Training 2022 Pre-season

Remove this Banner Ad

For all the pre-season talk, training reports, videos, photos and all the talk of who is tearing up the training pitch.

Will be interesting to see how the boys come back, looking forward to see the likes of Cam Rayner, Harry Sharp and Hippy on their way back from injury, Ely Smith and if he has continued to work on his running.
Lachie Neale after an injury riddled off season last year, I am hoping he gets a full pre-season and has the year of his life after the lure of going back to Perth as well.
Also hoping Jarrod Berry can have an uninterrupted season so he can show us all how good he can be.

Be nice if the newbies could get up before Chrissie even if just for a week or so.

Berrygood

All Australian
Aug 27, 2017
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Keen to know who has been putting in the extra work before preseason started, I've read bits saying most have been hitting the gym early but any greater detail would be great.

Also keen to see how Wylie Buzza will fit in, where he would play. His maturity and hardness could be good for H Smith's development up fwd in the 2's, but being short on kpd he's probably more likely to play back. Would it be worth trialling Fullerton as a defender? Maybe whoever doesn't make the 22 out of (Gardiner, Adams or Payne), and Lester could take the key defenders roles leaving Lane, Smith, Fullerton and Buzza to work similar to the 4 talls in the firsts. I'm expecting Fort to play firsts until Hippy is back.

A big preseason into J Berry and Cockatoo I hope pays great dividends. Those 2 in best form would elevate the team. Also a big preseason into Mcfadyen could earn him a shot or at least a step up the pecking order. I guess the same could be said for all the young blokes.

Hoping we have a quiet year injury wise and covid doesn't mess up the vfl comp again. The kids need games.

I reckon we have a good squad, with plenty of improvement left in most. It's that internal improvement that will see us take that next step. It all starts in preseason.

Keen to know who has been putting in the extra work before preseason started, I've read bits saying most have been hitting the gym early but any greater detail would be great.

Also keen to see how Wylie Buzza will fit in, where he would play. His maturity and hardness could be good for H Smith's development up fwd in the 2's, but being short on kpd he's probably more likely to play back. Would it be worth trialling Fullerton as a defender? Maybe whoever doesn't make the 22 out of (Gardiner, Adams or Payne), and Lester could take the key defenders roles leaving Lane, Smith, Fullerton and Buzza to work similar to the 4 talls in the firsts. I'm expecting Fort to play firsts until Hippy is back.

A big preseason into J Berry and Cockatoo I hope pays great dividends. Those 2 in best form would elevate the team. Also a big preseason into Mcfadyen could earn him a shot or at least a step up the pecking order. I guess the same could be said for all the young blokes.

Hoping we have a quiet year injury wise and covid doesn't mess up the vfl comp again. The kids need games.

I reckon we have a good squad, with plenty of improvement left in most. It's that internal improvement that will see us take that next step. It all starts in preseason.
Certainly couldn’t imagine Cockatoo could turn up any more unfit than he did last year.
As an almost 50 year old with dodgey knees, I reckon I could have run faster and further than he could at the start of pre-season last year.
Sorry Cocky, but kinda true.

Surly Boy

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2011
Brisneyland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Do we know if Darcy Fort and Cameron Bruce have been able to get north with COVID travel restrictions?

Also will Jimmy Tunstill be coming over from Perth before Xmas - presumably travel is permitted between Qld and WA currently?

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Certainly couldn’t imagine Cockatoo could turn up any more unfit than he did last year.
As an almost 50 year old with dodgey knees, I reckon I could have run faster and further than he could at the start of pre-season last year.
Sorry Cocky, but kinda true.
Cockatoo was able to do some nice things for a quarter once we decided it was time to play him but completely ran out of gas after that.

He's coming from a long way back on that form and I just hope he stayed in training at season's end.

The ones we would be hoping can improve markedly in 2022 are Payne, Answerth if he's fit , make or break year for Ah Chee, Robertson, J berry ,Prior ,Fullarton , Madden and Kiddy. We need a handful of those to go from being fringe players to automatic selections.

Cockatoo was able to do some nice things for a quarter once we decided it was time to play him but completely ran out of gas after that.

He's coming from a long way back on that form and I just hope he stayed in training at season's end.

The ones we would be hoping can improve markedly in 2022 are Payne, Answerth if he's fit , make or break year for Ah Chee, Robertson, J berry ,Prior ,Fullarton , Madden and Kiddy. We need a handful of those to go from being fringe players to automatic selections.
I agree, for me, the fringe players are pretty much the most important on the list. If they can come on and put some serious pressure on the current seniors it will be the best thing for the Premiership push.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Kiddy was great in the back end of last season and was a standout in that most unfortunate loss to the Dogs in the Semi.

Maybe not a complete lock but certainly better than a fringe player IMO.

I rank him easily above Cockatoo on the "Fringe" scale
Well he's played 4 or 5 decent games. If he's able to keep it up and hopefully get better he's a lock. He looks like a lock . But not quite there yet. He's probably ahead of the others I named right now except for J Berry.

Flossie32

Team Captain
May 28, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Maybe the plan is for Campbell Brown to coach the Vic based guys including Darcy Fort. They find an oval somewhere.
And new head of medical (Peter blanch replacement) who I believe is also down there, can assist them down there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
Kiddy was great in the back end of last season and was a standout in that most unfortunate loss to the Dogs in the Semi.

Maybe not a complete lock but certainly better than a fringe player IMO.

I rank him easily above Cockatoo on the "Fringe" scale

He's a lock for me. I saw enough.

I wasn't convinced of Coleman as a forward. Love him as a small defender.

He's a lock for me. I saw enough.

I wasn't convinced of Coleman as a forward. Love him as a small defender.
He was fantastic at the back end of the year. He is a much more natural defender than a forward.
Someone else with a bit of speed in replace of Birchall from the Bulldogs game and we have our starting backline.
Gardiner, Adams, Starcevich
Rich, Andrews, Coleman
Bench: ?????? Out of AhChee, Madden, Prior, Answerth, Payne, Lester, Michael, Uosis and the new boy, the flavour of the month (Darcy Wilmot).
7 possibles for round 1 and a couple of unlikely’s in Michael and Uosis.

He was fantastic at the back end of the year. He is a much more natural defender than a forward.
Someone else with a bit of speed in replace of Birchall from the Bulldogs game and we have our starting backline.
Gardiner, Adams, Starcevich
Rich, Andrews, Coleman
Bench: ?????? Out of AhChee, Madden, Prior, Answerth, Payne, Lester, Michael, Uosis and the new boy, the flavour of the month (Darcy Wilmot).
7 possibles for round 1 and a couple of unlikely’s in Michael and Uosis.
The club loves Answerth. If fit and back to his best, I think he'd get the first crack at it.

Obviously, there's also the slight unknown about Starce's future role. Midfield - v Lockdown Defender - v Rebounding Defender. I prefer the last option. I'd much rather play Answerth/Wilmot in a defensive role and give Starce greater attacking freedom than move him to the midfield, at this point. Of course, a huge preseason in the guts would change my mind!

The club loves Answerth. If fit and back to his best, I think he'd get the first crack at it.

Obviously, there's also the slight unknown about Starce's future role. Midfield - v Lockdown Defender - v Rebounding Defender. I prefer the last option. I'd much rather play Answerth/Wilmot in a defensive role and give Starce greater attacking freedom than move him to the midfield, at this point. Of course, a huge preseason in the guts would change my mind!
That would be my preference too, which definitely makes me think it is either Answerth or Wilmot to replace Birchalls spot in the team. With Answerth or Wilmot to be more of a lockdown and
Kiddy or Starce to replace Birchalls role.

So Tunstill is in Brisneyland....

Not sure whether the ground is level that they are standing on or not but he looks a bit taller than all of Hugh, Ely and Dev in that photo.
Good to see Ely there as well. Welcoming the new boy.

Berrygood

All Australian
Aug 27, 2017
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not sure whether the ground is level that they are standing on or not but he looks a bit taller than all of Hugh, Ely and Dev in that photo.
Good to see Ely there as well. Welcoming the new boy.
I was just thinking the same of Ely being part of the welcoming committee. I'd really like to see him come on as a player and in particular as that inside bull we drafted him as. I hope he can jump the pecking order over Matho (as much as I like him) and CEY. I know Fagan likes his players to have other strings to their bow, but I think some players are better served focusing on their strengths and playing there. I think sometimes we have too much focus on 'jacks of all trades' rather than a 'master of one' and it might cruel or hinder development in some players. Sure, we do need some players that can cover multiple positions, I get that, covering injuries or changing things up in a game. I'm just saying there are some that can handle it and some that can't. I think Ely is one of them.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Anybody attend? Did they time trial? Are they likely to be at the same place on Wednesday? PM please if the answer to the final question should be kept on the d-low.
I arrived just as they finished (smh), after dropping our daughter at daycare. Got home and wife says I could of taken our daughter down earlier to watch them and have breakfast (smhx2).

There was a fair media contingent there, that got some training footage and were then setting up for interviews.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back