2022 preseason training

It is a reasonably big problem - it's being reported that there maybe as many as 200 players across the AFL who have covid. Meaning that it is highly unlikely that it is just Hawkins affected at Geelong. All will have to isolate for at least 7 days and in many cases longer. This will probably continue to play havoc through pre-season and possibly into the season proper.

It is unlikely that any player will be severely impacted, but covid does have a habit of sapping your energy, so yeah we will be impacted, but then so will every other team. I guess it is a matter of who best handles this.
I saw it somewhere 2nd hand (twitter?) that Danger has suggested AFL should do similar to the NBA and allow 10 day contracts if a club has a major covid outbreak.

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
I saw it somewhere 2nd hand (twitter?) that Danger has suggested AFL should do similar to the NBA and allow 10 day contracts if a club has a major covid outbreak.
It's going to be a lasting and recurring problem.
Last week in our local cricket several sides were affected; and 3 first XIs played with, respectively, 4, 5 and 6 regulars missing.

longtimecat

All Australian
Aug 21, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
It's going to be a lasting and recurring problem.
Last week in our local cricket several sides were affected; and 3 first XIs played with, respectively, 4, 5 and 6 regulars missing.

Greatly reduced numbers at training this morning, 24 in main group, 4 first year players and 2 rehab ( rowan and Ceglar)
I can only presume Covid effected.
Mainly running drills today, things i noticed: Esava appears a bit lighter as does Narkle. Stevens and Stephens look ready to push for senior selection , S Neale also impressed.
Knevitt is impressive and has a bigger body than most first year boys, so he may push for debut as the season progresses.

Greatly reduced numbers at training this morning, 24 in main group, 4 first year players and 2 rehab ( rowan and Ceglar)
Mainly running drills today, things i noticed: Esava appears a bit lighter as does Narkle. Stevens and Stephens look ready to push for senior selection , S Neale also impressed.
Knevitt is impressive and has a bigger body than most first year boys, so he may push for debut as the season progresses.
Devils advocate - as it's preseason, if you're going to have a player go down with it wouldn't you want it to run through through everyone now so they get the best immunity response during the year? Not wanting to sound like a doctor at a concentration camp here or anything.

Breaking my Cats board sabbatical because i am trying to avoid work at the moment..

I also wonder if they potentially will split training into smaller groups, if they are doing running drills there might be staggered groups so if someone does come in positive or spread it, it decreases the chance of it wiping out the entire side?

longtimecat

All Australian
Aug 21, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Breaking my Cats board sabbatical because i am trying to avoid work at the moment..

I also wonder if they potentially will split training into smaller groups, if they are doing running drills there might be staggered groups so if someone does come in positive or spread it, it decreases the chance of it wiping out the entire side?
Main group was in two groups

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong

Willo_ !
Hello there!

cat_shack

Senior List
Oct 18, 2002
Townsville
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Manly
Slightly off topic, but relevant to pre-season media. Read an article from two weeks ago where Hock was talking about the proposed training facility etc. What was interesting was he specifically mentioned fan engagement and behind the scenes access as a focus area for the club to improve. For so many years our media department has been horrendous at wheeling out the same trash bland interviews either mid-week or post game. The Touhy interview yesterday is hopefully a glimpse of what’s to come. The questions were quite pointed and direct and required him to essentially respond to the outside noise around list profile and our finals record. Would love to see something similar to NFL hard knocks.Most clubs in the NFL now make their own hard knocks style shows for the regular season that provide amazing behind the scenes access. These programs directly engage with fans and hype the team and brand. If you control content, then you control the narrative, hopefully our club will pioneer the inevitable push in that direction.

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Slightly off topic, but relevant to pre-season media. Read an article from two weeks ago where Hock was talking about the proposed training facility etc. What was interesting was he specifically mentioned fan engagement and behind the scenes access as a focus area for the club to improve. For so many years our media department has been horrendous at wheeling out the same trash bland interviews either mid-week or post game. The Touhy interview yesterday is hopefully a glimpse of what’s to come. The questions were quite pointed and direct and required him to essentially respond to the outside noise around list profile and our finals record. Would love to see something similar to NFL hard knocks.Most clubs in the NFL now make their own hard knocks style shows for the regular season that provide amazing behind the scenes access. These programs directly engage with fans and hype the team and brand. If you control content, then you control the narrative, hopefully our club will pioneer the inevitable push in that direction.

It seems like a PR campaign in damage control. They are feeling the heat for sure.

Yeah but who was training the house down, never been in better nick, has had his first full preseason in a decade, is going to be a surprise packet and has turned plenty of heads?

Yeah but who was training the house down, never been in better nick, has had his first full preseason in a decade, is going to be a surprise packet and has turned plenty of heads?
all of them

longtimecat

All Australian
Aug 21, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Sorry Catempire not my style, having coached sport for many years, I just go to training to watch player development and pick up tips

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Jack Henry fractured foot, off the track for six weeks 😢

standupand

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2019
Meanjin
AFL Club
Geelong
Nice to hear Narkle and Esava are looking in good shape. Two players I really hope find something extra this year. Both could really improve their game if they increase their running capacity.

He was in a moon boot before Christmas, so should be right for start of season

Not necessarily

Prior to Christmas they knew his foot wasn't right, but it's subsequent to that & with further scans the they've found a fracture

Sounds like it was a hotspot or thought to be a hotspot, and it's either developed further or swelling has gone down & they've seen more on the recent scans

Back