2022 preseason training

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely its Simpson and Narkle plus Parfitt (fully fit) who provide the relief for the old warriors. If they stumble we are destined to repeat last few years' fade outs. Or get some better draft picks.
Kids and oldies only , wont cut it.

Disagree- Selwood should get special treatment- he is a very special leader and player. Fwiw, all mature players are basically on individual programmes I would suggest. And in 2011, we expertly managed our list. People had been pleading that we did that again in latter years.

Ne he shouldn't. He's not good enough now to remotely justify it.

People need to look at 2011 and see how many games the stars played. There wasn't nearly as much management as legend now suggests.

Surely its Simpson and Narkle plus Parfitt (fully fit) who provide the relief for the old warriors. If they stumble we are destined to repeat last few years' fade outs. Or get some better draft picks.
The rates at which players are going to getting knocked out by isolation rules the club might not get a choice a lot of the time

Ne he shouldn't. He's not good enough now to remotely justify it.

People need to look at 2011 and see how many games the stars played. There wasn't nearly as much management as legend now suggests.
Long time ago. Different team and different era again.
Selwood is not playing as if he needs to be a VFL player, unlike 09 Harley. It was only last season that he was still in our best in many games.
He has enough integrity to realise and accept when time is up, and it may come this year, but I would not let abject disappointment of finals where ALL players failed, colour your judgement of a rare player and captain.
You want to compare him with the bulls at Melbourne- well even Danger looks like a pedestrian compared to them. We simply do not have their level of talent and firepower- they are us 07-08

Goodness me, who gives a single fu** what Jenkins said on a radio bit where he was also hyping up a young kid. It isnt disrespectful, get a grip
He has a bit of a history with Harry, and who knows, it may have been a gentle ribbing intentionally.

Last edited by a moderator:
The rates at which players are going to getting knocked out by isolation rules the club might not get a choice a lot of the time
The A-League competition is certainly a shambles at present. Whole teams have had to pull out and in some teams there are players returning at different times while others are out. Nearly impossible to get continuity.

We did rest players throughout 2011. No player played every game, we managed our team perfectly to peak for Finals. Kelly, Taylor and Bartel the only players to play 24. The irony of Chris Scott that season using the H&A season to perfectly prepare his side for Finals shouldn't be lost on anyone.

There were two major differences though for that season:

1. The team won their first 13 games to start the season. They were assured finals and top 4 a long way from September. That made a massive difference.
2. The age of the list, and particularly the midfield compared to now. Here are the nine "midfielders" that took the field Grand final day - Bartel, Corey, Chapman, Kelly, Ling, Selwood, Duncan, Varcoe, and Christensen. Only ONE player aged 30 - which was Cameron Ling who was 30. Right now we've got five - Dangerfield, Selwood, Smith, Duncan, and Higgins. Guthrie and Menegola also turn 30 this year. Even then that side was the oldest premiership team in 70-odd years. We're older again now, and not as good.

I think we've lost trust in the guys underneath to try this strategy again. Selwood played too many games last season. His H&A games against Melbourne, The Western Bulldogs and Brisbane showed he can still compete with the best midfields, but he was nowhere near it in any Final. He needs to be managed, but he certainly still has a role to play.

I don't trust them at all anymore. Not under the current regime anyway.

But disappointed that me calling people w***ers was edited out, that was the PG version of what I was thinking
Get used to it. Calling fellow posters "w***ers" because they hold a different point of view is uneccessary and uncalled for.

There were two major differences though for that season:

1. The team won their first 13 games to start the season. They were assured finals and top 4 a long way from September. That made a massive difference.
2. The age of the list, and particularly the midfield compared to now. Here are the nine "midfielders" that took the field Grand final day - Bartel, Corey, Chapman, Kelly, Ling, Selwood, Duncan, Varcoe, and Christensen. Only ONE player aged 30 - which was Cameron Ling who was 30. Right now we've got five - Dangerfield, Selwood, Smith, Duncan, and Higgins. Guthrie and Menegola also turn 30 this year. Even then that side was the oldest premiership team in 70-odd years. We're older again now, and not as good.

I don't trust them at all anymore. Not under the current regime anyway.

We had the opportunity to manage our players at the back end of 2019 also and didn’t take it. 3 games clear on top at half way.

Obviously we can’t exactly replicate 2011 for list demographic or talent, but there’s some strategies we can take from that season to ensure we give ourselves the best chance. Player management is my number 1.

I don’t trust any of them either, but I don’t need to. They need to figure out how to improve as a collective, from the outside i’d say trust is a huge factor.

But disappointed that me calling people w***ers was edited out, that was the PG version of what I was thinking
Maybe a bit of rhyming slang needed? A bunch of half forward flankers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m fine with not remembering Henderson, can’t forget Harry. Wouldn’t have won 09 without him so put some respect to his name.

5 players I’m looking forward to see play in 2022.

Cooper Stephens - I read early in the pre season that cooper impressed Joel with how he trained. I can only imagine a hard young inside midfielder is exactly what we need in the coming years. Cooper will 100% make his debut due to close contacts which could force Joel, danger or menegola out for 1/2 games. But I’d rather him earn his way into to side and replace Higgins.

Sam De Koning - “you won’t remember who Henderson and Taylor were” with this guy, although I think it’s an outlandish call the kid has some potential for sure. Did sneak into the side last year but I believe he played more a forward/ ruck role? He’s in the race to take Lachie Henderson’s role for sure.

Toby Conway - I may be biased as he’s come from the same local club I played at, but I think geelong have for once chosen the right player. Ceglar and Stanley only have 1/2 years left in them and we can’t depend on Esava for ruck duties as I see him taking Cameron’s role at CHF and pushing Cameron to FF, leading out of the square. A young ruckman for the future is exactly what we need, “Conway tapping it down to Stephens who bombs it long Cameron Flys! Ball spills to Stengle who snaps it, geelong have hit the front!”

Tyson Stengle - At first I sceptical on our pickup of Tyson, player from the SANFL especially with his background in illegal substances...but I think having Eddie at the club has helped him heaps! I can easily see Tyson take Luke Dahlhaus role during the season, he’ll be a gun.

Nick Stevens - Although he is labeled as a defender, I believe we could play nick Stevens off a wing, fast and tall might we what we need off the wing. I don’t have as much to say about nick as the others but I believe he was another player that impressed Joel at the first few trainings before Christmas. Stevens could be a good replacement for Blicavs, Henry takes the FB position as I think Blicavs should go back to play midfield/wing/ruck for 2022.

Sorry for the long comment, but I’d like to know who you are looking forward to see play and why.

Go Cats

Cooper Stephens - I read early in the pre season that cooper impressed Joel with how he trained. I can only imagine a hard young inside midfielder is exactly what we need in the coming years. Cooper will 100% make his debut due to close contacts which could force Joel, danger or menegola out for 1/2 games. But I’d rather him earn his way into to side and replace Higgins.

Sam De Koning - “you won’t remember who Henderson and Taylor were” with this guy, although I think it’s an outlandish call the kid has some potential for sure. Did sneak into the side last year but I believe he played more a forward/ ruck role? He’s in the race to take Lachie Henderson’s role for sure.

Toby Conway - I may be biased as he’s come from the same local club I played at, but I think geelong have for once chosen the right player. Ceglar and Stanley only have 1/2 years left in them and we can’t depend on Esava for ruck duties as I see him taking Cameron’s role at CHF and pushing Cameron to FF, leading out of the square. A young ruckman for the future is exactly what we need, “Conway tapping it down to Stephens who bombs it long Cameron Flys! Ball spills to Stengle who snaps it, geelong have hit the front!”

Tyson Stengle - At first I sceptical on our pickup of Tyson, player from the SANFL especially with his background in illegal substances...but I think having Eddie at the club has helped him heaps! I can easily see Tyson take Luke Dahlhaus role during the season, he’ll be a gun.

Nick Stevens - Although he is labeled as a defender, I believe we could play nick Stevens off a wing, fast and tall might we what we need off the wing. I don’t have as much to say about nick as the others but I believe he was another player that impressed Joel at the first few trainings before Christmas. Stevens could be a good replacement for Blicavs, Henry takes the FB position as I think Blicavs should go back to play midfield/wing/ruck for 2022.

Sorry for the long comment, but I’d like to know who you are looking forward to see play and why.

Go Cats
I don't see N Stevens playing on the tall forwards he is not that type of player, more a half back but i would start with on the the wing as he is a good ball user

Go Cats
I agree with most of this... But the only difference with Stengle to others and no doubt at all some of our own players is that he got caught... Hopefully still the change in environment means he either steers clear of it all. Or at least is discrete enough not to get in trouble

Agree with this. I do also wonder whether MOC might add something to the midfield mix more consistently this year if he has an uninterrupted season.

But seriously expecting Holmes, Stephens and Knevitt to be real difference-makers in the mids group in 2022 (despite the fact that I would love to see them all play some meaningful football in the ones) is fanciful in the extreme.

Have to admit, never heard of Jenkins being rated as the best forward/ruck in the game for a long time. Maybe for a couple of seasons he was producing elite footy. Overall though, he was never even considered an elite forward and always second fiddle to the likes of Betts and Tex Walker.
He and Lynch were still a handy duo in their own right.
He kicked 40+ goals for five consecutive seasons playing FWD/RUC. That is elite.

I’m fine with not remembering Henderson, can’t forget Harry. Wouldn’t have won 09 without him so put some respect to his name.
Was a very important player for us from 08 to 11, you know when we were last winning flags, and that ignores how good he was until about 2018 before age caught him.

Was a very important player for us from 08 to 11, you know when we were last winning flags, and that ignores how good he was until about 2018 before age caught him.
Loved him, but I always thought he was competing with Scarlett for that dominant defender role?

I loved scarlo to bits so I would always think Harry was trying to take scarlos spotlight and I wasn’t happy about it! Lol. Until 09 when he should’ve won the norm I didn’t like Harry Taylor.

Problem is though tennis isn't footy. Federer doesn't get tackled or bumped.

If Selwood can't make it out there every week - and at the right level - then he shouldn't get special treatment. Neither should anyone else. The amazing thing is the club did NOT even think of doing stuff like this from 2007-2011, when we theoretically were good enough to justify it, but now we're not it's openly encouraged. Tom Harley returned to the senior team in 2007 via the VFL. As Captain. Joel Corey did it a few years later. Both of them are better clubmen than just about anyone on our list now. And that mindset and example seemed to work.
I agree with a lot of what you’re saying, especially in regards to Dahlhaus, Higgins, Steven, etc. but Joel Selwood is a different kettle of fish. One he is Geelong royalty (that counts to me) and two, he hasn’t deserved to lose his place in the team yet, not even close, so the argument is pointless until we get to that point in time. My money is on hm not losing that spot anytime soon either.

Actually, I remember two much maligned Geelong players in that game who I thought were significant contributors towards the win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back