2022 preseason training

Shooooltzey

Debutant
Oct 22, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
I still don't subscribe to the fact that Stephens is injury prone. He's just been unlucky. It's kind of like Heeney. Heeney has had a tonne of injuries but they have all just been unlucky and unavoidable injuries to an extent. Cooper has only had 2 injuries in his career. Unluckily for him both have had long rehab times. The fact Stephens has had 4 full preseasons and hopefully a 5th in the last 4 years bodes well for his future. Start of 2019 at the falcons, this technically isn't a preseason but the work he did after he recovered from the leg break and before the draft combine would have been a very similar nature to a pre season and then 2020 and 2021 geelong pre seasons.

I remember in a pre season interview with Knights early this year he was talking about all the young mids and kinda said yeah they have all been trying to improve together. But then he said that Stephens had been working more with Guthrie and Selwood compared to the other young mids. The only way I can interperet this is that his game was far more advanced compared to the other young mids.

I definitely believe he is in contention for round 1. After seeing guys like Daicos and Ward just start killing the Nab league after no footy for a year I don't really think it is a requirement for him to spend a year in the vfl to 'learn' the game again.

I've heard he trains and works as hard as Harry Taylor to improve his game which I believe is the most important thing to ensure you forge a successful career. I honestly can't wait to see him debut and I have high hopes.

I would be much more concerned about the futures of Jezza, Merrick and Duncan if I was one of the club medicos. All had multiple soft tissue injuries this year.

Kobe Gryant

extremely overqualified chemistry teacher
Jul 31, 2021
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Lakers
Cooper should be ready if he can get a good pre-season under his belt. Looks pretty damn lean in that pic earlier as mentioned, and he sits around the 88kg mark so that would suggest it's pretty much all lean muscle tissue.

If he really is as good as some of you think he is then suddenly our youth doesn't look so bad after all. Genuinely believe he's the difference between things being pretty dire for the future or actually looking alright.

That being said, a lot of us said the same about Cockatoo for years.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Cooper should be ready if he can get a good pre-season under his belt. Looks pretty damn lean in that pic earlier as mentioned, and he sits around the 88kg mark so that would suggest it's pretty much all lean muscle tissue.

If he really is as good as some of you think he is then suddenly our youth doesn't look so bad after all. Genuinely believe he's the difference between things being pretty dire for the future or actually looking alright.

That being said, a lot of us said the same about Cockatoo for years.

I'm not sure where this talk about Cooper looking worrying lean is coming from. May not be bulging with muscle mass but he was drafted specifically because of his hardness in the contests.
Selwood had a similar build but Cooper is a lot taller. Already self disciplined when it comes to diet and fitness regime. That is usually the hardest facet to get right for a young athlete.

Be nice to see Stephens, Holmes, Parfitt, Henry and O'Connor trialed in midfield together during preseason if they are all fit and ready to go.

Oct 31, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
LEEDS
Nothing would please me more at Geelong to see both Maxy Holmes and Cooper Stephens performing well, atm it's all Holmsie but I hope 2022 Cooper can also stake a claim.
I think there is a big chance that 2-3 play each week. Like Sydney this year, could completely rejuvenate the team.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
I'm not sure where this talk about Cooper looking worrying lean is coming from. May not be bulging with muscle mass but he was drafted specifically because of his hardness in the contests.
Selwood had a similar build but Cooper is a lot taller. Already self disciplined when it comes to diet and fitness regime. That is usually the hardest facet to get right for a young athlete.

Be nice to see Stephens, Holmes, Parfitt, Henry and O'Connor trialed in midfield together during preseason if they are all fit and ready to go.
No way we can afford to pull Henry from the back line for the up coming season we have weakness down there he will be critical for our season along with Stewart back there.

The 4 mids we took in the national draft are already developed so much. Cooper Whyte a lot bigger than I thought and Knevitt is massive across the chest

Whyte and willis have very good rigs for 18yos it will really help them in the fitness stuff in pre season. Conway is clearly a big unit too which will help ruck against men in the vfl.

And they may have started their day in casual clothes, but didn't take long for the newbies to be given training gear

Dempsey is much more physically developed than i expected he would be basically coming out of ammos footy.

Look at the biceps on willis you dont see that in a draftee every day.

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
The 4 mids we took in the national draft are already developed so much. Cooper Whyte a lot bigger than I thought and Knevitt is massive across the chest

Yeah agree, was real happy Wells drafted strong bodies rather than we hope they will fill out in time types. Cutting that development process by a year or two is a smart approach, and the top tier draftees are usually pretty close anyway.
Glad to hear Whytie is a bit bigger than he looked on video, maybe he just grew or filled a bit of late. I like the group.

Back