Training 2022 Men’s Preseason Thread - New training reports - 15/3

Training update 4/12
A few key points I’ve plucked from yesterdays reports on Blitz.

Francis training with the forwards and looking slimmer, likely trying to make him as quick and mobile as possible.

Tippa was more talkative and joking with the boys.

Lord went out of his way to go up and say hi to the onlookers, already loved within the group.

Kelly absolutely locked down Smith.

McGrath and Shiel look like they have a point to prove.

Merrett a lot more vocal on the track, also looks really happy and confident.

Stewart was winning all of his one on ones.

Always amazes me people go to training. I barely want to go to my own training let alone watch others.

I always loved training. Maybe 'cause I did more then than I did during games...... :eek:

Always amazes me people go to training. I barely want to go to my own training let alone watch others.
I certainly wouldn't make a special trip. It's interesting getting updates from those who do have the time in the middle of a weekday to get there though. I wonder if they are actually making a special trip or if they're locals that just happen to walk their dog in that general direction 🤔

I certainly wouldn't make a special trip. It's interesting getting updates from those who do have the time in the middle of a weekday to get there though. I wonder if they are actually making a special trip or if they're locals that just happen to walk their dog in that general direction 🤔
I'm fairly certain the 2 quoted above make special trips.

Edit: And just to clarify I'm not saying there's anything wrong with doing it, just not how I'd spend my time.

Last edited:
I hated footy training but cricket training was great.

Was the only way I could get some 'time in the middle' with the bat.

I was the opposite, it was the only way I could get some 'time in the middle' with the ball!!!!!

Dean just had one of those body types who couldn't slim down

Would have played his career over 100kg
And a bad knee that hampered his training loads .

Mar 10, 2007
SAPMA Headquarters
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Queensland Reds, Melbourne Rebels
It's looks like we have beaten GC in the race for Fejo Jr if we want him.

He trained with us yesterday.

Last I heard we had sent an invite but so had GC.

You should have read my Tweet from a few days ago.

Training update 6/12
Mar 17, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tassie Devils
4A36B3C1-6867-42FF-AAB9-00B350480C3E.jpeg

Peter Wright is CRUNCHING blokes

tperks

Debutant
Oct 12, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
It's looks like we have beaten GC in the race for Fejo Jr if we want him.

He trained with us yesterday.

Last I heard we had sent an invite but so had GC.

Is that who this story is referring to?
Can’t get around the paywall

Gold Coast has lost another key person with academy coach Andrew Raines walking away from the club last week.
The Suns farewelled football boss Jon Haines and midfield coach Josh Francou after the season while Richmond premiership player Jacob Townsend rejected the Suns’ offer to train with the club, preferring to sign with VFL club Southport Sharks.
It comes as Gold Coast academy player Austin Harris joins Essendon’s pre-season with a view to the Cairns product playing for the Bombers’ VFL team in 2022.

Harris was picked in the AFL Academy team showcasing the country’s best 17 and 18-year-olds this year for an exhibition game against Geelong’s VFL team.

Raines, a highly-regarded talent nurturer who has closely mentored emerging star Jack Bowes, wants to spend more time growing his business One On One Football, which is an online platform connecting accredited AFL coaches with players for private sessions.

Raines and partner Alyse also had a baby boy, Zander, in May.

Gold Coast has had a significant staff turnover in recent years, but Raines said there was no ill-feeling towards the club he has spent the past seven years at.

“I’ve got a business, One On One Football, that I created a couple of years ago,” Raines said.

“It was always bubbling in the background and has really taken off the last 12-18 months. Some exciting opportunities have popped up and I’ll be spending more time growing that business.”

Raines said the Suns chose not to list Harris because he wasn’t quite ready for the rigours of AFL.

“He’s going OK, but still needs a bit more development,” Raines said.

“A lot of the kids up here are a year or two behind in development and when you throw Covid in the mix and their lack of ability to play against other states, especially the southern states, he probably just needs a bit longer.

“I think that was the club’s call there, plus we only had so many spots.”

Suns recruited Broadbeach boy Bodhi Uwland and Northern Territory teenager Sandy Brock from their talent academy this year.

Raines backed big-bodied midfielder Alex Davies, another academy product, to rise up and replace Hugh Greenwood in the AFL engine room next season.

Raines, 35, played six games for the Suns in 2015 and was appointed head coach of the club’s talent academy the following year.

He suspected the Suns would have no problem finding a replacement.

“They’ve got Jarrod Cotton, who coached Norwood in the SANFL, he’s taken on my old role anyway in the Under-18s,” Raines said.

“My new role was sort of coaching director and high performance coach in the juniors.

“I don’t think they’ll take too long to fill that with some pretty good candidates in the interview process.”

Hardly all that ugly that they pass on a kid they think needs more development .

Hardly all that ugly that they pass on a kid they think needs more development .
Yeah but you can’t flog clickbait with that kind of measured and reasonable attitude

Training update 9/12
Direct quote from Blitz -

Ronald Fejo Jnr. This kid is not fit. He might be SANFL 2nds fit, but it’s obvious that he has a bit to do. But he can play. Off both feet, the kicking looks assured. Drilled a few goals. The mid-ball-drop-baulk and fake was silk. But what really caught the eye was a passage in the full ground “match play”. Someone emerged at speed from a contested ball. Ronald. An evade and handball to Zerrett. Zerrett scoots upfield with a bounce, looks inside for the handpass. Somehow, the receiver is Ronald. Who then plants an inside 50 pass onto someones chest. No idea who. It didn’t matter. This kid has some wheels, and got to where he had to be to be involved again.

Back