2022 preseason training

61kczf.jpg

crocsta

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Oisin was a positive in a boring offseason. He looked like he had all the attributes to make it in the AFL.

Perhaps next year. He can practice kicking a footy in his spare time.

It’s a big call by the lad. I guess for the rest of his life he will always be able to tell his local mates that he gave up $millions to help them out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
Oisin was a positive in a boring offseason. He looked like he had all the attributes to make it in the AFL.

Perhaps next year. He can practice kicking a footy in his spare time.

It’s a big call by the lad. I guess for the rest of his life he will always be able to tell his local mates that he gave up $millions to help them out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
should give him a lifetime free tab at the pub if Mayo win with him.

Apr 14, 2008
Reg Hickey Stand
AFL Club
Geelong
Any news or footage of Stengle? Eddie Betts (as you'd expect) made a mention of him and the fact he was a standout at one of the recent sessions.

Reckon he's the player we've been screaming out for, for a while at Geelong.

SDK the other one who I really hope they put some time into - Henderson was cooked towards the end of last year and we obviously missed Stewart, but SDK is the one we really need to find his place in the backline. Seems he'll get first crack at it. Having Harold Taylor back for pre-season is worth 20 games of senior footy for the kid. Might teach him how to tuck some leg ham into his shorts as well.

Josh jenkins has been given a part time coaching role mentoring young key position players.
On this, Betts mentioned specifically he was coaching ruck. Wouldn't have thought it was his go to begin with but also thought we were working with Ottens.

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
On this, Betts mentioned specifically he was coaching ruck. Wouldn't have thought it was his go to begin with but also thought we were working with Ottens.
Since he's not naturally a ruck type, he may have useful techniques and knowledge gleened from working with less. Bit like having a head coach who was never close to being a star.

Since he's not naturally a ruck type, he may have useful techniques and knowledge gleened from working with less. Bit like having a head coach who was never close to being a star.
Yeah true. He's also a bloke of great character and has worked with the group a bit so we could definitely do worse

Sep 11, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
If anyone is familiar with the sawyers arms in Geelong, just saw joel and Harry Taylor at a table.

Joel looks fit! Might have more then 1 season left in him!
He can look as fit as he wants.
The fact is he’s cooked, hopefully he only plays 15 games this year because that’s his ceiling.

He can look as fit as he wants.
The fact is he’s cooked, hopefully he only plays 15 games this year because that’s his ceiling.
Guess, not fact. He was a pretty solid contributor for us in 21, and maybe 15 games will freshen him up for later in the season, if we are needed then.
I always wish our oldest players are limited to 15 Victorian games, and no interstate travel.
Never seems to come off.
Alastair Lynch did it and extended his (CFS) career.

BORIS332

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

A recent article from SEN said Jenkins is "working with the Cats's young talls", so Betts probably saw him with some young rucks and made an incorrect assumption.

I was fairly sure ottens stepped back from his role at the club to focus on business interests but i could be wrong on that.

longtimecat

All Australian
Aug 21, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Well the boys are back at GMHBA so my access to preseason training is over. To summarise what I observed, Stengel will add plenty, good get. Our 2nd and 3rd year players show plenty of upside. This years recruits are bigger than I remember previous recruits. Our list may be ageing but we have better depth than the media believes. Bring on 2022, Go Cats

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Well the boys are back at GMHBA so my access to preseason training is over. To summarise what I observed, Stengel will add plenty, good get. Our 2nd and 3rd year players show plenty of upside. This years recruits are bigger than I remember previous recruits. Our list may be ageing but we have better depth than the media believes. Bring on 2022, Go Cats

Thanks for the reports

Hard to gauge knowledge but was JJ ever technically a good to great ruck. Athletic yes. Anyway maybe he is a good fit, any help is better than none.

His ruckwork at centre bounces wasnt great but he was very good around the ground, one of the early exponents of that hybrid fwd/2nd ruck role. Also seems like a very hard worker and tgood trainer from all reports. I mean I'd love Dean Cox as a ruck coach but good ruck coaches arent easy to get.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
He was considered the best forward/ruck (or 2nd ruck) in the game for a long time.

Have to admit, never heard of Jenkins being rated as the best forward/ruck in the game for a long time. Maybe for a couple of seasons he was producing elite footy. Overall though, he was never even considered an elite forward and always second fiddle to the likes of Betts and Tex Walker.
He and Lynch were still a handy duo in their own right.

Have to admit, never heard of Jenkins being rated as the best forward/ruck in the game for a long time. Maybe for a couple of seasons he was producing elite footy. Overall though, he was never even considered an elite forward and always second fiddle to the likes of Betts and Tex Walker.
He and Lynch were still a handy duo in their own right.
He also a guy who has seen hard times and been made to work for things.

Maybe it's better to have role models who have been where you feel you are and made a career despite disadvantages rather than someone who was always going to make it with a relatively small amount of application.

Back