Match Discussion 2022 Premier B Round 17 - Old Carey v Fitzroy @ Carey Sports Reserve

Remove this Banner Ad

Two rounds remain in the H&As for Fitzroy, who sit 4 points and percentage above the bar which separates finallists from also-rans. Both are road trips, with the last round at Banksia Reserve v 2nd-placed Beauey. But this coming week is versus last-placed Carey, and presents the Roys with a stong opportunity to lock in their first ever B Grade finals campaign.

2022-mens-rd17.jpg

The Roys will be looking to arrest a minor slide in the last couple of rounds where they got pipped by De La Salle and then Popped by Old Haileybury yesterday.

The match is scheduled for 2pm Saturday August 20, at Carey Sports Complex, Bulleen.

We should win this week which makes finals a certainty, the first time the seniors have made it.

In all the years ,bar one, they have been in B Grade they have been in the relegation zone with a few games to go but not this year,

Parkdale have dropped a grade and have not been replaced but their is another reason that the Roys are finals bound.

Carey have come out of A Grade and fell over. Usually the two sides that come out of A grade finish top three which crowds out the other B grade sides which leads me to state an obsession of mine that I have been sprouting for years.

A Grade should have 12 teams, rather then 10 and only one goes up and down unless there is agreement between the second bottom of A Grade and the losing grand finalist of B Grade.

Two reasons for this. A grade should be difficult to get into and it would make B Grade a competitive grade. Fitzroy would have made finals before this rather than purely making up the numbers year in and out. Parkdale have been in the same boat, AJAX same thing.

Usually the two sides that come out of A grade finish top three which crowds out the other B grade sides which leads me to state an obsession of mine that I have been sprouting for years.
I think you're right, although I have very little exposure to VAFA apart from what I've experienced via Fitzroy reds thru to Fitzroy. For sure there is a steep curve from bottom to top. But I think C Grade had always been even more severe in it's distribution than B Grade. Perhaps with a few less clubs around these days, that sudden chasm has moved up a grade.

Most urban and rural comps have some very large discrepancies between first and last, however it's less common to see them bunched neatly into two groups, one at each end.

Do you think expanding to 12 clubs in a division would resolve a distribution problem, or simply relocate it?

Very comfortable win in the end. Per VAFA website:
Old Carey 2.1 4.3 4.6 7.7.49
Fitzroy 2.3 9.6 14.8.92 18.11.119

De La Salle did get up tho. They remain 4 points behind us, but would need to defeate ladder leaders Uni Blacks next week, while expecting us to drop our match v Beaumaris, at the same time (if they were to replace us in the final four).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back