Training 2022 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Interested to see what they do with Walker this year given our backline is stacked. Could he play on the wing? Forward?
The guy always turns towards goal no matter what part of the ground he is on. That's both a strength and a weakness, but imo there should be a role for someone like that in the team.

We should expect West Coast to try and poach Brandon Walker.
There is zero chance we lose anyone we want to keep to WC given the history of the two clubs, I legit wouldn’t be surprised if the clubs have agreed to just leave each other alone completely.

Play him in his natural position as a rebounding defender and move Clark to the wing ;)
I agree with you, but I also don't mind Longmuir getting Clark full of confidence by playing him back for now.

And I also don't rule out Walker becoming a winger on his own right, or a replacement for Wilson in time.

The way Walker, Chapman, Clark and O'Driscoll are handled is going to be really interesting.

I agree with you, but I also don't mind Longmuir getting Clark full of confidence by playing him back for now.

And I also don't rule out Walker becoming a winger on his own right, or a replacement for Wilson in time.

The way Walker, Chapman, Clark and O'Driscoll are handled is going to be really interesting.
I like JLOs gameplan but sometimes his selection of the b22 is questionable. I'll back him to make the right choices in the long term though I just want to see our boys reach their maximum potential.

Let's not forget that Brandon is an AFL baby - if he has to spend some time at Peel in order to force his way into the side that's not a bad thing for a third year player.

I like JLOs gameplan but sometimes his selection of the b22 is questionable. I'll back him to make the right choices in the long term though I just want to see our boys reach their maximum potential.
If he plays Clark back, to me it implies that he is confident in our wings. And we do have options;

Mature; Tucker, Aish, Acres.

Developing; Henry, Frederick.

Untried; O'Driscoll, Johnson, Worner.

Left field untried; Chapman, Walker, Erasmus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's not forget that Brandon is an AFL baby - if he has to spend some time at Peel in order to force his way into the side that's not a bad thing for a third year player.

He is coming into his second year having played ten of a possible twenty two games.

Fremantle Dockers star Caleb Serong opens up on tough first years away from home amid COVID-19 pandemic​

Samantha RogersThe West Australian
Mon, 24 January 2022 2:00AM

Fremantle Dockers young gun [PLAYERCARD]Caleb Serong[/PLAYERCARD] has opened up on missing his family back in Victoria, as the first two years of his AFL career has coincided with the COVID-19 pandemic.

Fremantle Dockers young gun Caleb Serong has opened up on missing his family back in Victoria, as the first two years of his AFL career has coincided with the COVID-19 pandemic. Credit: Daniel Carson/AFL Photos

Fremantle Dockers young gun Caleb Serong has opened up on missing his family back in Victoria, as the first two years of his AFL career coincided with the COVID-19 pandemic shutting WA off from the rest of the country.
The 20-year-old moved to the west coast just before coronavirus outbreak, selected by the Dockers with pick 8 in the 2019 draft.
2020, Serong’s introduction to senior football, was heavily disrupted by the COVID-19 crisis - which was formerly declared a pandemic by the World Health Organisation on March 11 - eight days before the scheduled start of the season.
The AFL managed to sneak one round in before the league shutdown until June 11, three months later, while Serong had to wait until round four for his debut.
[PLAYERCARD]Caleb Serong[/PLAYERCARD] with [PLAYERCARD]Justin Longmuir[/PLAYERCARD] after being drafted by the Dockers with pick 8 in 2019.
Caleb Serong with Justin Longmuir after being drafted by the Dockers with pick 8 in 2019. Credit: Michael Willson/AFL Photos
But despite a clean-sweep of the first-year awards in his introductory season, it hasn’t all been smooth sailing for the formidable midfielder.
“It’s been difficult, especially at times where say it’s in the footy season and things aren’t going well and whenever it’s kind of tough to escape footy ‘cause you’ve got your mates at the club and the coaching staff but I guess we don’t have a lot of connection elsewhere other than that,” Serong told The West Australian.
“But for a lot of us guys, we’ve got partners over here that have made the sacrifice to move over, which has been a massive help for a lot of us and has really made the transition over the last two years a lot easier.
“For me, my parents have only been over here about three or four days each since I got drafted and I’ve only been back for a few weeks since.
“I haven’t seen them a lot over the past two years and at times you do miss them a lot.”
While the February 5 border opening delay hasn’t helped the light at the end of the tunnel get much brighter, Serong has found comfort in the fact that he isn’t the only Docker missing loved ones.
Defender Hayden Young (pick 7) was drafted in the same year as Serong, joining fellow Victorians including Sam Sturt, Lachie Schultz, Andrew Brayshaw, Adam Cerra, Lloyd Meek, Sam Switkowki, Sean Darcy and Luke Ryan to join the club’s list since 2016.
While Cerra packed his bags to return home at the end of last season, Serong insists the rest of the players from interstate are throwing their arms around each-other as they chase success in purple together.
That group of interstate guys are really close and over the last two years, it’s been really tough,” Serong said.
“A lot of guys haven’t been able to see their families and haven’t been able to get home so we’ve kind of been stuck here together and you can look at it in a negative light that we’ve been away from our families and it’s been tough for us, which it has.
“But it’s also allowed us to grow together and really get close and lean on each-other a lot, which has built that connection.”
Serong revealed around 30 players spent Christmas Day together at the house of Fremantle vice-captain Brayshaw, as they “couldn’t get home” to see their families due to WA’s strict border controls.
“Those kind of things are things that really build the connection and that culture at the club that you don’t want to leave,” he said.
“So that’s what we’re doing at the moment and hopefully everyone feels the same way, because I’m really loving what we’re building at the moment at the club.”
Serong says the Dockers drafted from interstate have a special bond.

Serong says the Dockers drafted from interstate have a special bond. Credit: Will Russell/AFL Photos
“I guess for me we just try to put our arms around each-other and grow that connection because it’s not going to be like this forever – hopefully – but for this moment, the positives we can take out of it is the connection we’re building.
“To lean on each-other as much as we have and other teams in the competition haven’t really had to deal with it as much as we have and obviously they’re going through other stuff with COVID but for us, we’re trying to take this as a really positive experience for us to improve our culture and build that connection.”

Dockers training notes: Limping Rory Lobb, Nat Fyfe misses match sim and David Mundy still in rehab group​

Headshot of Jordan McArdle

Jordan McArdleThe West Australian
Mon, 24 January 2022 12:12PM
Jordan McArdle

Fremantle's [PLAYERCARD]David Mundy[/PLAYERCARD] was restricted to laps, while ruck-forward [PLAYERCARD]Rory Lobb[/PLAYERCARD] appeared to hurt his ankle.

Fremantle's David Mundy was restricted to laps, while ruck-forward Rory Lobb appeared to hurt his ankle. Credit: The West Australian Sport

Limping Lobb
Fremantle forward-ruck Rory Lobb appeared to hurt his ankle during match simulation.
Lobb, who has had a history of ankle issues, looked in serious discomfort when it happened and limped around for a bit, but still managed to complete the session.
[PLAYERCARD]Rory Lobb[/PLAYERCARD] was in pain after appearing to hurt his ankle.

Rory Lobb was in pain after appearing to hurt his ankle. Credit: Iain Gillespie/The West Australian
Midfielder Connor Blakely copped a hit around the same time but continued on after taking a bit of time get up.
On a positive note, a bulked-up Sam Sturt completed his first match sim of the summer as the classy forward looks to put a horror run of injuries behind him.
Missing in action
Nat Fyfe started and finished the session but didn’t take part in match sim as he builds fitness after post-season surgery.
Nat Fyfe and [PLAYERCARD]Caleb Serong[/PLAYERCARD] have a chat at training.

Nat Fyfe and Caleb Serong have a chat at training. Credit: Iain Gillespie/The West Australian
The dual Brownlow medallist went over to the rehab group, which consisted of top-10 pick Jye Amiss, veteran David Mundy and second-year forward Josh Treacy, when match sim started.
Mundy mainly ran laps as he recovers from an ankle injury sustained in the final pre-Christmas session.
The West Australian understands East Perth product Amiss is being managed after a bit of soreness following a return to full load post-Christmas and nothing to do with last year’s knee injury.
[PLAYERCARD]David Mundy[/PLAYERCARD] was restricted to running laps.

David Mundy was restricted to running laps. Credit: Iain Gillespie/The West Australian
Reigning Doig medallist Sean Darcy looked sore and didn’t do a massive amount, taking part in the warm up before disappearing inside the club’s Cockburn headquarters.
Darcy then came back out and did various leg stretches away from the main group with his left knee heavily strapped.
Recruit Jordan Clark and injury-prone midfielder Luke Valente also weren’t sighted after the warm ups, while draftee Matt Johnson didn’t take part due to a suspected foot injury.
Defender Joel Hamling joined in the first half of the session before doing some sprints on his own.
The number of players missing is still a lot lower than it usually is this time of year for the Dockers.
Learning from Lecca
Josh Treacy was making the most of West Coast great Mark Lecras’ return to Fremantle, spending plenty of time with him during the session.
Treacy and Lecras did various drills together before the hulking forward joined the rehab group.
Former West Coast spearhead [PLAYERCARD]Mark LeCras[/PLAYERCARD] helps out Fremantle forward Josh Treacy.

Former West Coast spearhead Mark LeCras helps out Fremantle forward Josh Treacy.Credit: Iain Gillespie/The West Australian
Lecras is back for his second coaching stint at the Dockers, in a part-time forward role, after returning to his old club West Coast for a bit.
COVID scare
Fremantle’s Next Generation Academy presentation morning, due to be held inside Cockburn ARC in a meeting room, was cancelled because the venue was a possible COVID-19 exposure site.
No Dockers players were affected by the COVID scare.

Fremantle Dockers star Caleb Serong opens up on tough first years away from home amid COVID-19 pandemic​

Samantha RogersThe West Australian
Mon, 24 January 2022 2:00AM

Fremantle Dockers young gun Caleb Serong has opened up on missing his family back in Victoria, as the first two years of his AFL career has coincided with the COVID-19 pandemic.

Fremantle Dockers young gun Caleb Serong has opened up on missing his family back in Victoria, as the first two years of his AFL career has coincided with the COVID-19 pandemic. Credit: Daniel Carson/AFL Photos

Fremantle Dockers young gun Caleb Serong has opened up on missing his family back in Victoria, as the first two years of his AFL career coincided with the COVID-19 pandemic shutting WA off from the rest of the country.
The 20-year-old moved to the west coast just before coronavirus outbreak, selected by the Dockers with pick 8 in the 2019 draft.
2020, Serong’s introduction to senior football, was heavily disrupted by the COVID-19 crisis - which was formerly declared a pandemic by the World Health Organisation on March 11 - eight days before the scheduled start of the season.
The AFL managed to sneak one round in before the league shutdown until June 11, three months later, while Serong had to wait until round four for his debut.
Caleb Serong with Justin Longmuir after being drafted by the Dockers with pick 8 in 2019.
Caleb Serong with Justin Longmuir after being drafted by the Dockers with pick 8 in 2019. Credit: Michael Willson/AFL Photos
But despite a clean-sweep of the first-year awards in his introductory season, it hasn’t all been smooth sailing for the formidable midfielder.
“It’s been difficult, especially at times where say it’s in the footy season and things aren’t going well and whenever it’s kind of tough to escape footy ‘cause you’ve got your mates at the club and the coaching staff but I guess we don’t have a lot of connection elsewhere other than that,” Serong told The West Australian.
“But for a lot of us guys, we’ve got partners over here that have made the sacrifice to move over, which has been a massive help for a lot of us and has really made the transition over the last two years a lot easier.
“For me, my parents have only been over here about three or four days each since I got drafted and I’ve only been back for a few weeks since.
“I haven’t seen them a lot over the past two years and at times you do miss them a lot.”
While the February 5 border opening delay hasn’t helped the light at the end of the tunnel get much brighter, Serong has found comfort in the fact that he isn’t the only Docker missing loved ones.
Defender Hayden Young (pick 7) was drafted in the same year as Serong, joining fellow Victorians including Sam Sturt, Lachie Schultz, Andrew Brayshaw, Adam Cerra, Lloyd Meek, Sam Switkowki, Sean Darcy and Luke Ryan to join the club’s list since 2016.
While Cerra packed his bags to return home at the end of last season, Serong insists the rest of the players from interstate are throwing their arms around each-other as they chase success in purple together.
That group of interstate guys are really close and over the last two years, it’s been really tough,” Serong said.
“A lot of guys haven’t been able to see their families and haven’t been able to get home so we’ve kind of been stuck here together and you can look at it in a negative light that we’ve been away from our families and it’s been tough for us, which it has.
“But it’s also allowed us to grow together and really get close and lean on each-other a lot, which has built that connection.”
Serong revealed around 30 players spent Christmas Day together at the house of Fremantle vice-captain Brayshaw, as they “couldn’t get home” to see their families due to WA’s strict border controls.
“Those kind of things are things that really build the connection and that culture at the club that you don’t want to leave,” he said.
“So that’s what we’re doing at the moment and hopefully everyone feels the same way, because I’m really loving what we’re building at the moment at the club.”
Serong says the Dockers drafted from interstate have a special bond.

Serong says the Dockers drafted from interstate have a special bond. Credit: Will Russell/AFL Photos
“I guess for me we just try to put our arms around each-other and grow that connection because it’s not going to be like this forever – hopefully – but for this moment, the positives we can take out of it is the connection we’re building.
“To lean on each-other as much as we have and other teams in the competition haven’t really had to deal with it as much as we have and obviously they’re going through other stuff with COVID but for us, we’re trying to take this as a really positive experience for us to improve our culture and build that connection.”
I don't know whether that article makes me more or less concerned about players leaving.

Dockers training notes: Limping Rory Lobb, Nat Fyfe misses match sim and David Mundy still in rehab group​

Jordan McArdle

Fremantle's David Mundy was restricted to laps, while ruck-forward Rory Lobb appeared to hurt his ankle.'s David Mundy was restricted to laps, while ruck-forward Rory Lobb appeared to hurt his ankle.

Fremantle's David Mundy was restricted to laps, while ruck-forward Rory Lobb appeared to hurt his ankle. Credit: The West Australian Sport

Limping Lobb
Fremantle forward-ruck Rory Lobb appeared to hurt his ankle during match simulation.
Lobb, who has had a history of ankle issues, looked in serious discomfort when it happened and limped around for a bit, but still managed to complete the session.
Rory Lobb was in pain after appearing to hurt his ankle.

Rory Lobb was in pain after appearing to hurt his ankle. Credit: Iain Gillespie/The West Australian
Midfielder Connor Blakely copped a hit around the same time but continued on after taking a bit of time get up.
On a positive note, a bulked-up Sam Sturt completed his first match sim of the summer as the classy forward looks to put a horror run of injuries behind him.
Missing in action
Nat Fyfe started and finished the session but didn’t take part in match sim as he builds fitness after post-season surgery.
Nat Fyfe and Caleb Serong have a chat at training.

Nat Fyfe and Caleb Serong have a chat at training. Credit: Iain Gillespie/The West Australian
The dual Brownlow medallist went over to the rehab group, which consisted of top-10 pick Jye Amiss, veteran David Mundy and second-year forward Josh Treacy, when match sim started.
Mundy mainly ran laps as he recovers from an ankle injury sustained in the final pre-Christmas session.
The West Australian understands East Perth product Amiss is being managed after a bit of soreness following a return to full load post-Christmas and nothing to do with last year’s knee injury.
David Mundy was restricted to running laps.

David Mundy was restricted to running laps. Credit: Iain Gillespie/The West Australian
Reigning Doig medallist Sean Darcy looked sore and didn’t do a massive amount, taking part in the warm up before disappearing inside the club’s Cockburn headquarters.
Darcy then came back out and did various leg stretches away from the main group with his left knee heavily strapped.
Recruit Jordan Clark and injury-prone midfielder Luke Valente also weren’t sighted after the warm ups, while draftee Matt Johnson didn’t take part due to a suspected foot injury.
Defender Joel Hamling joined in the first half of the session before doing some sprints on his own.
The number of players missing is still a lot lower than it usually is this time of year for the Dockers.
Learning from Lecca
Josh Treacy was making the most of West Coast great Mark Lecras’ return to Fremantle, spending plenty of time with him during the session.
Treacy and Lecras did various drills together before the hulking forward joined the rehab group.
Former West Coast spearhead Mark LeCras helps out Fremantle forward Josh Treacy.

Former West Coast spearhead Mark LeCras helps out Fremantle forward Josh Treacy.Credit: Iain Gillespie/The West Australian
Lecras is back for his second coaching stint at the Dockers, in a part-time forward role, after returning to his old club West Coast for a bit.
COVID scare
Fremantle’s Next Generation Academy presentation morning, due to be held inside Cockburn ARC in a meeting room, was cancelled because the venue was a possible COVID-19 exposure site.
So the injuries begin

20DC1248-406B-4257-AE20-1C6359BA9D7A.jpeg 6B9C6CBC-C80A-4ABF-810F-1A97A8DD4E7C.jpeg 3538C554-5160-46F3-A9CD-E8D68846B83A.jpeg

Jordan McArdle

Fremantle's [PLAYERCARD]David Mundy[/PLAYERCARD] was restricted to laps, while ruck-forward [PLAYERCARD]Rory Lobb[/PLAYERCARD] appeared to hurt his ankle.'s [PLAYERCARD]David Mundy[/PLAYERCARD] was restricted to laps, while ruck-forward [PLAYERCARD]Rory Lobb[/PLAYERCARD] appeared to hurt his ankle.

Limping Lobb
[PLAYERCARD]Rory Lobb[/PLAYERCARD] was in pain after appearing to hurt his ankle.

Missing in action
Nat Fyfe and [PLAYERCARD]Caleb Serong[/PLAYERCARD] have a chat at training.

[PLAYERCARD]David Mundy[/PLAYERCARD] was restricted to running laps.

Learning from Lecca
Former West Coast spearhead [PLAYERCARD]Mark LeCras[/PLAYERCARD] helps out Fremantle forward Josh Treacy.

COVID scare
Recruit Jordan Clark and injury-prone midfielder Luke Valente also weren’t sighted after the warm ups,

And yet he appears in 3 of 48 match sim photos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back