2022 preseason training

Remove this Banner Ad

"Write the Cats off at your own peril." - Mitch Duncan, 2022.
Love articles that lead with things never said

One of the things Duncan did say in the interview though: “It feels like a new club, a lot of draftees, it feels really different at the minute and it’s exciting.”

Love articles that lead with things never said

One of the things Duncan did say in the interview though: “It feels like a new club, a lot of draftees, it feels really different at the minute and it’s exciting.”
Also love how the headline is written for everyone other than cats fans. Sure we may write them off, but where's the peril in them proving us wrong?

Greatly reduced numbers at training this morning, 24 in main group, 4 first year players and 2 rehab ( rowan and Ceglar)
I can only presume Covid effected.
Mainly running drills today, things i noticed: Esava appears a bit lighter as does Narkle. Stevens and Stephens look ready to push for senior selection , S Neale also impressed.
Knevitt is impressive and has a bigger body than most first year boys, so he may push for debut as the season progresses.

Wandered over for a look also. Report above on the money again. Thanks.
First thing I noticed was Narkle looking very trim. He still doesn't enjoy the running exercises but he must be making a real effort to improve.
Knevitt has a short back and sides so dont look for flowing locks any longer. Moved nicely.
in the squad nearest me Stevens getting lots of pumps from coach for his efforts particularly his kicking. Fair chance for game 1 I reckon.
The most interesting thing in a boring set of drills was Harry Taylor on the park. in particular an individual session with Rowan around leading patterns. I have often with family wondered why, with such pace and booming kick he is not streaming into holes on leads. Maybe we will see more this season?
Harry passing on what he knows about on field tactics to young and developing forwards is a big plus.

Wandered over for a look also. Report above on the money again. Thanks.
First thing I noticed was Narkle looking very trim. He still doesn't enjoy the running exercises but he must be making a real effort to improve.
Knevitt has a short back and sides so dont look for flowing locks any longer. Moved nicely.
in the squad nearest me Stevens getting lots of pumps from coach for his efforts particularly his kicking. Fair chance for game 1 I reckon.
The most interesting thing in a boring set of drills was Harry Taylor on the park. in particular an individual session with Rowan around leading patterns. I have often with family wondered why, with such pace and booming kick he is not streaming into holes on leads. Maybe we will see more this season?
Harry passing on what he knows about on field tactics to young and developing forwards is a big plus.

Was it Stevens or Stephens?

Slightly off topic, but relevant to pre-season media. Read an article from two weeks ago where Hock was talking about the proposed training facility etc. What was interesting was he specifically mentioned fan engagement and behind the scenes access as a focus area for the club to improve. For so many years our media department has been horrendous at wheeling out the same trash bland interviews either mid-week or post game. The Touhy interview yesterday is hopefully a glimpse of what’s to come. The questions were quite pointed and direct and required him to essentially respond to the outside noise around list profile and our finals record. Would love to see something similar to NFL hard knocks.Most clubs in the NFL now make their own hard knocks style shows for the regular season that provide amazing behind the scenes access. These programs directly engage with fans and hype the team and brand. If you control content, then you control the narrative, hopefully our club will pioneer the inevitable push in that direction.
As an long suffering NY Jets fan, I have seen an evolution through this arc of ''control the message''. When your fan base is unhappy, then controlling the message (like Collingwood tried to do with their last few years and look how that went), only disenfranchises them more. The Jets have transitioned to a full behind the scenes coverage with any 'hot' issues often directly put to the coach/player at the time of the issue getting a run. They have evolved massively in this area (their App is a standout), mainly because they would not have a fan base left, given their total ineptitude in managing the admin and football depts. They won best fan interaction/social media for the NFL last year, and its no surprise. But it all rests on bare facts, good bad or ugly (and there is plenty of ugly at the Jets). This current GM/Coach combination is about the 6th one we have followed in the last 12 or so years. It's hard to get excited as a Jets fan !
My view is AFL is at least a generation behind in its approach to information and fan involvement, and culturally from the Board down will talk about being transparent with fans, etc, but it will be years before any of them actually mean it and actually act on it. To be fair, COVID has swamped all their resources in the short term. However, I can't think of one AFL club that you feel is upfront and honest with its fans consistently, particularly in managing incidents, etc. The AFL is clearly the dead hand of poor culture with regards to this as well. Look at how they handled the Adam Goodes issue for example.

Slightly off topic, but relevant to pre-season media. Read an article from two weeks ago where Hock was talking about the proposed training facility etc. What was interesting was he specifically mentioned fan engagement and behind the scenes access as a focus area for the club to improve. For so many years our media department has been horrendous at wheeling out the same trash bland interviews either mid-week or post game. The Touhy interview yesterday is hopefully a glimpse of what’s to come. The questions were quite pointed and direct and required him to essentially respond to the outside noise around list profile and our finals record. Would love to see something similar to NFL hard knocks.Most clubs in the NFL now make their own hard knocks style shows for the regular season that provide amazing behind the scenes access. These programs directly engage with fans and hype the team and brand. If you control content, then you control the narrative, hopefully our club will pioneer the inevitable push in that direction.
Love this comment so freaking much!

(Long comment warning. I work in communications so I love this sort of thing.)

I've had issues with our club's supporter engagement for years. Our social media team is wonderful, but they can only work with the amount of access the club gives them, which is little to no access at all. It's staggering, considering we have some great personalities in the likes of 2E and considering our senior coach could do with being a little more engaging.

Other clubs prioritise supporter engagement but we clearly do not. Collingwood did their documentary during the 2018 season, which greatly helped rehabilitate Nathan Buckley's image (before he swiftly and spectacularly tanked his personal brand again and is now eating bugs on reality tv to try rehabilitate it lmao.) The Tigers, Eagles, Suns, and GWS took part in that brilliant Amazon doco, which was a real treat for footy fans but specifically really great for supporters of those teams. Clubs like the Doggies have done a series of behind the scenes YouTube videos during the season, which I know the Dons and the Pies have also done. The Lions have Mitch Robinson, who is a gun at social media, but this pre-season the Lions have been killing it on Instagram too. Sweet photos of their players getting married, living their lives, goofing off in Chrissy hats etc. In comparison the Cats Instagram is somewhat impersonal. Just clinical training photos. No personality.

In my opinion, we are by far the worst club when it comes to supporter engagement. Maybe the club is complacent because Geelong is geographically unique and not fighting to keep supporters. Or maybe it is because the likes of Chris Scott, who is private to the point of being defensive and who has spoken about not feeling comfortable giving behind the scenes access, actively diminishes fan engagement because he believes what goes on at the club should be private.

I hope that changes this season. I'm guessing the two coaches the media will target this year are going to be Dew and Scotty, and a lot of fans will be frothing when Scotty's contract extension is announced, so it would be smart of the club to use their voice if they have any interest in negating negative attention. It would be smart of the club to do a behind the scenes YouTube series like the hard knock style shows you mention. That way the editing is done in house and the club can control the message while engaging supporters for the first time in a long time.

With Pops and Shagga back at the Cattery maybe we can dust off Down at Kardinia Park too!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will get a look at him in the pre-season game, Will be interesting were they play him

I'm hoping they have him earmarked for an attacking HBF - great size , bit of flair , solid skills and seems to be capable of defending and attacking when the time is right.
Can't wait to see Stevens, Stephens, SDK and Neale this season...............

I'm hoping they have him earmarked for an attacking HBF - great size , bit of flair , solid skills and seems to be capable of defending and attacking when the time is right.
Can't wait to see Stevens, Stephens, SDK and Neale this season...............
I would like to see Stevens play on the wing and a run on the ball for a couple of years first, and me too on the rest

Love this comment so freaking much!

(Long comment warning. I work in communications so I love this sort of thing.)

I've had issues with our club's supporter engagement for years. Our social media team is wonderful, but they can only work with the amount of access the club gives them, which is little to no access at all. It's staggering, considering we have some great personalities in the likes of 2E and considering our senior coach could do with being a little more engaging.

Other clubs prioritise supporter engagement but we clearly do not. Collingwood did their documentary during the 2018 season, which greatly helped rehabilitate Nathan Buckley's image (before he swiftly and spectacularly tanked his personal brand again and is now eating bugs on reality tv to try rehabilitate it lmao.) The Tigers, Eagles, Suns, and GWS took part in that brilliant Amazon doco, which was a real treat for footy fans but specifically really great for supporters of those teams. Clubs like the Doggies have done a series of behind the scenes YouTube videos during the season, which I know the Dons and the Pies have also done. The Lions have Mitch Robinson, who is a gun at social media, but this pre-season the Lions have been killing it on Instagram too. Sweet photos of their players getting married, living their lives, goofing off in Chrissy hats etc. In comparison the Cats Instagram is somewhat impersonal. Just clinical training photos. No personality.

In my opinion, we are by far the worst club when it comes to supporter engagement. Maybe the club is complacent because Geelong is geographically unique and not fighting to keep supporters. Or maybe it is because the likes of Chris Scott, who is private to the point of being defensive and who has spoken about not feeling comfortable giving behind the scenes access, actively diminishes fan engagement because he believes what goes on at the club should be private.

I hope that changes this season. I'm guessing the two coaches the media will target this year are going to be Dew and Scotty, and a lot of fans will be frothing when Scotty's contract extension is announced, so it would be smart of the club to use their voice if they have any interest in negating negative attention. It would be smart of the club to do a behind the scenes YouTube series like the hard knock style shows you mention. That way the editing is done in house and the club can control the message while engaging supporters for the first time in a long time.

With Pops and Shagga back at the Cattery maybe we can dust off Down at Kardinia Park too!

They have tried to downplay for a number of years the supporters getting restless about the continual finals failures, but last year would have been the straw that broke the camels back for a lot of them. They copped a lot of flak. To me the messaging they are putting out now is just damage control.

I can see that happening. But still, is he next in line for when jezza or Tom get injured?

Perhaps - but if we continue with the Sav 3rd tall role then Neale could fill that admirably I would think.
Really hope he gets a shot this season , got all the attributes just needs a chance to put it into effect.

My favourite thing about the Stephens/Stevens confusion is that it is almost like the club deliberately decided to troll us by giving them numbers 12 and 21

Same - I was wondering if we had left a spot open on the list and were considering giving him a second chance

Haha i love murder but hes back playing sanfl. Uncanny resemblance atkins.
Conway is a big unit.

Greatly reduced numbers at training this morning, 24 in main group, 4 first year players and 2 rehab ( rowan and Ceglar)
I can only presume Covid effected.
Mainly running drills today, things i noticed: Esava appears a bit lighter as does Narkle. Stevens and Stephens look ready to push for senior selection , S Neale also impressed.
Knevitt is impressive and has a bigger body than most first year boys, so he may push for debut as the season progresses.

I like that..i think knevitt could well play as a mid.
Neale as a 2nd year key fwd/ruck is probably further back than sav i doubt neale plays early on unless its covid enforced.
Cooper stephens is the one our midfield really needs to come through.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back