Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
What time would training be on Monday?

will definitely go down to have a look at the new recruits.

Aug 23, 2017
Grounded
AFL Club
Fremantle
4th year in and you can bet the club need to see some return on investment, we're getting into Viv Michie territory now.

The positive in recent reports is that he exists and has been sighted at the ARC, so that's promising.

How many years does Valente have on his current contract? You'd have to assume he's either a regular in the 22 in 2022 or he's on the chopping block.

Can you cut the guy some slack, before you start bagging him.

He’s had some injury history, but has the talent and skills to be just the type of player we need in the middle of the ground.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle

He’s had some injury history, but has the talent and skills to be just the type of player we need in the middle of the ground.
Hamling, Sturt, Valente are all practically recruits for us next season in many ways. Add them to the draftees and thats a lot of potential talent to add to our list for 2021.
Before he went on personal leave Valente had played a string of very good wafl games where he spent time at half forward and was impacting the scoreboard. If he can add some fitness and have a full preseason I think he is still potentially a very good afl player.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Unfortunately it's Luke "potentially an AFL player" Valente at this stage. He's been an average WAFL player to this point after 3 years on our list so there needs to be big improvement this coming season to be considered an AFL player. I hope he can lift to the required level.

Last edited:

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Unfortunately it's Luke "potentially an AFL player" Valente at this stage. He's been an average WAFL player to this point after 3 years on our list so there needs to be big improvement this year to be considered an AFL player. I hope he can lift to the required level.
I agree he needs to improve a lot to stay on the list. From memory he hasn't been able to complete a full preseason yet so hopefully he can do that this off season and build his fitness significantly.

I'm interested in your thoughts on our drafting as I know you follow the draft closely.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
I agree he needs to improve a lot to stay on the list. From memory he hasn't been able to complete a full preseason yet so hopefully he can do that this off season and build his fitness significantly.

I'm interested in your thoughts on our drafting as I know you follow the draft closely.

I'm very happy with our drafting. Certainly can't possibly be critical with our first 3 picks. And Benning could be a very good get if he realises the potential.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Unfortunately it's Luke "potentially an AFL player" Valente at this stage. He's been an average WAFL player to this point after 3 years on our list so there needs to be big improvement this year to be considered an AFL player. I hope he can lift to the required level.
Bringing in Brodie, Johnson and Erasmus would suggest that the club will be less patient with inside mids due to depth and unbalanced list.

Sure, he is well liked, professional and has leadership skills but he needs to play awesome WAFL footy and then play a few games.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bringing in Brodie, Johnson and Erasmus would suggest that the club will be less patient with inside mids due to depth and unbalanced list.

Sure, he is well liked, professional and has leadership skills but he needs to play awesome WAFL footy and then play a few games.

Yep, he's been given every possible chance to make it and season 2022 will be his last chance. It's not going to be easy but he's got the headstart on the newbies so if he's good enough, he'll be ok. If not he's gone.

heavho

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
fremantle
new kids on the block

Attachments

• 9E51E4CC-D82E-4428-BC1F-F34FE581665A.jpeg
    9E51E4CC-D82E-4428-BC1F-F34FE581665A.jpeg
    264.6 KB · Views: 291
Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

No.

Because that wasn't bagging him. My post couldn't be any more pragmatic if I tried.

If you want to know what bagging someone looks like, go read the melt thread from the start.

Last edited:

freoextra

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Beautiful day to have a look at training.

About 26 training today (not counting the newbies). The new guys, as per usual, were not required to do anything but watch the main group and do some handball and kick to kick for the camera. Amiss, Benning and Johnson all looked very similar in size with Erasmus only marginally smaller.

some observations:

Nice to see Valente training for the full session with the main group with no hint of any injury.
Will Brodie was very clean for a big bodied mid with good kicking skills (way ahead of Clark and Acres).
Train the house down award went to Son Son who was running beautifully and had his full array of kicking skills of full display, looks fit very fit and was the leader and the voice out on the field.
lots of running (200m runs) and then kicking goals under duress.
The best runners were in a group and included Switta, Brayshaw , Serong, Fredericks and Valente. Fredericks is fully fit no signs of limping and running powerfully.
Lots of goal kicking at the end of the session with Chapman doing the most on his goal kicking technique.

Negatives
Sturt in rehab (only two players - could not make out the other), he ran powerfully but did not join the main group.
No Hayden Young - I am told from the watchers that he has not been spotted for a couple of sessions (believed injured but unknown what)

Tbonefreo

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2013
Wagga
AFL Club
Fremantle
Beautiful day to have a look at training.

About 26 training today (not counting the newbies). The new guys, as per usual, were not required to do anything but watch the main group and do some handball and kick to kick for the camera. Amiss, Benning and Johnson all looked very similar in size with Erasmus only marginally smaller.

some observations:

Nice to see Valente training for the full session with the main group with no hint of any injury.
Will Brodie was very clean for a big bodied mid with good kicking skills (way ahead of Clark and Acres).
Train the house down award went to Son Son who was running beautifully and had his full array of kicking skills of full display, looks fit very fit and was the leader and the voice out on the field.
lots of running (200m runs) and then kicking goals under duress.
The best runners were in a group and included Switta, Brayshaw , Serong, Fredericks and Valente. Fredericks is fully fit no signs of limping and running powerfully.
Lots of goal kicking at the end of the session with Chapman doing the most on his goal kicking technique.

Negatives
Sturt in rehab (only two players - could not make out the other), he ran powerfully but did not join the main group.
No Hayden Young - I am told from the watchers that he has not been spotted for a couple of sessions (believed injured but unknown what)
Young was doing mma training with the boys recently?

Thanks for the write up by the way. Training reports are like vanilla slice around here

Back