Training 2022 Pre-season

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
One question mark I had on Dev is his ability to put on size. Can safely say he's looking ******* good. Getting that Ben Cousins body vibe from him. Just a super ripped dude that's not overly big but powerful and quick
Not sure that's a great comparison tbh. Dev is listed at 185cm and 85kg. Cousins 179cm and 78kg. Dev could very well mature around the 90kg mark. Seems a much heavier build to me and more of a power athlete than an athletic (running power) freak like cousins.

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not sure that's a great comparison tbh. Dev is listed at 185cm and 85kg. Cousins 179cm and 78kg. Dev could very well mature around the 90kg mark. Seems a much heavier build to me and more of a power athlete than an athletic (running power) freak like cousins.
I just said his size and build. Yeah taller people are generally heavier.... Don't care for running power. I doubt Cousins was playing at 79 kg too.
1642035429817.png

Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I just said his size and build. Yeah taller people are generally heavier.... Don't care for running power. I doubt Cousins was playing at 79 kg too. View attachment 1310126
Yeah I'm sure we are splitting hairs, but I just wouldn't describe Dev as not being overly big. Think he will end up/ already is quite a beast.

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah I'm sure we are splitting hairs, but I just wouldn't describe Dev as not being overly big. Think he will end up/ already is quite a beast.
I'm hopeful he can get above that 88kg mark. I was just more commenting on his draft year. From my eyes he didn't look overly large and I speculated he might have trouble being adding mass to go with his inside game. Then again I said the same for Clugga and he's seemed to be on some decent size.

acuguy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 31, 2000
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Ben Cousins, Robert Harvey and Nigel Lappin set the standard on work rate in my time. Lappin and Cousins as serious pace, Harvey like a Kenyan long distance runner- unbelievable.

Mar 13, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Bruins, Dodgers, Bulls, SEM Phoenix
One question mark I had on Dev is his ability to put on size. Can safely say he's looking ******* good. Getting that Ben Cousins body vibe from him. Just a super ripped dude that's not overly big but powerful and quick
as long as body is the only trait he ever gets from Ben Cousins

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Was Cousins size even noteworthy? He was very strong and a great ball winner with strong instincts but from what I remember it was running ability that separated him from the rest. Had an absolutely beastly ability to outwork his opponents.
When it came to running - real gut running, then Cousins was the example you could use. I watched him one night at the Gabba, last Qtr, gave a handball in the defensive goal square that started a break out play and he followed it all the way down the field always in a position to be involved and finally was involved again in the goal square for the end to end goal. He promptly turned around, hand on hips, and threw up with exhaustion. (That was in the add break on TV) That's what I remember of him, he was certainly one of my favourite players back then. Assisted in some way or not, he could just push and push. I reckon Harry Sharp could have his running ability then you would have to add someone else's ball winning ability in traffic, maybe even Lachie Neale. If Dev was that combination, I'd sell my Ben Cousins signed jersey from his Brownlow year and buy Dev's.

Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
When it came to running - real gut running, then Cousins was the example you could use. I watched him one night at the Gabba, last Qtr, gave a handball in the defensive goal square that started a break out play and he followed it all the way down the field always in a position to be involved and finally was involved again in the goal square for the end to end goal. He promptly turned around, hand on hips, and threw up with exhaustion. (That was in the add break on TV) That's what I remember of him, he was certainly one of my favourite players back then. Assisted in some way or not, he could just push and push. I reckon Harry Sharp could have his running ability then you would have to add someone else's ball winning ability in traffic, maybe even Lachie Neale. If Dev was that combination, I'd sell my Ben Cousins signed jersey from his Brownlow year and buy Dev's.
I didn't follow football as closely during his time at Brisbane, but I remember thinking or hearing J Sherman was potentially that style of player?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I didn't follow football as closely during his time at Brisbane, but I remember thinking or hearing J Sherman was potentially that style of player?
I've read a few jibs on here about Sherman over the years. He certainly did like to run and had great leg speed, sometimes in the wrong places and without the ball. He was one of my favourites at the time with his line breaking but a little less reliable than Cousins and he probably didn't work back in defence like Cousins did. It could have been said Sherman was more about himself, was more flamboyant externally than Cousins who fought his demons inside his own head. Sherman played on the outside and had a similar kicking action to Ben Keays with the ducking of the head at impact, in fact he played a lot like Benny Keays does now although Sherman was more outside where Keays does more inside and tackles better. Cousins was a full field player, Sherman looked good in the forward half. So after 100 games or so he was traded to the Bulldogs where his flamboyance (mouth) got him in some trouble and nothing more became of him.

Unless my memory is like a complete goldfish, but has anyone seen Lyons training at all in the pre-season, like I know he might be quite busy with the missus looking after their new baby, but it's still weird that we haven't seen him much of him at training with the boys lately ever since the end of last year's season?

Unless my memory is like a complete goldfish, but has anyone seen Lyons training at all in the pre-season, like I know he might be quite busy with the missus looking after their new baby, but it's still weird that we haven't seen him much of him at training with the boys lately ever since the end of last year's season?
Haven’t seen him in the photos but have seen him at a couple of sessions when I was there.

Haven’t seen him in the photos but have seen him at a couple of sessions when I was there.
That's good to hear at least, just was little bit concerned of him not being in any of the photos throughout the pre-season & maybe having an interrupted pre-season as a result of the new baby and everything associated with that (given he is one of our mature players at the club), but at least he is still training with the rest of the players which is a good sign for him, thanks for the update :)

Brisbane have turned up the pressure cooker in a hard-hitting week on the track.

In a contested footy focus, the mouth guards were in as the Lions completed a number of tackling and match intensity drills:
  • Rhys Mathieson looks to be in career best shape and was vocal amongst the group as he continues to press for a spot in Chris Fagan’s best 22.

• Eric Hipwood has lifted his running load, completing laps at a fast pace as he eyes of a return mid-year. Almost unrecognisable, the 24-year old shed the weight of a different kind over the weekend, swapping the long hair for the buzz cut in a completely new look.

• Jarrod Berry seems to have put his injury riddled 2021 behind him, looking ferocious in the Lions contested drills where he impressively broke a strong tackle, spun and hit Nakia Cockatoo lace out in the 50.

• Carter Michael is doing a lot right and is shaping as one to watch in 2022, impressing with his laser left foot and rebound off half-back.

• Noah Answerth was a tackling machine in the Lions match simulation drills, applying plenty of heavy hits and pressure as he continues to eye his return.

• Connor McFadyen is looking dangerous in the forward line with his strong hands and impressive leap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back