Training 2022 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

If he plays well, awesome. If he doesn't, we got MJ out of it so win-win. I'm a big believer that this sort of attitude develops organically with a club that's moving in the right direction.
Absolutely agree, we basically got him for free and he's still got time to improve as a young player. If he can improve his tank he could become a real weapon, it seems his running capacity is his weakness at the moment. He needs to spend Christmas with the Brayshaws doing their 100 x 100m sprints ;-)

Absolutely agree, we basically got him for free and he's still got time to improve as a young player. If he can improve his tank he could become a real weapon, it seems his running capacity is his weakness at the moment. He needs to spend Christmas with the Brayshaws doing their 100 x 100m sprints ;-)
We trade our future 2nd for Brodie + 19 (and some shuffling of later picks of really low value). Most of us would be massively disappointed if our future 2nd ended up being close to pick 19, so at worst I see that pick swap as a win for both clubs, GCSs needing future picks.

The Brodie trade is salary space for them. I understand we have extended his contract (hopefully only to 2 years) and spread that existing salary. Maybe 2 years x 350k?

Such a great deal even for depth. But he may be more than depth.

I think the club is just taking the piss now.

View attachment 1312496

Has anyone ever seen Aish and Valente in the same room at the same time? Maybe Valente has been masquerading as Aish this entire time! You can’t fool me, FFC.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
I think he has three years, it's as three on my spreadsheet but it's possible that was after interviews with Bell or Brodie and not an article.
Surely we haven’t handed Brodie a three year deal?? I could have sworn it was 2 at the time of the trade.
It would be pretty dumb list management to give a Player from Gold Coast reserve team a 3 year contract.

Surely we haven’t handed Brodie a three year deal?? I could have sworn it was 2 at the time of the trade.
It would be pretty dumb list management to give a Player from Gold Coast reserve team a 3 year contract.

At the Gold Coast, Brodie was contracted til the end of 2022. On approx $400k per year.

The trade involved various previously spoken about picks.

But the only other comments are “The deal will also see the Dockers absorb the midfielder's 2022 contract.”

So I assume it’s a perform and/or renegotiate going forward.

At the Gold Coast, Brodie was contracted til the end of 2022. On approx $400k per year.

The trade involved various previously spoken about picks.

But the only other comments are “The deal will also see the Dockers absorb the midfielder's 2022 contract.”

So I assume it’s a perform and/or renegotiate going forward.
That would be great, but I have read that the contract was spread over multiple seasons. Not saying they are correct.

That would be great, but I have read that the contract was spread over multiple seasons. Not saying they are correct.
I thought Brodie was only contracted for 2022. I just did a search and reading the many articles I did seem to support that belief. We had the salary cap space to absorb a large portion of his contract for 2022. That is why we secured the pick 19 deal.

I thought Brodie was only contracted for 2022. I just did a search and reading the many articles I did seem to support that belief. We had the salary cap space to absorb a large portion of his contract for 2022. That is why we secured the pick 19 deal.
From The Age at the time of the trade:
The Dockers have also agreed to pay the cash-strapped Suns up to two thirds of new trade recruit Will Brodie’s reported $600,000 salary in return for a favourable swap of draft picks.

The out-of-favour Brodie’s high salary in the final year of the big-bodied midfielder’s deal came after pay deferrals clubs were forced to implement following recent COVID-affected seasons.

Fremantle will absorb the cost by lengthening the contract for Brodie, who averaged just under 22 disposals during eight games through 2019.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty brutal to be judging the value of Brodie's contract before he plays a game. Thread needs to move on and let him show what he's got on gameday. Just like we get TTHD and BUTT blokes who can never translate that to solid performance on gameday, the opposite also happens a lot.

Pretty brutal to be judging the value of Brodie's contract before he plays a game. Thread needs to move on and let him show what he's got on gameday. Just like we get TTHD and BUTT blokes who can never translate that to solid performance on gameday, the opposite also happens a lot.
Discussing the Club's trading is pretty legitimate given some of the misfires we have had. Brodie is now part of that. But he is low cost/high reward.

From The Age at the time of the trade:
The Dockers have also agreed to pay the cash-strapped Suns up to two thirds of new trade recruit Will Brodie’s reported $600,000 salary in return for a favourable swap of draft picks.

The out-of-favour Brodie’s high salary in the final year of the big-bodied midfielder’s deal came after pay deferrals clubs were forced to implement following recent COVID-affected seasons.

Fremantle will absorb the cost by lengthening the contract for Brodie, who averaged just under 22 disposals during eight games through 2019.
Lengthening
  • 2 years; or
  • 2022 with a trigger for 2023; or
  • 2022 lengthened to 2023 with a trigger for 2024.

Lips have been licked!

So Mr Brodie is first up, looked impressive in center bounce routines as did Brayshaw.

But when it came to running… he has a Dane Swan like shuffle. Yes it hurt my eyeballs watching him run laps.

Who impressed, Clark, was Mr everywhere as sweeping and clearance defender, and Liam Henry is very fit, and clearly wants that vacant wing spot.

Lobb looked good in the ruck routines, and is clearly more accurate with his taps compared to Meek, but gee he gets the yips sometimes taking set shots at goal.

The boys got worked pretty hard today in the Heat.

The early Clark reports are very encouraging.

I'm not sure how it actually plays out but if he fulfils his obvious potential and Young continues on his development trajectory, that's a couple of real weapons off half back.

Watching and actually enjoying our games will be like chalk and cheese when comparing them to a few years ago.

So Mr Brodie is first up, looked impressive in center bounce routines as did Brayshaw.

But when it came to running… he has a Dane Swan like shuffle. Yes it hurt my eyeballs watching him run laps.

Who impressed, Clark, was Mr everywhere as sweeping and clearance defender, and Liam Henry is very fit, and clearly wants that vacant wing spot.

Lobb looked good in the ruck routines, and is clearly more accurate with his taps compared to Meek, but gee he gets the yips sometimes taking set shots at goal.

The boys got worked pretty hard today in the Heat.
I'll take a Swannie light for Brodie at this stage 👍

I’m optimistic about Brodie but then I was too about Blakely based on ability to win hard inside ball & release quickly under pressure by hand to advantage. Some of Blakely’s draft highlights reminded me of Haselby.
As has proved so far though he is a bit deer in the headlights & often makes poor decisions as a result.
I don’t doubt Brodie will provide a big, strong body who can get his hands on it at the coal face but only time will tell if he can create meaningful play with his release. Early reports aren’t good about his kicking but his highlights show a remarkable ability to free his arms & find a target by hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m optimistic about Brodie but then I was too about Blakely based on ability to win hard inside ball & release quickly under pressure by hand to advantage. Some of Blakely’s draft highlights reminded me of Haselby.
As has proved so far though he is a bit deer in the headlights & often makes poor decisions as a result.
I don’t doubt Brodie will provide a big, strong body who can get his hands on it at the coal face but only time will tell if he can create meaningful play with his release. Early reports aren’t good about his kicking but his highlights show a remarkable ability to free his arms & find a target by hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From the limited footage I’ve seen Brodie seems to have good vision and spacial awareness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back