Training 2022 Pre-season

Remove this Banner Ad

Both signed long’ish contracts at their new clubs.
yes I believe 3 years and 4 years, and for pretty good coin. If able to become permanent best 22 players, when their next contracts comes around you would expect Coleman-Jones and Chol to be probably on even more money, $550-$600K+ That's one of my points (from earlier post), stay at a club and be a fringe player, being frustrated at not getting a decent crack, or seek an opportunity, and if any good earn more money sooner as you have more AFL exposure. Pretty sure a few player managers would encouraging exploring opportunities, especially if a fringe player already has some AFL games.

FWIW, like all Lions supporters, I hope we keep our fringe players, gives us a strong squad.

Who was the last fringe player we lost, that the club didn’t want to lose?

For me, a fringe player is a player in that 23 to 30/33 bracket. Very close to best 22, and potentially ready to replace another player in the best 22.

Players I’d consider fringe players (depends if they’re in your best 22 or not).
Payne
Lester
Madden
*Answerth
Mathieson
T.Berry
Sharp
Fullerton
Ah Chee
*Cockatoo
Fort

Note: I have K.Coleman, Prior and Robertson all in my best 22.

Answerth and Cockatoo have to prove to me they are over their injuries before they really cement their place as borderline best 22 quality.

And I’m not including the draftees just yet, as they haven’t shown anything yet.

Poor Ah Chee lol. Played 39 games in two seasons, & is considered a fringe player.

You're a tough marker Briz.

A fringe player is a fringe player, whether as a club they want them or not?
Correct?
There are many so called fringe players that are no longer at the club.
And you don’t need me to spell them out.
I do believe there is a difference between losing players the club wants to keep, compared to one the club encourages to look for opportunities elsewhere.

I do believe there is a difference between losing players the club wants to keep, compared to one the club encourages to look for opportunities elsewhere.

The club kept who they wanted to keep - in no way were they willing to overpay for depth players.

I cant think of any fringe players we have lost recently. There are a few we have let go but none I recall that went on their own.
I suppose you could argue the circumstances they left but at the time Henderson, Crisp and Docherty were kinda fringe but potentially good even if we traded them as part of a package or they simply wanted to leave. I go back to the great team we had and that period of sustained success 2000 to 20004 we started loosing fringe players Jason Gram, Craig bolton types. I think clubs tends to get it right, managers may talk their clients into looking around and that manifests in public statements or within a bigger trade. A fringe player I would generally think is a player that does not see a clear path forward to playing infront of big crowds each week and earning a dec ent wage. Their leaving can be of their own doing but generally would be another club asking the question about more regular games and/or their manager shopping them around at the right time.

I cant think of any fringe players we have lost recently. There are a few we have let go but none I recall that went on their own.
only one can think of
i thought we had a contract for Hinge if he wanted
He got one from Crows.. then did the shoulder again.

Also Keays and Walker done well after they left.
They would of only got games if people were injured if they stayed

only one can think of
i thought we had a contract for Hinge if he wanted
He got one from Crows.. then did the shoulder again.

Also Keays and Walker done well after they left.
They would of only got games if people were injured if they stayed
Yes, Hingie was offered a contract by The Lions but only a 1 year contract. He decided to go south because of a better offer.

Keaysey has been amazing and really good to see him thrive at the Crows. His disposal is still not afl standard in my opinion & Walker has been good playing for a team who is well & truly the worst performing in the comp.

Yes, Hingie was offered a contract by The Lions but only a 1 year contract. He decided to go south because of a better offer.

Keaysey has been amazing and really good to see him thrive at the Crows. His disposal is still not afl standard in my opinion & Walker has been good playing for a team who is well & truly the worst performing in the comp.
I think Cutler may have also been offered a contract. Yes is good to see ex lions fringe players doing well at other clubs, and all the best to Sam Skinner next season

The fringe players at our club are in a different position to fringe players at other clubs I think. We have a very good spread of ages now, it's easier for them to see the clubs evolution, to see positions open up as retirements and injuries take their toll or as hired guns contracts expire and return home/move on. Then there are players like CEY, Lester and Matho that will soon, if not already, be overtaken. Form and patience will be rewarded here. Competition for these openings will ensure the cream rises to the top. Some of these fringe players will be best 22 for a long time. Some will become valuable depth players and clubmen but still have a satisfying career. Some will not develop as expected or be cruelled by injury and fall by the wayside. And yes, some will seek opportunities elsewhere. That's football. I would much rather be a fringe player here than at many other clubs.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plenty of fringe players in the list of players OOC 2022 >

Darcy Gardiner
Thomas Berry
Noah Answerth
Daniel McStay
Cam Ellis-Yolman (R)
Ely Smith
Nakia Cockatoo
Deven Robertson
Jaxon Prior
Ryan Lester
Deividas Uosis (R)
Blake Coleman
Henry Smith
Daniel Rich
Dayne Zorko
Carter Michael (R)
Connor McFadyen
Mitch Robinson
Tom Fullarton
Kalin Lane (R)
James Madden (R)
The 2 most obvious delists are CEY and E.Smith, they will have to turn around their form dramatically to earn another contract, close behind them are Madden, Uosis, B.Coleman, McFadyen, Michael in terms of pressure to perform. Mitch Robbo likely to retire at end of season IMO.

Plenty of fringe players in the list of players OOC 2022 >

Darcy Gardiner
Thomas Berry
Noah Answerth
Daniel McStay
Cam Ellis-Yolman (R)
Ely Smith
Nakia Cockatoo
Deven Robertson
Jaxon Prior
Ryan Lester
Deividas Uosis (R)
Blake Coleman
Henry Smith
Daniel Rich
Dayne Zorko
Carter Michael (R)
Connor McFadyen
Mitch Robinson
Tom Fullarton
Kalin Lane (R)
James Madden (R)
The 2 most obvious delists are CEY and E.Smith, they will have to turn around their form dramatically to earn another contract, close behind them are Madden, Uosis, B.Coleman, McFadyen, Michael in terms of pressure to perform. Mitch Robbo likely to retire at end of season IMO.
With the potential increase to list sizes again there could be a fair bit of movement next season, would be interesting to know where our cap is at with most of our younger guns locked up.

I think the ones who wanted him delisted would also be happy to see him play senior footy and give us his best game.
I would love to, at some point see all of our list play senior footy and give us their best game.
This year might be that year, given the current climate.

I don’t get that impression when reading here sometimes.

I have noticed that when a player whose future was highly in doubt (some level of whipping-boyishness) turns it around and becomes a valued member of our team that compared to the number of posters who took regular pot shots at him the number of posters who acknowledge they were wrong about him and are pleased by his new form is a lot lower ... and that the ongoing tolerance for any mistakes he makes remains lower.

It's almost like mentally they never move him from spud to star (or even fringe to regular) in their brain and so his new output is always seen as an aberration from the reality rather than a new baseline norm ... and of course you never have to admin you were wr wr wr not right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back