Training 2022 pre-season

Remove this Banner Ad

Another week gone by and training galleries posted to the Swans site, and still no sign of Buddy. I would love to believe that it's the club's media team trying a new approach where they spread their focus to other players, but I am not that naive. The jig is up. If they haven't shown or mentioned him once since training resumed in the new year, then there's something wrong with him.

And given the undiluted hysteria that comes from the media every time Buddy suffers even a minor injury, I wouldn't blame the club for keeping this one under wraps.

Another week gone by and training galleries posted to the Swans site, and still no sign of Buddy. I would love to believe that it's the club's media team trying a new approach where they spread their focus to other players, but I am not that naive. The jig is up. If they haven't shown or mentioned him once since training resumed in the new year, then there's something wrong with him.

And given the undiluted hysteria that comes from the media every time Buddy suffers even a minor injury, I wouldn't blame the club for keeping this one under wraps.
There are a lot of possibilties apart from injury: he could be having a mental health mini-break, he may have Covid, there may be family issues calling him away. But you're right - something is going on because he hasn't been at training.

There are a lot of possibilties apart from injury: he could be having a mental health mini-break, he may have Covid, there may be family issues calling him away. But you're right - something is going on because he hasn't been at training.

Yep I should've said something's 'up' with him, not something's 'wrong' with him. Worded it incorrectly.

Footage today of Bud training via Swans instagram.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember years ago when I was watching the cricket and Steve Waugh was throwing the ball to his 3-year-old son and I got slightly irrationally annoyed that the 3-year-old kid was timing the ball much better than I could at 15 :p
Well, I saw a video a couple of days ago of a 5yo boy on the subcontinent whose technique and timing were superior to most test players. We may have a problem in about 15 years :(

Well, I saw a video a couple of days ago of a 5yo boy on the subcontinent whose technique and timing were superior to most test players. We may have a problem in about 15 years :(
Those videos pop up literally every other day. Not one of those kids on those videos have ever made it.

I have said previously that he will have the biggest impact on this team than any other Academy player. I truly believe that.
I agree.
The question for me is where will the improvement come from?
His disposal by hand and foot is already immaculate.
His vision is very good but there were a few times last season he missed good opportunities so there's a bit there.
I'm not clever/observant enough to comment on his positional play. His tank seems fine.
Defensive/pressure play maybe?
Getting his hands on the ball more. That's probably a game plan thing as much as anything. He certainly can win his own ball.
I think he's more damaging from centre to attacking 50 than elsewhere which spells HFF to me. Being first hands of centre clearances or defensive chains might be ideal.
Looking forward to it.

I agree.
His vision is very good but there were a few times last season he missed good opportunities so there's a bit there.
I'm not clever/observant enough to comment on his positional play. His tank seems fine.
Getting his hands on the ball more. That's probably a game plan thing as much as anything. He certainly can win his own ball.
I think he's more damaging from centre to attacking 50 than elsewhere which spells HFF to me. Being first hands of centre clearances or defensive chains might be ideal.
Looking forward to it.
I agree getting his hands on the ball more. Around CBAs not necessariliy in them. Yet. His decision making, delivery is sublime. He needs to be around the ball to get that delivery to where it needs to go and knows that better than most. Tough too for a little fella.

I agree getting his hands on the ball more. Around CBAs not necessariliy in them. Yet. His decision making, delivery is sublime. He needs to be around the ball to get that delivery to where it needs to go and knows that better than most. Tough too for a little fella.
I also think he is infectious on the rest of the players. Players like playing with him. He will draw players eventually to his way of playing. he sees things faster than others. Its innate. A natural footballer and future leader.

I agree.
Looking forward to it.
Consistency

I wonder with Gulden if he's capable of putting on enough size to be a Dayne Zorko type. He can definitely replicate his skill and nous but Zorko, for his small stature, is also a tough bastard who throws himself around happily. I think Gulden is happy to throw himself around but I'm not sure he'll develop the bulk that Zorko has to play at stoppages all over the field a lot.

I'd be pretty happy with Gulden staying on a wing/HF for the most part for now with regular centre bounce attendances. CBA's are where you need extra pace nowadays so I think Gulden is very well-suited to playing that role similarly to Shai Bolton - he's not a big guy by any means but he's very smart, quick and hard to stop if he has space.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back