2022 preseason training

Remove this Banner Ad

Then I'll own my fancifulness and naivete. Look, an example from a different sport - but everyone wrote Roger Federer off when he hadn't won a major between the ages of about 30 to 35. You'd forgive anyone just saying - look, he's been a champion, but reality is he's just past it and there's no chance he's going to come close to his best again. Then took some time to refresh his mind and body and came back and won 3 more at the age of 36-37. Just never write off a champion.
On the other hand though, no player can go into a season prepared to play only like 3/4 of the games, acknowledging their body won't hold up. I know almost everyone misses games which they often call being "managed" but which actually means they have an injury that doesn't require immediate surgery or whatever. But you have to be in some kind of physical shape to back up from one game to the next. Call me naive, but I just don't think we should have players in the team that can't play 22 games barring significant injury (whether at AFL or VFL level). And any player who misses games, needs to earn their spot back either at training or vfl - not walk back in once we've given one our lower-tier "seat-warmers" a go at the big time. We say "but they're not really banging down the door". The fact is the door is a revolving one, and it doesn't seem to matter how well a player is going at the lower level - just whether or not one of our aging stars needs a rest.

Exactly. I get the impression an awful lot of posters on here just can't fathom young players being given games ahead of established stars - but at the same time - have absolutely zero issue with potatoes like Higgins and Dahlhaus leapfrogging more deserving youngsters to perform some mythical "role". Or even better, the prime lump of overrated dogshit we had called Jack Steven. Had clear and obvious issues even before we got him, turned up unfit, overweight, and was still shoved right into the senior team way before remotely deserving it. So don't pump out the "they're not banging down the door" line, it's complete and total garbage. All footy clubs have favourites and unfortunately we're no different.

Good points.
But in the case of Federer, who really is a hero of mine, he certainly managed himself in those years, and virtually just played the Slams, or tournaments that would benefit his chances. Why not have a player of Selwood's class and experience, in his twilight, be managed appropriately. Interstate travel is very taxing, and a great chance to blood youngsters.

Problem is though tennis isn't footy. Federer doesn't get tackled or bumped.

If Selwood can't make it out there every week - and at the right level - then he shouldn't get special treatment. Neither should anyone else. The amazing thing is the club did NOT even think of doing stuff like this from 2007-2011, when we theoretically were good enough to justify it, but now we're not it's openly encouraged. Tom Harley returned to the senior team in 2007 via the VFL. As Captain. Joel Corey did it a few years later. Both of them are better clubmen than just about anyone on our list now. And that mindset and example seemed to work.

Yeah. Still seems a bit of an odd thing to say. Also - who puts Taylor and Henderson in the same boat? One of them is an all-time champion of the club. The other a recruit who gave us a few good years of service.
He still gave us a few good years of service and if peak form Hendo was available this year I'd be jumping for joy

I dont question Joels ability to perform to a sustainable level, I just think youd be better off getting games into a kid in that role, its not going to do our future any good having Stephens and Holmes play forward/wing while a 34 year old plays the position they need exposure in.
But there's the problem bolded, Stephens is a 21 year old that hasn't cracked it for a game and Holmes has 9 under his belt but is seriously undernourished.

I'm very bullish on SDK as well but saying we won't remember Taylor and Henderson seems an unnecessary comment , and very un Geelong to me. :think:

All very well to pump up SDek. I'm very bullish on him as well. But you just say something about the future being in good hands rather than openly insulting past players. One of whom has won two more flags and two more AA's than JJ did.

I get that it was probably a flippant comment. Doesn't mean it wasn't injudicious and just plain dumb, though.

All very well to pump up SDek. I'm very bullish on him as well. But you just say something about the future being in good hands rather than openly insulting past players. One of whom has won two more flags and two more AA's than JJ did.

I get that it was probably a flippant comment. Doesn't mean it wasn't injudicious and just plain dumb, though.

Well said :thumbsu:
Don't want another Bizzel/Snr type comparison that went off the rails.............................

Well said :thumbsu:
Don't want another Bizzel/Snr type comparison that went off the rails.............................

It's an insane bar, isn't it? The idea that Sam will make us all forget a bloke who played in two flags, is tenth on our all-time 'games played' list, and was twice considered the best in his position across the entire comp.

No pressure, then. :rolleyes:

It's an insane bar, isn't it? The idea that Sam will make us all forget a bloke who played in two flags, is tenth on our all-time 'games played' list, and was twice considered the best in his position across the entire comp.

No pressure, then. :rolleyes:
It's meaningless hyperbole. Nothing to get worked up over

It's meaningless hyperbole. Nothing to get worked up over
Fair enough. I don't disagree about it being hyperbole, of course.

Just ends up being petty hyperbole when you make the mistake of diminishing others to elevate the object of your affection.

Careless is the kindest way I can describe it, I suppose. Perhaps his behaviour here fits with the type of 'ham' Harry was referencing when he handed the offending item to JJ back in the day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any chance Jenkins made those comments during training where Harry was within earshot - so just a bit of banter & fun between the guys rather than necessarily being disrespectful or a cheap shot

Fair enough. I don't disagree about it being hyperbole, of course.

Just ends up being petty hyperbole when you make the mistake of diminishing others to elevate the object of your affection.

Careless is the kindest way I can describe it, I suppose. Perhaps his behaviour here fits with the type of 'ham' Harry was referencing when he handed the offending item to JJ back in the day.
Mate, let it go. He's just saying quality backline players won't be the reason we lose games and we won't be getting going on in the good old days for defenders.

That's a pretty strong sign we're going to see a lot more of him as a key defender this season.

I mean given we didnt trade in a kpd or take a mature one in the draft it indicates we have a lot of faith in sdk.

Mate, let it go. He's just saying quality backline players won't be the reason we lose games and we won't be getting going on in the good old days for defenders.

So just say that, then. Why drag other (feted) player's names into the mix in what can look like a cheap shot?

Anyway, happy to let it go any time you like. I've read your justification for his comments re Taylor and Hendo several times now and still don't buy it.

So I don't see the need to share any further clarifications here of what you believe he meant.

Why mention Hendo if that was the case?

Maybe they're all mates, they did spend time together on the list and are our most recent tall defender pairing

I would feel it's more like a cheap shot if he said in 40 games that we won't remember who Scarlett or Lonergan are

Maybe they're all mates, they did spend time together on the list and are our most recent tall defender pairing

I would feel it's more like a cheap shot if he said in 40 games that we won't remember who Scarlett or Lonergan are

Maybe more of a cheap shot, for sure. But I still see this as a cheap shot, nevertheless.

And it's not like it does Sam any good, anyway. I'm fairly certain he's not sleeping that much better at night knowing that a former ruck/forward and current part-time coach has publicly declared that he's likely to ace it as an AFL defender.

Pump up his tyres in private? Absolutely.

Make plainly nonsensical public statements like this one that simply invite ridicule and undue attention? No, thanks.

If Selwood can't make it out there every week - and at the right level - then he shouldn't get special treatment. Neither should anyone else. The amazing thing is the club did NOT even think of doing stuff like this from 2007-2011, when we theoretically were good enough to justify it, but now we're not it's openly encouraged. Tom Harley returned to the senior team in 2007 via the VFL. As Captain. Joel Corey did it a few years later. Both of them are better clubmen than just about anyone on our list now. And that mindset and example seemed to work.

We did rest players throughout 2011. No player played every game, we managed our team perfectly to peak for Finals. Kelly, Taylor and Bartel the only players to play 24. The irony of Chris Scott that season using the H&A season to perfectly prepare his side for Finals shouldn't be lost on anyone.

I think we've lost trust in the guys underneath to try this strategy again. Selwood played too many games last season. His H&A games against Melbourne, The Western Bulldogs and Brisbane showed he can still compete with the best midfields, but he was nowhere near it in any Final. He needs to be managed, but he certainly still has a role to play.

I'm very bullish on SDK as well but saying we won't remember Taylor and Henderson seems an unnecessary comment , and very un Geelong to me. :think:
I recall a player after a game saying that Bizzell was going to be the next GASnr, and maybe even better; and, you are correct, JJ is hardly Geelong material- there must still be some Crows in him

Disagree- Selwood should get special treatment- he is a very special leader and player. Fwiw, all mature players are basically on individual programmes I would suggest. And in 2011, we expertly managed our list. People had been pleading that we did that again in latter years.

Goodness me, who gives a single * what Jenkins said on a radio bit where he was also hyping up a young kid. It isnt disrespectful, get a grip.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back