Training 2022 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
How's Will Brodie going ? Still lagging behind fitness wise ?
This seems to be the view of several training watchers. It’s a bit of an indictment on GC considering Will had lost weight and was in ‘the best condition of his career’ (paraphrasing).

Reminds me of when Colin Sylvia got to Freo from the rabble that was Melbourne at the time. Miles off the pace fitness-wise.

SHill Shall

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
This seems to be the view of several training watchers. It’s a bit of an indictment on GC considering Will had lost weight and was in ‘the best condition of his career’ (paraphrasing).

Reminds me of when Colin Sylvia got to Freo from the rabble that was Melbourne at the time. Miles off the pace fitness-wise.
It seems like he's putting the work in to get the best out of himself. His tank just appears to be inherently smaller than others. Mundy for example has carved out a fine career but never sets the world on fire in the running tests - although you wouldn't know in games.

Dec 6, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle

Similar to when Broughton went from Freo to Gold Coast and smashed all their time trials. It’s little wonder they always fade out in the second half of the year

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
It seems like he's putting the work in to get the best out of himself. His tank just appears to be inherently smaller than others. Mundy for example has carved out a fine career but never sets the world on fire in the running tests - although you wouldn't know in games.
You can't have too many Mundy's, but Brodie needs to distinguish himself from a bunch of candidates who might be considered in the future. Simply, he needs to be doing everything possible to give himself a shot at an opportunity. Outside of his tank, his disposal, marking and defensive work need to stand out.

Johnson and Young look for all the world like there could be some DNA in common with Mundy.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle

I think to get the best out of him he'll be used as a bit of a burst player both as an inside mid and forward but will rotate off the bench plenty. Its a bit of a luxury but he's good enough. It'll obviously depend on the make-up of the team though - if we're hit with injuries and are playing too many youngsters, it'll be a luxury we can't afford.

BTW, so glad we've moved on from discussing a newspaper article that happened to mention some homeless people. FMD!

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I think to get the best out of him he'll be used as a bit of a burst player both as an inside mid and forward but will rotate off the bench plenty. Its a bit of a luxury but he's good enough. It'll obviously depend on the make-up of the team though - if we're hit with injuries and are playing too many youngsters, it'll be a luxury we can't afford.

BTW, so glad we've moved on from discussing a newspaper article that happened to mention some homeless people. FMD!
I know GCSs had an idea to use him forward a bit, but I haven't really seen much evidence to see it as having been effective. It does appear to be his way in though, barring injuries.

Dayts

Club Legend
Jul 31, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Looked explosive out of stoppages and breaking tackles on Wednesday, and looks elite in tight from limited footage.
Just gonna get exposed on the spread, but wouldn’t be the first bb mid to struggle to cover the ground

SHill Shall

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Looked explosive out of stoppages and breaking tackles on Wednesday, and looks elite in tight from limited footage.
Just gonna get exposed on the spread, but wouldn’t be the first bb mid to struggle to cover the ground
Yeah, he's more a poor man's Fyfe than a poor man's Mundy. Shaping as a pure inside mid that can rest forward.

He got a ton of it in the seconds last year and so I think he just needs a prolonged crack at AFL level to prove his worth - providing his base level of fitness is sufficient.

idontcarehey

Rookie
Oct 15, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
How are you all gonna see Touk Miller and Will Brodie in the same team, and deduce it's Gold Coast's fault and not Will's that he's unfit? Why do you think they discarded him for trading into next year?

SupermanCapes

Team Captain
Mar 16, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
How are you all gonna see Touk Miller and Will Brodie in the same team, and deduce it's Gold Coast's fault and not Will's that he's unfit? Why do you think they discarded him for trading into next year?
Weird to drop in and fire shots at the entire board, but you do you. Touk Miller is a freak both athletically and with pill in hand, not sure pointing to him as being fit in any way invalidates the suggestion that GC S&C is sub-par. You're right that it might be Brodie's fault, we'll find out if he's able to improve his tank once he plays a few games in purple, but you've come in very hot with a pretty average take.

I wouldn't expect a Dons supporter to follow our trades closely, but it's well reported that they "discarded him" along with his fairly substantial salary in order to make room to pay their better players. No one is suggesting he's a lock to be elite (personally I think he's going to be pretty garbage and will spend most of his Freo career playing at Peel) but they wouldn't have offered him the big money in the first place unless he had shown a glimpse of ability at some point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City

Brodie isn't the only GC player we've recruited who hasn't been up to scratch in the fitness department. And given the results GC get I'd suggest Miller is an exception to a terrible club culture and S&C program.

idontcarehey

Rookie
Oct 15, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Brodie isn't the only GC player we've recruited who hasn't been up to scratch in the fitness department. And given the results GC get I'd suggest Miller is an exception to a terrible club culture and S&C program.

Nope. Flanders, Anderson, Sharp, Weller, Burgess, Powell, Bowes, Farrar, Hollands, Corbett all exceptional runners. Talking out your A.

idontcarehey

Rookie
Oct 15, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Clubs don't publish their 2km time trial numbers, there is no way to compare a club until a player moves from one to another.

That has nothing to do with the fact that they're exceptional runners.

Anyway, my point is Brodie is solely responsible for his rubbish fitness - and I'm sure you'll agree with me by year's end.

Anyway, my point is Brodie is solely responsible for his rubbish fitness - and I'm sure you'll agree with me by year's end.
The issue being discussed was that gold coast's running program is inferior as an explanation for why they fade out as the season goes on.

Running capability going into the game isn't going to overcome the program the S&C team give you.

But the real answer is that too many of them drink and go out during the season.

SupermanCapes

Team Captain
Mar 16, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Washington Wizards

Why are you so sure about this? And why do you seem to care so much about the GC S&C department's reputation? Is that you Dean Ritchie?

idontcarehey

Rookie
Oct 15, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Why are you so sure about this? And why do you seem to care so much about the GC S&C department's reputation? Is that you Dean Ritchie?

I do love the continued strawman arguments - Will Brodie isn't up to it, plain and simple - and it's his own fault. That's all I'm saying, I'm not even attacking Freo whatsoever, but I guess it's a touch fragile in here.

FD2646

Premiership Player
Sep 11, 2008
Everywhere, anywhere
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth
I do love the continued strawman arguments - Will Brodie isn't up to it, plain and simple - and it's his own fault. That's all I'm saying, I'm not even attacking Freo whatsoever, but I guess it's a touch fragile in here.
You've had your 5 minutes here, made your point and I for one hope Brodie makes you eat your words. Jog on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back