Training 2022 Pre-season

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
briztoon
I have blown one of the group photos up for you
Maybe you will pick a player up from this one
Click on the photo to enlarge as it will be a little easier to try and pick someone out.
Still a bit hard though
Sorry i just did not take that much notice on the younger guys other that the 3 draft picks this year

5aYiZ7rpLuGprwzS-aMbtg3qMGIqlrAQqcwB8a6wYO64xI3EwKgzuDmsm494sLwcHVJPv69R-ntuRh0D0B6Rnv3VQPMZHQa2CMPLImMMCCEUNGa8cQZND164E3-tpRlWz25x7OKJ266-yfMhMOIhJ24ij1tkCJq8mXhPQHgu429O7Hq-LNXqBWKj0ed0OEY0LYlGeqqRAHQtCRn9VNo6R3UjFV5DAaDk1phg5h8f2-fknMKg5cWFWpQx5PVFP09QWAe4xANfEfGJDwspl5ENBnBHJz0b9YyIx0Vld9iTQ96bUPbUf8n0UllHSc7-Z5RqyaUfJB31F4N7ywZR1FJN0Ki_rtF3jUEaoD6T241YqPt8-RjVsfmEzU316B7MyoNq5iPRMra2HwZHsGaDHrR9iwTYIvxYHW84Ym2R5yMTK9SDQvhnKw4taZ137U201yF0Xlr5MKiLugvICD3KHEHYwku5IAz1ARzpzL1_t7ipkaXvgQ9rGA3BuzmjNIU98ZxLgS5nEw1b0Z2wB5qRmyqpcymCxzDJRl-FFJeudmpDA9KYZm7y9RFdwT2D2NzFUJU_1hSp-WdTaH6_Ynz3mUEzXyz7MXMjJ9wl_xNGYGzJeWQ5KD4tYfdJk3ybzl52rTZ7vnrRIa3J7-zpi9agdDOlES8msyOG_nWLuFa9oy3_QmAcUa_dIeFs6U_02OrTpRCFTEq5uNkLYdmKFt9Pvthwatf6tA=w1611-h532-no

Interesting interpretations for this season. I will be potentially melting less at the football if they cut down on the time wasting stuff.

I’m just glad you’ll still be melting at the same rate on here. Bless you.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
HTB is indeed hotly debated and a rule interpretation change will have umpires over ruling in the preseason and the opening 4 or so games
This happens all the time and not fair on players. I am not so concerned initially about the fans as their is always 50% against the free weather correct or not
The coaches and players will get AFL videos explaining the changes. Also umpires will attend each club to explain how they will apply the rule

Just going on Brad Scott interview and video

Question 1: No free kick if - Lachie once tackled immediately & legally disposes the ball.
The change will have quality players like Lachie who get out an effective handball under pressure have their disposal efficiency reduced i imagine, or risk a free kick
Question 2: This is Marcus decision he can certainly take on the incoming opposition player and probably should do so if he has close backup. But he runs the risk of incoming opposition player getting a hold of his jumper/body. If Marcus tries to push his way past risks a HTB free unless he immediately & legally disposes the ball whilst the jumper/body is being held
My interpretation is we should all look at HTB rule this way
The very first thing is "prior opportunity" no matter how little time is involved
Then the new part "disposal immediately & legally when tackled by jumper/body"
Just another technical rule that umpires need to adjudicate on that's got too much grey area. Interpretations will once again vary from umpire to umpire. This game is fast becoming a bridge too far to deliberate consistently.

Mar 12, 2003
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane
Attended the training session today with intention to take some photos
Usually take wildlife photos mostly birds. I must have messed up settings as hardly any turned out acceptable. However will post a few tomorrow
I can't give a detailed post of training as i struggle to do two things at once in my old age
However some information on the forum is better than nothing
My take on the training session from 7.30am. They may have done some things prior to 7.30
Temperature: 7.30am 26.3 (apparent temperature 30.2), 8.30am 28.7 (32.3), 9.30am (33.8)

The guys i noticed doing laps: Hippy, CEY, Henry Smith, Wilmot, Lohmann
Tunstill started with the midfield group of Neale, Lyons & Mathieson but that's just a casual observation with the first drill
Zorko took it easy as he looked like he was just helping out the assistant coaches
Fagan observes everything while the assistants run the session
The usual warm up running drills but no laps. They may have done some laps before i arrived at 7.30
They broke up into 3 or 4 groups. Moving from one drill to another after a set time.
I only concentrated on the group in front of me doing drills over the training period
One drill: agility running between closely placed plastic colored poles then a handball receive. Repeated until called to next close position
Drill two: 4 players involved. A couple of quick handballs between 2 players with another defending then a handball receive and offload a handball to player number 4
Did not look like a stoppage drill more like a get out of trouble handball drill
Next up
I assume was more of a defensive drill as it was difficult for the offence players to kick their way through the closed up defense
Only using less than a 1/4 of the ground so possibly a boundary defense drill
Then just some basic kick and ball handling drills handball receives and offload to a leading player using 3/4 of the ground
Once again in different groups. Probably a covid training precaution
Had a few breaks during the session for discussions
The last main drill and by far the hardest on the players but one they probably enjoyed the most
Three groups: Lions jumpers, Green shirts & Orange shirts
Two groups were involved at all times. One offense one defense. The coach in control called out which group was defending next after a turnover
Once one group turned the ball over it started all over again no break
Drill started close to my position which was slightly defensive side of wing. Then once a turnover happened the ball came out of goal square
This is what i could gather from the assistant coach starting off the drill nearest my position
Find a loose player leading up with a short pass or two with the intention of looking for a switch player either in the middle or slightly in defense
Once that switch player has possession then break with some long kicks either to wing or half forward then goal or FF
Emphasis from the assistant coach was on backing up to get into a offensive position
Of course as soon as someone turned the ball over that offensive position player found he was defending
I left just before 10am when the session looked over but noticed some players were doing laps and other stuff as i was leaving
Maybe just a warm down run
This is such good stuff. Cheers Section 5!
The holding the ball rule has always been one that is hotly debated from club to club depending on who's team gets the free kick. The thing I dislike about a rule change such as this one is the extreme the umpires are instructed to implement the new rule which takes away other parts of the game we have enjoyed for decades.
Question 1: If Lachie picks up the ball from a centre clearance & waits for the opposition player to lay the tackle before he disposes of the ball to a team mate, is that considered "holding the ball" now because he had prior opportunity? Even if he has hands free and is able to dispose of the ball legally while being tackled because he could have disposed of it before the opposition player attempts a tackle?
Question 2: If Adams has the ball in defence and has an opposition player coming at him who is well undersize compared to Marcus, is he no longer permitted take on the tackler knowing he can get past him easily and run the ball up into attack?

To me, by reading the rule change, is no longer allowed. Interested in others thoughts.
Question 1: He's allowed to wait for the tackle but then must dispose immediately. I think that provided his arms aren't pinned, he'll still be given a reasonable period of time (half a second perhaps) to legally dispose. No mention of degrees in the AFL's spiel yesterday, but you would imagine if he gets slung 360 without disposing he'll be in a bit of bother.

Question 2: As far as I can tell, if you are good enough and strong enough to break a tackle, then you can do so without being penalised. Provided you do so within a reasonable period of time. And don't do something stupid like try and bounce the ball at the same time!

Broadly I agree with Section 5's answers.

By the way, is Starce training? Never seem to see him in any photos and I know a couple of people here were asking about him before Xmas.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
briztoon
I have blown one of the group photos up for you
Maybe you will pick a player up from this one
Click on the photo to enlarge as it will be a little easier to try and pick someone out.
Still a bit hard though
Sorry i just did not take that much notice on the younger guys other that the 3 draft picks this year

5aYiZ7rpLuGprwzS-aMbtg3qMGIqlrAQqcwB8a6wYO64xI3EwKgzuDmsm494sLwcHVJPv69R-ntuRh0D0B6Rnv3VQPMZHQa2CMPLImMMCCEUNGa8cQZND164E3-tpRlWz25x7OKJ266-yfMhMOIhJ24ij1tkCJq8mXhPQHgu429O7Hq-LNXqBWKj0ed0OEY0LYlGeqqRAHQtCRn9VNo6R3UjFV5DAaDk1phg5h8f2-fknMKg5cWFWpQx5PVFP09QWAe4xANfEfGJDwspl5ENBnBHJz0b9YyIx0Vld9iTQ96bUPbUf8n0UllHSc7-Z5RqyaUfJB31F4N7ywZR1FJN0Ki_rtF3jUEaoD6T241YqPt8-RjVsfmEzU316B7MyoNq5iPRMra2HwZHsGaDHrR9iwTYIvxYHW84Ym2R5yMTK9SDQvhnKw4taZ137U201yF0Xlr5MKiLugvICD3KHEHYwku5IAz1ARzpzL1_t7ipkaXvgQ9rGA3BuzmjNIU98ZxLgS5nEw1b0Z2wB5qRmyqpcymCxzDJRl-FFJeudmpDA9KYZm7y9RFdwT2D2NzFUJU_1hSp-WdTaH6_Ynz3mUEzXyz7MXMjJ9wl_xNGYGzJeWQ5KD4tYfdJk3ybzl52rTZ7vnrRIa3J7-zpi9agdDOlES8msyOG_nWLuFa9oy3_QmAcUa_dIeFs6U_02OrTpRCFTEq5uNkLYdmKFt9Pvthwatf6tA=w1611-h532-no
Cheers Section 5. From what I can tell, it looks like just Will and Jaspa, plus the VFL top ups.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just another technical rule that umpires need to adjudicate on that's got too much grey area. Interpretations will once again vary from umpire to umpire. This game is fast becoming a bridge too far to deliberate consistently.
Yes the game is regularly referred to as "Australian Rules Football" and for good reason. That being the Rules part
When i first played as a junior (early 60's) we were all given a book of rules of the game for Australian Rules Football.
At age 10 i learnt the rules. You could say i knew them backwards as i loved playing the game and wanted to abide by the rules
I never read the rules again from that point on up until i finished playing seniors mid 1970's in the then QAFL competition
I/we just adjusted to any changes. I assume the modern player does something similar
Their were always interpretations in the 60/70's but nowhere near what the modern player has to adjust to from year to year
However i do read the rules from time to time in my old age just to see how long winded they have become over the years
For season 2022 the Laws of Australian Football have not changed from the link below (the 2021 rules) which runs to 71 pages.
Just the interpretation of a few.

I am sure players and umpires will settle into things by round 3/4

Brisbane Lions captain Dayne Zorko could be set for a “major” positional change in 2022.

Zorko, 32, has predominantly played as a midfielder/forward across his 208 games, however, his 11th season in the AFL could see him move to the backline.

Known for his elite speed and ball use, Brownlow medallist Gerard Healy feels the move to defence would be a good move for the veteran.

“I’m hearing there may be a major positional move for a very important player up at Brisbane,” Healy said on Sportsday.

Dayne Zorko, I’m hearing, may be producing his wizardry at half back.

“Bit of rebound and a little bit more extra pace.”

After being knocked out of last year’s finals in straight sets, Brisbane will look to finally get over the hump in 2022 after finishing in the top four in the last three seasons, but ultimately falling short.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane Lions captain Dayne Zorko could be set for a “major” positional change in 2022.

Zorko, 32, has predominantly played as a midfielder/forward across his 208 games, however, his 11th season in the AFL could see him move to the backline.

Known for his elite speed and ball use, Brownlow medallist Gerard Healy feels the move to defence would be a good move for the veteran.

“I’m hearing there may be a major positional move for a very important player up at Brisbane,” Healy said on Sportsday.

“Dayne Zorko, I’m hearing, may be producing his wizardry at half back.

“Bit of rebound and a little bit more extra pace.”

After being knocked out of last year’s finals in straight sets, Brisbane will look to finally get over the hump in 2022 after finishing in the top four in the last three seasons, but ultimately falling short.
I like the idea for his run and pace and tackling ability and I think in the backline his ball use will be ok.
Would be a bit concerned with his 1v1 defensive ability and maybe marking ability as well.
If Answerth is fit and able as a lockdown it may allow Zorko to move back and Starce to spend a bit more time further up the field.

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I like the idea for his run and pace and tackling ability and I think in the backline his ball use will be ok.
Would be a bit concerned with his 1v1 defensive ability and maybe marking ability as well.
If Answerth is fit and able as a lockdown it may allow Zorko to move back and Starce to spend a bit more time further up the field.

I see Zorko playing a role like Laird played for many years before this past year. So not a defender per se but more of a link between the defense and the midfield.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Zorko to defense does not feel right to me.
However i am a bit of a fan of certain midfield players moving into a half back flank role
Zorko is a super player but his weakness is overhead marking and being small does not help.
Caleb Daniel is a similar size but he is a fairly reliable overhead mark when put in that position and under pressure compared to Zorko

Who does Zorko replace ??. Will it be a small and how does it affect our balance in defense.

I doubt it will be Starcevich & hope it is not Kiddy.
Then we have Answerth, Madden, Ah Chee, Carter Michael, Darcy Wilmot & possibly Prior

Like most teams we have many players on our list that can play midfield or stints in the midfield
Tier 1: Zorko (player mentioned), Neale, Lyons, McCluggage, Bailey
Tier 2: Robbo, J Berry, Cam Rayner could easily move into tier 1 on potential
Tier 3: Dev Robertson, Jackson Prior, Sharp & Mathieson
Tier 4: Yet to debut - E. Smith, J Tunstall & maybe Lohmann
Forwards that can play midfield - McCarthy, Cockatoo, Charlie, CEY & maybe T Berry

Who would i choose from the above list that is "a major positional move for a very important player".
I would choose Mitch Robbo or Jared Berry over Zorko
However don't see the need for anyone at present
Once intraclub games start we may get a better idea of coaches intentions

Wasn't Lachie Neale mentioned last year as playing stints in defense
From memory he did play small stints in defense preseason. That may have been due to injury worries at the time

Zorko to defense does not feel right to me.
However i am a bit of a fan of certain midfield players moving into a half back flank role
Zorko is a super player but his weakness is overhead marking and being small does not help.
Caleb Daniel is a similar size but he is a fairly reliable overhead mark when put in that position and under pressure compared to Zorko

Who does Zorko replace ??. Will it be a small and how does it affect our balance in defense.

I doubt it will be Starcevich & hope it is not Kiddy.
Then we have Answerth, Madden, Ah Chee, Carter Michael, Darcy Wilmot & possibly Prior

Like most teams we have many players on our list that can play midfield or stints in the midfield
Tier 1: Zorko (player mentioned), Neale, Lyons, McCluggage, Bailey
Tier 2: Robbo, J Berry, Cam Rayner could easily move into tier 1 on potential
Tier 3: Dev Robertson, Jackson Prior, Sharp & Mathieson
Tier 4: Yet to debut - E. Smith, J Tunstall & maybe Lohmann
Forwards that can play midfield - McCarthy, Cockatoo, Charlie, CEY & maybe T Berry

Who would i choose from the above list that is "a major positional move for a very important player".
I would choose Mitch Robbo or Jared Berry over Zorko
However don't see the need for anyone at present
Once intraclub games start we may get a better idea of coaches intentions

Wasn't Lachie Neale mentioned last year as playing stints in defense
From memory he did play small stints in defense preseason. That may have been due to injury worries at the time
If the Zorko talk is even remotely true??
Then we look back to the last game last year and Zorks would replace Birchall without any other changes to the named defensive 7 on that occasion.

Gardiner Adams Starcevich
Rich Andrews Zorko
With Kiddy on the bench

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Then we look back to the last game last year and Zorks would replace Birchall without any other changes to the named defensive 7 on that occasion.

Rich Andrews Zorko
With Kiddy on the bench
That’s my thoughts too.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I imagine he replaces the retired Birchall.
Maybe so but losing our top 3 player to halfback i don't believe improves the team overall
We have a few others that could easily take Birchalls role

Rich Andrews Zorko
With Kiddy on the bench
I would back the Dogs & other top 4 sides to overwhelm us with that backline
I just don't believe the Zorko talk is true
We lose so much with one of the AFL's best mids out of our midfield
Gain very little if anything should he take a half back role

Rich Andrews Zorko
With Kiddy on the bench
I can see why we are trialling with Zorko at HB (given our experienced recruitments of Hodge/Birchall down there in the past) but it just feels like it is such a desperate move from Fages and the coaches to find a position for Zorko to stay relevant in our Best 22 in the next 2-3 years at the club.

Now don't get me wrong in saying that Zorko has been an amazing player for the past 10 years at our football club, with him winning multiple B/Fs at the club and AAs as well across the competition and is a well-liked leader & figure at the club with players & coaches alike also, but given the fact we have quite a bundle of young talented midfield/half-forwards at the club now & beyond with much more long-term potenial then Zorko has (McCluggage, J.Berry, Rayner, Bailey, Robertson, T.Berry, Sharp, Coleman, Cockatoo, Ashcroft, Fletcher, etc), there won't be much room for Zorko in that area of the ground in the future and I can't see him being in our Best 22 for much longer IMO (1-2 years max) unless he can translate his superb playing ability at half-back for us.

In my opinion, rather we first trial the vacant HB positioning to a young player (Ah Chee, Answerth, Coleman, Madden, Michael, Wilmot, etc) and have Zorko start on the bench for us (come Round 1 selections) to help improve our team in the short & long-term future at the club, before we start getting crazy with our team throughout the season.

Maybe so but losing our top 3 player to halfback i don't believe improves the team overall
We have a few others that could easily take Birchalls role

I would back the Dogs & other top 4 sides to overwhelm us with that backline
I just don't believe the Zorko talk is true
We lose so much with one of the AFL's best mids out of our midfield
Gain very little if anything should he take a half back role
We are just talking about some speculation really but I do think that Zorko would potentially add something that we have been lacking for a long long time and that is some run from the back half.
He is a naturally attacking player and will take the game on at times.
Birchall was on his last legs and to be honest really didn’t offer much last year.
We would also be a better team defensively, being able to cover the ground better with a more speedy option than Birch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back