Training 2022 Pre-season

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm no medical person at all, so I'm asking this question with no preconception either way. When you do an ACL and you get all the surgery and the rehab etc etc, does this make you more/less/equally likely to do it again in the future? I think about David Schwarz back in the 90's going down like 3 times in quick succession, but I think with the benefit of hindsight people now say he came back too soon each time?

I recall hearing that when blokes start doing hammies they become more likely to do them in future. On the other hand I broke my femur (thigh bone) clean in half about 10 years ago, so they opened me up, put a massive titanium rod right down the bone and now it's literally unbreakable!

Anyone got any insight either way on this?

The ligament itself will be stronger. This is because they use a thicker tendon from the patella, hamstrings or quadriceps to replace the initial ACL. So the new ACL will be able to handle more load than a native acl. Then again, the factors that made Cam susceptible to an ACL like his biomechanics and alignment will likely persist so he will always be at risk. I see Hipwood as less likely to do his again as his was more due to trauma and getting his leg twisted whereas Cams was more innocuous twisting motion.

I am not an orthopod though so others will probably know better

I'm no medical person at all, so I'm asking this question with no preconception either way. When you do an ACL and you get all the surgery and the rehab etc etc, does this make you more/less/equally likely to do it again in the future? I think about David Schwarz back in the 90's going down like 3 times in quick succession, but I think with the benefit of hindsight people now say he came back too soon each time?

I recall hearing that when blokes start doing hammies they become more likely to do them in future. On the other hand I broke my femur (thigh bone) clean in half about 10 years ago, so they opened me up, put a massive titanium rod right down the bone and now it's literally unbreakable!

Anyone got any insight either way on this?

Stronger after surgery but highly likely to almosr definately likely to recur if activity that involves lateral movement is resumed in less than nine months.

Hence the comment that Hippy wants to return earlier but it isn't going to happen.

Stronger after surgery but highly likely to almosr definately likely to recur if activity that involves lateral movement is resumed in less than nine months.

Hence the comment that Hippy wants to return earlier but it isn't going to happen.
Watch this space.

If May is being talked about as a potential return date, that's 10 months from date of injury. But yeah, under 9 months would be a worry.

Seems 10 is the new 12 when it comes to ACL's. McFadyen had a little hiccup in his recovery but was still 10 months from memory.

The medico's would never make a risky decision on bringing someone back earlier than he was ready....especially some as important to the team as him. In saying that, I would trust their decision 100% no matter how early or late they decide to let him loose.

Totally, but I don't see them bringing him back in under 9 months as there is plenty to of medical evidence to suggest how risky that would be. If he's going well I could see them doing 9-10 months though.

The medico's would never make a risky decision on bringing someone back earlier than he was ready....especially some as important to the team as him. In saying that, I would trust their decision 100% no matter how early or late they decide to let him loose.
I understand the importance that medical staff now play in todays football clubs. I don't mind waiting those extra couple months and not rushing Hipwood back as he really was starting to come into his own and playing a major critical role in our forward line. There are not too many in the league similar to how he plays and was invaluable as that link person from the back half to the forward half. As my optimistic grandmother used to say, "Plan for the worse and hope for the best." Wait the extra couple of months if need be especially when if it gives Hipwood a block of games prior to finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watch this space.

Watched a Fagan video this week and he said hippy wants to come back early but it won't be happening cause they needed to look after him.

The evidence re recovery time is crystal clear - and it's minimum of nine months, preferable 12. I'd be worried if they fast tracked him.

Watched a Fagan video this week and he said hippy wants to come back early but it won't be happening cause they needed to look after him.

The evidence re recovery time is crystal clear - and it's minimum of nine months, preferable 12. I'd be worried if they fast tracked him.
I don't think that's quite true. What I've read and heard is that recovery is based on achieving milestones, the final of which can happen as early 6 months post-surgery. There are standard timeframes for meeting those milestones but I don't think that time is the defining factor. If someone meets a milestone early, they can then progress in their recovery to the next phase. At least, that's what I think is the case. I'm no expert and maybe some who is will weigh in.

But I am a huge believer in not second guessing the medicos. They might not always get it right but I think they always have sound medical judgment and player welfare at heart. If they clear Hippy, then it will be based on science and the player's recovery. I think the days are long gone of club medicos taking risks with players' health.

Crypto is safe as houses.

Good thing they're not sponsoring a NSW club then, given half the headlines down here are about dodgy apartment buildings being unsafe for occupation...

Crypto is safe as houses.

I remember laughing at a dear University friend in late 2017 when he was BEGGING me to put money into crypto. Thought it was all nonsense.

If I spent more time investing in crypto and less time shitposting on BigFooty my life would be so different.

I don't think that's quite true. What I've read and heard is that recovery is based on achieving milestones, the final of which can happen as early 6 months post-surgery. There are standard timeframes for meeting those milestones but I don't think that time is the defining factor. If someone meets a milestone early, they can then progress in their recovery to the next phase. At least, that's what I think is the case. I'm no expert and maybe some who is will weigh in.

But I am a huge believer in not second guessing the medicos. They might not always get it right but I think they always have sound medical judgment and player welfare at heart. If they clear Hippy, then it will be based on science and the player's recovery. I think the days are long gone of club medicos taking risks with players' health.
Screenshot_2021-12-07-15-00-42-74_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

I remember laughing at a dear University friend in late 2017 when he was BEGGING me to put money into crypto. Thought it was all nonsense.

If I spent more time investing in crypto and less time shitposting on BigFooty my life would be so different.
Crypto is a bubble. I won't deny blockchain has its uses, but the cryptocurrencies are all speculative investments that only have value if others think it has value. The minute that stops being the case, it's worthless.

But I digress. Keen for more training updates soon.

Bitcoin was $1 in April of 2011 and jumped to $32 in June...... now worth $72,434.55 :eek:

Had a quick look on the Port board. To say they are a bit flat with their round 1 fixture would be a mild understatement.

To say there are a few that want Ken sacked would also be a mild understatement.

Set timelines with an ACL need to be taken with a bit of a grain of salt. It's all about ticking off milestones (i.e. triple hop scores / single leg press weights etc.) I no longer work in MSK so can't say one way or another what substantial changes have been made in the field. I know we use the Melbourne ACL protocol here which includes scoring a certain score on their return to sport criteria to qualify. I'm sure they will be careful with Hipwood but if he's cleared in 9-10 months they may let him loose.

In terms of being more susceptible - yeah probably. The graft is stronger than your natural ligament but the number of re-ruptures indicate there is a higher risk.

Biomechanics etc wouldn't come into very much at all with Rayner. That was just a bloody freak accident / awkward landing that could happen to anyone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back