Training 2022 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Preseason report#4

Rehab
The only players in rehab for the whole session were Fyfe, Mundy, Amiss and Treacy, others joined later after runs in the main group.
Mundy looks pretty good and was jogging laps at a reasonable Mundy speed. It appears the leg re-attachment is coming along a treat.
Fyfe spent a lot of time running and then leading for the ball in the forward line and appears to have improved significantly - but did revert back to one handed marking late in the session under fatigue.
Treacy is now concerning me, has spent every session I have observed in the rehab group and does not seem to have progressed much at all.

Main group
Large numbers (around 41) with up to 5 extra unknown additional trainers. One of the additional trainers was an indigenous boy built like a brick outhouse about Crowden height and was very good in the forward line.
The good news for me was the extra amount of training done by Hamling, Sturt and Tabs, they completed most training except at the end when they had the full ground full contact practice.
Hamling was having a great time competing and was in very good shape and full of enthusiasm.
The standouts for me was the speed of Clark running out of the backline, he is being used heaps by his teammates, Henry very skillful, great pace and laid some good tackles. Also thought Will Brodie (who I have mentioned before for lack of fitness) did a lot of good work in and under getting the ball out, possible Blakely replacement.
The session was long and there was barely a wasted moment as the players went at each other.
Serong still in the orange cap and sat out the full ground session.
Meek took it up to Darcy in spirited contests.
A lot of work being done on the final kick into the forward fifty, but we still seem to struggle to get good separation for our forward targets.
Lobb was the only standout forward.
Erasmus and Johnson are doing all training and don’t appear to be being held back at all, Erasmus already imposing himself on contests and looking the part of a starting midfielder.
At one point Crowden, Erasmus, Johnson, Clark, Serong and Chapman were working together and their kicking skills were all exceptional.
Also, don’t discount Banfield, he was very strong with his marking and was one of the best kicks into the forward line.

Disappointing
Frederick barely touched the ball and didn’t show any explosive pace at any point.

Missing
Valente

TTHD awards
Clark will provide fantastic run from the backline
Banfield - strong boy that really does very little wrong

How was our defence looking?

Poor Liam Henry, getting big Alex Pearce's knee right in his nose...

1642147705796.png

Sounds like Will Brodie smashed it in the intra club today. Good thing he's improved his fitness. "Touk Miller 2.0" some are calling him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must be a good backline when Ryan can’t force his way in.

Indeed. I was watching some highlights from last year & Brandon Walker can seriously play & he’s miles down the order.
Wilson doesn’t even get mentioned by most people considering our best back 6!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Large numbers (around 41) with up to 5 extra unknown additional trainers. One of the additional trainers was an indigenous boy built like a brick outhouse about Crowden height and was very good in the forward line.

Peel players listed in the report on the website. Likely player here is Roy George.

"Five Peel players also featured in the match in Luke Polson, Roy George, Jack Sears, Jarrad McIlvinney and Wade Derksten, highlighted by Polson kicking the opening goal of the match sim and George taking an imrpessive mark at half forward."

Brodie would be guaranteed A-grade if he had a tank.

He was usually last or close to it in all the Suns running as well.

Dew didn't play him for a reason, and it's not because he doesn't have great offensive ability (although Dew is a bit of dummy and struggles to see this sometimes anyway). Suns have got rid of Lyons for similar reasons (can't run and it doesn't fit with Dew's tremendous gameplan), and left Fiorini to rot in the 2's for one and a half seasons because of similar reasons.

FWIW, the opinion is that the Suns training standards are more than adequate; in the past - not so much, but now, very much so; so, yeah, it's not really a Suns thing, he is just not too well endowed with cardio, but hopefully he has a coach now who can find a way to make his skills work because he does have a lot of them, IMO.

Cripps apparently has no tank either, so if teams can make it work with one player, I can't see why an instant line has to be drawn through someone like Brodie, as as I said, he really does have a lot going for himself otherwise.

Dew didn't play him for a reason, and it's not because he doesn't have great offensive ability (although Dew is a bit of dummy and struggles to see this sometimes anyway). Suns have got rid of Lyons for similar reasons (can't run and it doesn't fit with Dew's tremendous gameplan), and left Fiorini to rot in the 2's for one and a half seasons because of similar reasons.

FWIW, the opinion is that the Suns training standards are more than adequate; in the past - not so much, but now, very much so; so, yeah, it's not really a Suns thing, he is just not too well endowed with cardio, but hopefully he has a coach now who can find a way to make his skills work because he does have a lot of them, IMO.

Cripps apparently has no tank either, so if teams can make it work with one player, I can't see why an instant line has to be drawn through someone like Brodie, as as I said, he really does have a lot going for himself otherwise.
thanks for the insight, genuine question and not having a dig at the suns, but what do you attribute the second half of the season fade out to? It’s been an issue for a few years now, is it simply because you play too many kids who aren’t ready for a full season or something else?
we had a similar issue from 2015-2019 and many put it down to our taxing game plan that required 100% effort to be effective.

896BF18B-7BA8-46DC-A78F-FCA9CA2CBC61.jpeg

Great chapter in this book that discusses anaerobic training, and makes mention that some people just don’t have the capacity to improve much.
Just as someone can only add so many inches to a vertical leap. Same can be said for adding running endurance.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back