Training 2022 Training Reports

Sturty2Hurty

Team Captain
Jul 24, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Preseason should be starting soon. As a rebuilding team it's interesting to think about where the improvement will come from and hopefully this thread will give us a better indication of where we're at and what we're capable of. I thought this would be a fun thread to look back on during the season to assess whether our team is improving. In 2021 I felt we learnt a lot about our players and I felt I could narrow down flaws to one or two specific areas. So with that what area do you want to see each player improve in over the preseason?

Sturt - getting on the park
Logue - reading the play
Serong - scoreboard impact
Darcy - beating the top rucks (Gawn/NN)
Fyfe - shoulder rehab, goal kicking
Brayshaw - scoreboard impact
Acres - decision making
Walters - cutting out the staging from his game
Aish - scoreboard impact/getting more of the pill
Crowden - forward pressure
Ryan - leading the backline
Wilson - speed of decision making
Hughes - eliminating Cat 10s
Mundy - maintaining performances with age
Tucker - spatial awareness
Blakely - kicking
Taberner - getting through a full season, want to see a 6+ goal haul
Hamling - getting on the park
Meek - contested marking
Henry - forward pressure
Pearce - leading the backline, managing body
Young - risk assessment with kicking
Chapman - Making best 22
Shultz - speed
Valente - existing
O'Driscoll - decision making / earning debut
Walker - production
Colyer - goal kicking / forward pressure
Treacy - kicking bags
Cox - second efforts
Lobb - goal kicking, ruck work, freeing the arms in contests
Switta - managing body
Banfield - getting separation, positioning, production
Frederick - goal kicking

Whole team - goal kicking, forward pressure, contested game
JLO - Game day tactics if a team is getting a run on, opening quarters, synergy between forwards and midfielders.

I want to add these are critiques only and really want to encourage posters to NOT bag players. As a supporter there is a joy in watching a player grow and get better and I definitely want that to be theme of the thread.

Last edited:

anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
Can start by working on the skin folds
Maybe he is already working on that as he has begun preseason already. As have a few of the team.
I realise that it is the sole opinion of the Contra, and I am not disputing his right. But I find the knock on Cox to be a bit rough.He has done more than a whole lot of others. He is a player that, to me, is an all in player. He gives more than one effort.
But that is my opinion.
Yes wanting to see Valente on the track and in games wearing the Purple 29. As I think most would.
Ryan" Leading the back line"? Please explain.
Agree re Blakely. But I feel he will struggle to get games this season.
Others I could make comment on, but will leave it at that.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
We're not meant to be rebuilding, we're meant to be built by now. There's the problem.
We need Young and Henry to make massive progress in their third year. And Sturt to play a full season. If these types of guys don't hit the heights soon the timing of their incline with Fyfe's and Walters decline is going to be all wrong.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Henry needs an enormous pre season. Good chance he'll be outside the 22

Hopefully Sturt gets a full one also

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I don't think there is a good chance Henry we'll be out of the best 22. He had a good preseason last year. Another one like that and some more muscle he'll be looking great for a spot on the wing.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I don't think there is a good chance Henry we'll be out of the best 22. He had a good preseason last year. Another one like that and some more muscle he'll be looking great for a spot on the wing.
If you were positioning our best 22 to specifically fix the midfield - forward connection, Henry on the wing looks smart.

Sturty2Hurty

Team Captain
Jul 24, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Maybe he is already working on that as he has begun preseason already. As have a few of the team.
I realise that it is the sole opinion of the Contra, and I am not disputing his right. But I find the knock on Cox to be a bit rough.He has done more than a whole lot of others. He is a player that, to me, is an all in player. He gives more than one effort.
But that is my opinion.
Yes wanting to see Valente on the track and in games wearing the Purple 29. As I think most would.
Ryan" Leading the back line"? Please explain.
Agree re Blakely. But I feel he will struggle to get games this season.
Others I could make comment on, but will leave it at that.

Hmm I could of possibly rephrased Cox's bit - more like staying involved with the play. When McKay got a hold of him in that first Carlton game I noticed Cox going to ground a lot and not exactly in a rush to get back up. He might've been playing injured. If Pearce is playing I think they'll collectively be able to contain the McKays of the game. I'm also more in favour of Cox going forward.

Similar with Ryan, I just think they need to work together more and communicate to each other. The fast run on teams like Brisbane absolutely kill our defense and literally all of our players are out of position. I think the backline needs a leader and while I see Pearce doing this the most at game he's not there half the time. Ryan is far more durable and personally I think could be the leader we need in the backline.

Dump Truck

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Preseason should be starting soon. As a rebuilding team it's interesting to think about where the improvement will come from and hopefully this thread will give us a better indication of where we're at and what we're capable of. I thought this would be a fun thread to look back on during the season to assess whether our team is improving. In 2021 I felt we learnt a lot about our players and I felt I could narrow down flaws to one or two specific areas. So with that what area do you want to see each player improve in over the preseason?

Brayshaw - scoreboard impact
Taberner - getting through a full season, want to see a 6+ goal haul
Shultz - speed
Valente - existing

Good analysis CV!

Brayshaw: I'd say he made a fair improvement this year. A couple of two (maybe even a 3?) goal games and his set shot kicking improved immensely! I'd say his kicking inside 50 is the thing he'd want to tidy up the most. Each season he just grows and grows so maybe in a few years time his knock will be "had 3 games where he got less than 40 and 4"
Tabs: 100% agree. I'd love for Tabs to kick a 6+ just to give himself the belief he truly runs our forward line. Has been a consistent improver every year so should get our wish. Just promise a punnet of blueberries for every 5+ game and he'll win the coleman!
Schultz: His close down speed would be close to elite. I think another pre-season into Henry and fingers crossed for Switta's body to hold up will allow Schultz to use this without needing a 50+mtr sprint to close the space/apply pressure.
Valente: Genuinely pissed myself laughing at this one :laughing:10/10

thewiz0033

Senior List
Feb 18, 2016
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Couth Fremantle
Trying to reconcile the OP comment. “Let’s not bag our players” but at the same time Walters needs to be taking acting lessons in the off season.
The words bloody hypocrite are jumping to mind

Sturty2Hurty

Team Captain
Jul 24, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Trying to reconcile the OP comment. “Let’s not bag our players” but at the same time Walters needs to be taking acting lessons in the off season.
The words bloody hypocrite are jumping to mind

True yeah that's fair enough. I will amend the original post. At the time after writing the original post I was worried that the thread might devolve that way and threw that comment in there. Cheers

Back