Resource 2022 AFLW Draft Order

AFLW Resource

Remove this Banner Ad

The new clubs will still each have a pick at the end of the first round. That's how it worked for the first two expansion phases, no indication from the AFL (at least not yet) that it'll be any different this time.

The new clubs will still each have a pick at the end of the first round. That's how it worked for the first two expansion phases, no indication from the AFL (at least not yet) that it'll be any different this time.
The AFL are awful at communicating this sort of stuff at the best of times, I guess AFLW draft orders are even less transparent than those in the AFL?

I’ve followed what was in the articles that have been posted, I guess if it’s different this time it would be because they’re adding 4 sides at once instead of 2, and they’re expanding to a much bigger league as well so another four picks against the existing teams would be a worse penalty than two.

In any case I’m not near a computer at 10.30 on a Friday night, so it’ll have to wait until later. Would have been nice to know in January but what can you do 🤷‍♀️

The AFL are awful at communicating this sort of stuff at the best of times, I guess AFLW draft orders are even less transparent than those in the AFL?

I’ve followed what was in the articles that have been posted, I guess if it’s different this time it would be because they’re adding 4 sides at once instead of 2, and they’re expanding to a much bigger league as well so another four picks against the existing teams would be a worse penalty than two.
4 teams were added in the last expansion phase as well.

In some ways there is a lack of transparency, but it seems to be pretty clear in this case:
If they weren't getting a pick at the end of the first round, it wouldn't say "each" round, it'd say something like "from the 2nd round onwards".

Qualifying Finals, 2022
Qualifying Finals, 2022

Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 11.59.37.png

Preliminary Finals, 2022
Preliminary Finals, 2022

Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 10.47.54.png

Since the higher seeded teams won their games, the draft order stays the same as it was after elimination finals.

Still waiting for clarity about the expansion team's picks, and any priority picks, but otherwise we're pretty close to a final draft order for the sign & trade period. :D

Grand Final, 2022

Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 13.03.40.png

Draft order is now settled ahead of the sign & trade period, pending confirmation of the exact order of expansion picks, and any as yet unannounced priority/compensation picks.

Looks like depending on expansion signings some of the existing 14 clubs could lose their first round pick if they keep too many of their players.

It’s a complicated points/numbers system but basically points are determined based on age, salary tier, experience and accolades, and if you don’t lose at least 28 points worth of players to expansion then you lose your first round pick.

Then the numbers side of things is that the top 7 existing clubs can lose a maximum of 4 players each (8 in SA/NSW) to expansion, while the bottom 7 sides can lose up to 3 players (6 in SA/NSW).

The top 7 are Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane, Fremantle, North, Collingwood and the Bulldogs.

Taylor Jeremias PMBangers you might be interested in this 😝

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Looks like depending on expansion signings some of the existing 14 clubs could lose their first round pick if they keep too many of their players.

It’s a complicated points/numbers system but basically points are determined based on age, salary tier, experience and accolades, and if you don’t lose at least 28 points worth of players to expansion then you lose your first round pick.

Then the numbers side of things is that the top 7 existing clubs can lose a maximum of 4 players each (8 in SA/NSW) to expansion, while the bottom 7 sides can lose up to 3 players (6 in SA/NSW).

The top 7 are Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane, Fremantle, North, Collingwood and the Bulldogs.

Taylor Jeremias PMBangers you might be interested in this 😝
Yeah heard some things about this being a possibility earlier in the year, bit of a strange way to go about it imo but I guess anything is better than the first wave of expansion. Will be interesting to see how clubs approach this, clubs may be willing to let some of their older stars go in the pursuit of some of those top prospects like Ham, Roberts, Ewings, etc.

Odd that there's no mention of how the expansion clubs picks will work, a few of the NAB League girls we've managed to speak to through the year seemed to think they'd just get the first 8 picks but surely that's conditional too?

Odd that there's no mention of how the expansion clubs picks will work, a few of the NAB League girls we've managed to speak to through the year seemed to think they'd just get the first 8 picks but surely that's conditional too?
The way it's written up there should be the first eight picks and then another pick each at the end of each round, but we'll find out for sure in about a week.

The draft order is due to be updated on the 30th, after the expansion signing period, and the AFLW draft order seems to be quite compromised most years with the AFL adding priority picks and forfeiting others, so it should be expected.

Added some columns for ins and outs, mostly just out of curiosity with the numbers of each

Great work, Lore. You're gonna have your hands full keeping up with all this haha
Feel free to jump in anywhere 😂😅😅😝 There’s more reported moves that don’t have threads ;)

Be nice if they didn’t dump 28 player signings all at once tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
The way it's written up there should be the first eight picks and then another pick each at the end of each round, but we'll find out for sure in about a week.
They did say:

The final draft order may be affected as a result of the Expansion Signing Period and will be finalised ahead of the 2022 NAB AFLW Draft.
But I feel like the expansion clubs should keep the picks. If anything, I'd say the last round of expansion showed they didn't give the new teams enough. Now, it may be that this year is a stronger draft than 2019 and the new teams are better as a result, but I doubt they're going to be particularly good. If they are it will be on the back of as of yet unannounced signings rather than gun draft picks.

This thread is as good as the men’s league one, but with so little info from the AFL I’m still very confused.

This thread is as good as the men’s league one, but with so little info from the AFL I’m still very confused.
Welcome to the club haha, seems the entire league is crying out for information and decisions and CBAs. :/

Lore.

I'm more than happy to create more welcome threads for confirmed Essendon signings.
There’s four expansion signings for Essendon from today if you want to make the threads 😊

Apologies.

I misread the "expansion signings bit."
I meant you can make the threads on the womens trade board [here] Hah … we already had threads on the Essendon board :/

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
I meant you can make the threads on the womens trade board [here] Hah … we already had threads on the Essendon board :/

The whole thing seems like a mess to me.

I went onto the Essendon board and there wasn't a sub forum for Essendon AFLW players.

The whole thing seems like a mess to me.

I went onto the Essendon board and there wasn't a sub forum for Essendon AFLW players.
You just filter for the AFLW Player prefix:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back