Training 2022 Men’s Preseason Thread - New training reports - 15/3

Training update 10/11
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Interesting that it's part time. I wonder if there are benefits to doing it like that (especially pre-christmas)

Seems like a response to the limited ability of players to have had a 'proper' off-season. So they get to have a longer build-up pre-Christmas.

As a sports performance measure, you'd think most players are also doing things when they're away from the club so I don't think it would compromise their performance too much. Might even help by spreading the (presumably) harder club-based sessions of a longer time period with more recovery.

Dons get early start on pre-season (essendonfc.com.au)

"We believe the proposed structure is the best outcome to allow players and staff the ability to enjoy the eased restrictions in Victoria with their allotted days off and ensure that we're able to get the appropriate training in pre-Christmas.

Among the others in attendance are Heppell and Jake Kelly according to the clubs Instagram stories. Not sure if McGrath and Ridley are still considered first-to-fifth year players or not, but they are also there.

Parish update 10/11
Parish sighting.

We sure Rance isn’t going to pull on the boots? :p

Among the others in attendance are Heppell and Jake Kelly according to the clubs Instagram stories. Not sure if McGrath and Ridley are still considered first-to-fifth year players or not, but they are also there.
I assume not.

Hind update 10/11
Rance was pretty adamant he's not going back to playing. He doesn't have the fitness base to run out a game nor is he inclined to do the work to maintain a fitness base at that level, has other things he wants to do with his life. His role at Essendon is part-time through the pre-season, it's not even a full-time gig.

Who is at training? 10/11
Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 15.35.14.png

I spy:
1st-5th: Caldwell, Hind, Durham, Cox, Perkins, Reid, Brand, Baldwin, Waterman, Hird, Jones – injured, Bryan, Ham, Guelfi, Zerk-Thatcher
6th+: Kelly, McGrath, Ridley, Clarke (delisted), Parish, Francis, Heppell

Absent:
1st-5th: Eyre, Snelling, McBride - Ireland?
6th+: Wright, Cutler, Phillips, Stringer, Smith, Stewart, Draper, Redman, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Langford, Laverde, Merrett, Hurley - injured

There are some 6th+ that I can hardly believe are in their 6th year of footy... We have like two players left that we acquired prior to 2013 on our list (Heppell and Hurley), all of the other senior players were traded in more recently.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
View attachment 1277674

I spy:
1st-5th: Caldwell, Hind, Durham, Cox, Perkins, Reid, Baldwin, Waterman, Hird, Bryan, Ham, Guelfi, Zerk-Thatcher
6th+: Kelly, McGrath, Ridley, Clarke (delisted), Parish, Francis, Heppell

Absent:
1st-5th: Eyre, Brand, Snelling, Jones – injured, McBride - Ireland?
6th+: Wright, Cutler, Phillips, Stringer, Smith, Stewart, Draper, Redman, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Langford, Laverde, Merrett, Hurley - injured

There are some 6th+ that I can hardly believe are in their 6th year of footy... We have like two players left that we acquired prior to 2013 on our list (Heppell and Hurley), all of the other senior players were traded in more recently.

Isn't that Brand up the back with the buzz cut behind Hind?

Isn't that Brand up the back with the buzz cut behind Hind?
I thought that was Baldwin – I looked through all the other photos and I can see Baldwin a few times but no Brand...

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I thought that was Baldwin – I looked through all the other photos and I can see Baldwin a few times but no Brand...

Just had a look, and he's in the first insta-story where they're rolling around on the ground I'm pretty sure, Jones also pops up doing handball drills.

Baldwin is in there as well, but think the guy at the back in that photo is Brand

Actually not Baldwin haha. Baldwin has a hat mostly but his hair is longer.

Different frame looks like Brand;
Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 16.15.59.png

Just had a look, and he's in the first insta-story where they're rolling around on the ground I'm pretty sure, Jones also pops up doing handball drills.

Baldwin is in there as well, but think the guy at the back in that photo is Brand
Haven't looked at instagram yet, maybe later. Makes sense Jones wouldn't be with the main group. Looks like Heppell, Kelly and Reid are doing some sort of rehab type stuff too, although they were photographed.

Back