Training 2022 pre-season

Remove this Banner Ad

Love your work Sean!
Interesting Sheldrick in the forwards. Could they be thinking of him as a small forward? Or learning more crumbing skills? Warner easy to see on a flank. Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall!

Mids generally play in the forward line in the first year. That is except for players who have played at WAFL, SANFL or VFL level. Sheldrick played Under agers. Roberts played SANFL.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

- Got there Friday after 9am. Players were already on the oval. The listed players were kicking the ball back and forth in twos or threes. There were players I saw for the first time this week. Ladhams, Rankin, Sinclair, Naismith and P McCartin. There was about 8 VFL players doing some skill stuff together behind the southern goal. (They joined in most of the session but occasionally did their own stuff together.)

- The coaches called all the players over and they formed a semi circle near the Northern goal. Initially they clapped. Then they were talking for over 10 minutes. Then they formed two lines in front of the goal and watched someone take two shots at goal. I was on the other side so not sure what was going on.

- The players did some fitness stuff. It was mainly straight line running and shuttle runs. Within the squad, I assume there are different levels of preseason. Amartey, McDonald, Sinclair and Ladhams were doing a lot of straight line running on the side. Mills, Sheather, Naismith and O'Connor were doing lighter skill drills. And there were other players who just kicked the ball around instead of doing the running drills. Also there might be players on lighter loads. Because there were players who trained fully earlier in the week not present at all today.

- Split into 3 groups and rotated through 3 skill stations. One was picking up a ground ball and then chaining some handballs. Another was practicing quick side to side handballs. The most interesting to watch was where 7 attackers would have to work their way past 5 opposing players with short kicks. I like to watch this drill. Because the player with the ball has to assess their options under pressure, then execute the kick and then move into space to create a confident passing option.

- Split into 3 groups and did some quick handball games. Maybe 7 attacking players pick up a rolling ball then handball past 4 opposing player in a small space.

- Played something close to a match sim for 2 quarters. Even strength teams maybe 14 vs 14 with players in their typical positions. Each team would get an opportunity to start from their goal and try to work it forward. No real stoppages but a reasonable amount of pressure and tackling.

- Drill where players are on the 4 points of a large square. Then kick and run towards the opposite diagonal with multiple balls in motion.

- A 10 vs 10 drill which seemed to focus on transition between attack and defence. There were two fields set up next to each other. Then 3 teams of 10 with different coloured bibs. Team A would attack against Team B. Once Team A kicked the goal. Team C would immediately start attacking in the opposite direction on the adjacent field and Team A would have to get back in position to defend. And so on. I think the purpose of the drill was that the initial attacking team had to scramble back/laterally to defensively cover a fresh attacking team. And maybe it also forces the players to make quick attacking decisions against a defence that is not set yet.

- Split into Mids and Backs/Forwards. Backs/Forwards seem to be doing a 3 vs 3 drill to a ball kicked to the front of the goal square. The mids group were directly in front of me so I just watched them. Intially the mids were doing 1 vs 1 drill. A player would pick up a ground ball and then try to evade or shake off the tackler. There were some interesting match ups. McAndrew was swerving back and forth against Laidler for a while before they tumbled over in exhaustion. I think Kennedy matched up on Roberts. Warner might have been on Stephens. Then they worked 4 vs 4 with McAndrew tapping the ball down from a boundary throw in.

- Started to wind up after this. Few player had shots for goal, some did some high marking on a jump bag. Some guys did some 1 vs 1 wrap up tackling. it finished much later than usual maybe after midday.

Last edited:
I initially tried to write down the lineups for the match sim but gave up. But here is an incomplete list to give some indication of positions. (There will be players that played who I forgot to write down and others at training who did not participate.)

Backs
Campbell Cunningham Reid Blakey
Mcinerney Gould Melican Rampe

Ruck/Mids
McAndrew Clarke Kennedy Rowbottom Heeney
Stephens Gulden Warner Roberts Florent Parker

Forwards
Papley Mclean Warner Bell Ronke
Wicks Hayward Sheldrick

Last edited:
I initially tried to write down the lineups for the match sim but gave up. But here is an incomplete list to give some indication of positions. (There will be players that played who I forgot to write down and others at training who did not participate.)

Backs
Campbell Cunningham Reid Blakey
Mcinerney Gould Melican Rampe

Ruck/Mids
McAndrew Clarke Kennedy Rowbottom Heeney
Stephens Gulden Warner Roberts Florent Parker

Forwards
Papley Mclean Warner Bell Ronke
Wicks Hayward Sheldrick

Cheers for these, as per. Legend!

I'm pleased to see McInerney (so far) involved with the defenders.

It's still visibly jarring to see Clarke's name whenever it comes up in relation to our list. It feels so surreal that on a list we can almost unanimously agree is chockers with talent and promise, that we still somehow found a place for Clarke. (And yes I know we don't have a single other player who can be a tagger on our list anymore - no one bit when I suggested Fox - so I'm not even disputing the merits of retaining him. It's just weird to think about, that's all.)

Cheers for these, as per. Legend!

I'm pleased to see McInerney (so far) involved with the defenders.

It's still visibly jarring to see Clarke's name whenever it comes up in relation to our list. It feels so surreal that on a list we can almost unanimously agree is chockers with talent and promise, that we still somehow found a place for Clarke. (And yes I know we don't have a single other player who can be a tagger on our list anymore - no one bit when I suggested Fox - so I'm not even disputing the merits of retaining him. It's just weird to think about, that's all.)

Hahaha. Similar for me, but when I see his name I have to think for a split second "who is Clarke?". I hope he spent the entire off season doing kicking drills.

I am torn about JMac training with the defenders. I really see him as an AA quality wingman in a couple of years.

Great diversity in the drills. No player would have been bored.

Last edited:
Hahaha. Similar for me, but when I see his name I have to think for a split second "who is Clarke?". I hope he spent the entire off season doing kicking drills.

I am torn about JMac training with the defenders. I really see him as an AA quality wingman in a couple of years.

Great diversity in the drills. No player would have been bored.

I also see McInerney as an AA quality half back, and one of only two who fits that bill (Blakey the other.) Whereas the wing, I think we will have a number of talented players in that role (Heeney, Gulden, Campbell, our inside mids will also rotate through there, not to mention Florent and Stephens if they come good.) So I think pushing McInerney back helps balance the team better (not to mention the team's performance and McInerney's individual performance both clearly improved when he was playing out of defence.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I also see McInerney as an AA quality half back, and one of only two who fits that bill (Blakey the other.) Whereas the wing, I think we will have a number of talented players in that role (Heeney, Gulden, Campbell, our inside mids will also rotate through there, not to mention Florent and Stephens if they come good.) So I think pushing McInerney back helps balance the team better (not to mention the team's performance and McInerney's individual performance both clearly improved when he was playing out of defence.)
Florent has played 93 crap games? I find that hard to believe.

Not so sure McInerney's personal performance improved off half back. Team performance yes because it pushed that Crows player up to the wing but that's no longer the case. Maybe if he rotates with Campbell we get a similar effect. No doubt we'll see.

Not so sure McInerney's personal performance improved off half back. Team performance yes because it pushed that Crows player up to the wing but that's no longer the case. Maybe if he rotates with Campbell we get a similar effect. No doubt we'll see.

McInerney averaged five possessions more when moved to half back, his disposal average went from 15 to 20. Disposal numbers aren't everything obviously, but if you're talking about an extremely dangerous ball user, then I think how often they get the ball in their hands does become a factor. Not to mention it was also the position that best seemed to maximise his great running ability consistently. The wing can be a graveyard spot, and though he looked more natural at it than probably anyone we'd tried in that role since Jetta, he was still floating in and out of games too often. I doubt he would've finished top 10 in the B&F and won our most improved were it not for his move to half back that elevated his season from "good season by a kid" to "great season by a young star".

Florent is already a good player.

Again, not sure where I argued on the contrary. You can be a good player and still need to "come good." If he stays at the level he is then his "good" might not be good enough with the other "good" we have on the list.

McInerney averaged five possessions more when moved to half back, his disposal average went from 15 to 20. Disposal numbers aren't everything obviously, but if you're talking about an extremely dangerous ball user, then I think how often they get the ball in their hands does become a factor. Not to mention it was also the position that best seemed to maximise his great running ability consistently. The wing can be a graveyard spot, and though he looked more natural at it than probably anyone we'd tried in that role since Jetta, he was still floating in and out of games too often. I doubt he would've finished top 10 in the B&F and won our most improved were it not for his move to half back that elevated his season from "good season by a kid" to "great season by a young star".
I like McInerney and Blakey off halfback. Both love to run and carry. Both have the pace. It was quite exciting watching those two late in the season.
We also need to find a place for Campbell off a wing. He is no defender. Year one out of the way. Training wheels are off now. Looking for him to provide elite entries into the forward line.

Again, not sure where I argued on the contrary. You can be a good player and still need to "come good." If he stays at the level he is then his "good" might not be good enough with the other "good" we have on the list.
Then they will overtake him if that is the case. I like the competition in the mids. As Dalrymple said "you can't have too many mids". He has said that competition is good for mid spots.
Until then if he is in the team he is good enough.

I like McInerney and Blakey off halfback. Both love to run and carry. Both have the pace. It was quite exciting watching those two late in the season.
We also need to find a place for Campbell off a wing. He is no defender. Year one out of the way. Training wheels are off now. Looking for him to provide elite entries into the forward line.

Yeah I was surprised to hear he was training in defence. It may only be a temporary thing. He might be thrown around, that seemed to be the case last year as he started in defence but by year's end was training in the forward half. But I definitely see the most opportunities for him on the wing. Per your point about Florent, I think that Campbell is one of the ones who could give him a red hot crack there this year. Stephens and a few of the draftees are among the others. It's exciting if they can all stay fit and push each other. I just hope we give Campbell his chance to be a part of it.

Yeah I was surprised to hear he was training in defence. It may only be a temporary thing. He might be thrown around, that seemed to be the case last year as he started in defence but by year's end was training in the forward half. But I definitely see the most opportunities for him on the wing. Per your point about Florent, I think that Campbell is one of the ones who could give him a red hot crack there this year. Stephens and a few of the draftees are among the others. It's exciting if they can all stay fit and push each other. I just hope we give Campbell his chance to be a part of it.
I think Campbell is ahead of the queue. Sheldrick will not be far behind him. Excited with Roberts, the other Warner and Rankin. If only to watch them improve in the McGoos. We are approaching real serious depth in the squad (after this next draft period). Exiting are Naismith, Sinclair, Kennedy, Taylor, Reid, maybe Ronke. There will be a chorus (that's the term for a group of AFL players) of young players vying for a spot in the firsts. Competition for spots next year and beyond will be serious.

I think Campbell is ahead of the queue. Sheldrick will not be far behind him. Excited with Roberts, the other Warner and Rankin. If only to watch them improve in the McGoos. We are approaching real serious depth in the squad (after this next draft period). Exiting are Naismith, Sinclair, Kennedy, Taylor, Reid, maybe Ronke. There will be a chorus (that's the term for a group of AFL players) of young players vying for a spot in the firsts. Competition for spots next year and beyond will be serious.

Agree Rusty, if we can keep them all together then we are on the brink of something very special. We've basically assembled the kind of ridiculously talented squad that Gold Coast and GWS were partially gifted upon entry into the AFL, but couldn't figure out how to capitalise on. Methinks we will not be as wasteful.

I think if everyone's fit, selection for round 1 will be straight-forward and predictable. But if everyone's fit for the pre-season games... geez. I don't envy Horse trying to fit them all in so they all get a chance to show what they can do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back