Ronke and McCartin behind him. Cunningham and Corey Warner were running strongly in group 2. In the 2nd set Corey Warner caught up to his brother who was in group 1 and then they sprinted each other to the finish for the last 1/4 lap.

Got there after 9am on Wednesday. They had already started a warmup. Of the listed players missing from Monday, I saw Rowbottom, Papley, McDonald and possibly Sheather. Mills was there but did not fully participate. There was also a few players from the VFL squad.

- In threes kicking the ball to each other. Rampe, Mclean and Sheldrick were closest to me. I could hear Rampe saying "Gus louder let me hear your voice" to encourage Sheldrick to be vocal when making a lead for a pass.

- Split into 3 groups and rotated through 3 skill stations.
* Picking up a ground ball under pressure, get wrapped up then try to get a handpass away
* A handballing drill
* 6 attacking players work their way past 5 opposing players using short kicks

- 6 attacking players handball past 3 opposing players in a small area

- Ball movement drill moving the ball from the backpocket upfield by moving into space and making leads. Structured with multiple 3 vs 2 progressing up the field. The players not immediately involved in this drill practiced making leads to a delivery into the 50m arc.

- 6 vs 6 ball movement drill using a wide area of the field. The 6 attacking players were set up in 4 lanes to encourage them to use the width of the oval.

- Split up into backs, mids and forwards. McVeigh seems to still be coaching the forwards. And Cox the mids. Reid seemed to be with the backs. Heeney and Gulden were with the mids. Roberts joined the mids. Sheldrick and Corey Warner joined the forwards.

*Forwards. Intially practiced crumbing in front of goal. McDonald would tap the ball down to 4 forwards running in from different angles.
Then they practiced delivering the ball to leading forwards inside the 50m arc. 4 attacking players would make leads in the 50m arc against 2 opposing players.
Then they practiced 1 vs 1 contested marking in the goal square from a high ball.

*Mids. Practiced tap work between the ruck and mids. McAndrew would tap down to a 1 vs 1. Then later 2 vs 2. Then 4 vs 4.

* Defenders. 6 vs 6 in the 50m arc. Attacking players would try to make leads and work the ball towards goal. The opposing team would try to track their leads. And then work the ball out if they won possession.

- Running 2 laps of the oval in 3 sets. Though most players did not run all 3 sets. There were 3 groups and the better runners were split between the first 2 groups. Stephens was always 1st in group 1 with Ronke and McCartin behind him. Cunningham and Corey Warner were running strongly in group 2. In the 2nd set Corey Warner caught up to his brother who was in group 1 and then they sprinted each other to the finish for the last 1/4 lap.
Love your work Sean!
Interesting Sheldrick in the forwards. Could they be thinking of him as a small forward? Or learning more crumbing skills? Warner easy to see on a flank. Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall!

Love your work Sean!
Interesting Sheldrick in the forwards. Could they be thinking of him as a small forward? Or learning more crumbing skills? Warner easy to see on a flank. Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall!

We have an increasing track record of adding an attacking side to our midfielders by developing them as mid-forwards. Giving them midfield time but also exposing them to the wing, flank and pockets. Developing their outside game, teaching them to find space inside 50, hit the scoreboard etc.

It's also likely that Sheldrick's best chance at playing senior footy this year will be as a forward.

Love your work Sean!
It would not be a bad place to start him. I imagine there is nothing in his mind that will stop him excelling in whatever position they play him in his first few years. You just have to watch his U18 games to truly see the future of this guy. I'm looking forward to it.

We have an increasing track record of adding an attacking side to our midfielders by developing them as mid-forwards. Giving them midfield time but also exposing them to the wing, flank and pockets. Developing their outside game, teaching them to find space inside 50, hit the scoreboard etc.

It's also likely that Sheldrick's best chance at playing senior footy this year will be as a forward.

Good luck 'Prime' Angus. Hope he develops more strings to his bow.

Love your work Sean!

I did not read too much into it.

Sheldrick/Warner just arrived in Sydney. And probably benefited more from joining in with the forwards. Crumbing balls and having a shot, making leads inside the 50m arc and 1 vs 1 contested marking in the goal square. Than spending the whole time doing tap work with the ruck. The coaches may also wanted to even up the numbers in each group.

I think Sheldrick played as a small forward occasionally in the juniors. And maybe if Sheldrick/Warner debut off the bench, realistically they will spend time in the forward line so useful to have that versatility. I am guessing Sheldrick will be an inside mid long term and will need to gradually work on different aspect of his game to play there at AFL level.

I am guessing Warner will end up being a tough outside mid capable of spending time on the wing, half forward and half back. In the team drills there were a few times he got into space received the ball, went for a run and then executed a simple pass to an open player. I know pre draft they were saying he had to work on his kicking but he seems ok with simple passes. I don't think he is going to have extreme line breaking speed. But he seems a player who can run all day.

I have only watched a few sessions. But I don't expect them to debut early. It is a big step up to AFL level.

What we did with Chad Warner albeit we were in a much worse position injury wise 🤞🤞

Horse has already removed Heeney (greased the wheels) from the forwards to allow Angus to get a gig down forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back