World Cup 2022 Qatar FIFA World Cup FINAL (ARGENTINA CHAMPIONS)

largebus

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Nationals, Pelicans
Golden ball should've gone to Argentina's keeper what a player carried them in quarter final and made huge saves but they gave it to Messi for sentimental reasons as he scored penalties lol. Mbappe is the :goat:
1671413686817.png

unitedhawk

Senior List
Jan 26, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
United, Ajax, Barca, 49ers, SF Giants
Messi is the GOAT, statistically and now he has all the career landmarks, for club and country.

There will always be debate about who the GOAT is and Messi is now absolutely at the heart of the conversation.

I'd be quite happy to nominate Maradona and Messi as joint GOATs but if I had to pick one, I'd go with Diego.

I've already seen articles proclaiming Messi as the undisputed GOAT but that just illustrates how quickly people forget about past greats.

There is one outstanding reason why I'd place Diego above - and only just above - Lionel:
Maradona almost single-handedly led Napoli to two championships in what was the best and most competitive league at the time - Serie A. A significant point to make note of is that Napoli were a mid-table side before Diego joined them. The modern equivalent in the EPL - the best league these days - would be for a player to join, say, West Ham, and lead them to two EPL titles.

Messi, on the other hand, has only ever played for teams that were full of stars and have therefore been dominant in their respective leagues at the time - Barcelona in La Liga and Paris St Germain in Ligue 1.

Youngsters - including young journalists - these days don't seem to realise just how good Maradona was. Perhaps a look back at two of the greatest goals in World Cup history might be helpful:
1986 Quarter-Final against England:
Maradona wonder goal v England Mexico 86 - Víctor Hugo Morales commentary - HD
1986 Semi-Final against Belgium:
Diego Maradona vs Belgium - WC Mexico 1986 #GreatestWorldCupGoals

If this is the best example of the "greatest" sport in the world, well, without being disparaging, this game will be the last soccer match I'll ever watch.
I'm truly thankful that we have AFL as an alternative in Australia.
You know it’s ok to like more than one sport

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
It would be quite remarkable if he played the next World Cup and who from Argentina would dare tell him to retire? If Pepe can be a starting CB at the World Cup at 39, why couldn’t Messi play in the next World Cup?

I am sure he is talking about the next Copa or Paris 24 Olympics (as overage player).

Last thing he wants is to hang on for too long and end up like Ronnie who is damaging his legacy.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
I am sure he is talking about the next Copa or Paris 24 Olympics (as overage player).

Last thing he wants is to hang on for too long and end up like Ronnie who is damaging his legacy.

Messi isn’t a w***er. So he won’t embarrass himself at least.

Tall poppy Syndrome

Senior List
Dec 31, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Mbappe with 4 himself
4 goals for Mbappé in WC Finals must be a record right? Hurst only played the one final, Pele scored 2 and 1 in his 2 finals? Unless someone from the Azzurri scored 2 and 2 in the 34 and 38 finals?

Also I was blown away by Mbappe’s mental toughness today, always knew obviously about his physical powers. But his 3 nerveless penalties and the way you could see from about halfway through the second half he just said right I’m going to impose my will on this contest, and put the team on my back. And it almost won it for them. Warne-like, the sign of a true champion and leader.

Sep 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Al-Nassr FC
There will always be debate about who the GOAT is and Messi is now absolutely at the heart of the conversation.

I'd be quite happy to nominate Maradona and Messi as joint GOATs but if I had to pick one, I'd go with Diego.

I've already seen articles proclaiming Messi as the undisputed GOAT but that just illustrates how quickly people forget about past greats.

There is one outstanding reason why I'd place Diego above - and only just above - Lionel:
Maradona almost single-handedly led Napoli to two championships in what was the best and most competitive league at the time - Serie A. A significant point to make note of is that Napoli were a mid-table side before Diego joined them. The modern equivalent in the EPL - the best league these days - would be for a player to join, say, West Ham, and lead them to two EPL titles.

Messi, on the other hand, has only ever played for teams that were full of stars and have therefore been dominant in their respective leagues at the time - Barcelona in La Liga and Paris St Germain in Ligue 1.

Youngsters - including young journalists - these days don't seem to realise just how good Maradona was. Perhaps a look back at two of the greatest goals in World Cup history might be helpful:
Yep you cannot compare a penalty taker to the legend Maradonna who dribbled a whole team on his own. Different breed

He finally got his WC. Now I think he hangs up the boots unless he wants to go for another Copa America which is in June 2024.

Tall poppy Syndrome

Senior List
Dec 31, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
4 goals for Mbappé in WC Finals must be a record right? Hurst only played the one final, Pele scored 2 and 1 in his 2 finals? Unless someone from the Azzurri scored 2 and 2 in the 34 and 38 finals?

Also I was blown away by Mbappe’s mental toughness today, always knew obviously about his physical powers. But his 3 nerveless penalties and the way you could see from about halfway through the second half he just said right I’m going to impose my will on this contest, and put the team on my back. And it almost won it for them. Warne-like, the sign of a true champion and leader.
Vava (Brazil) with 2 goals in the 58 final and 1 in the 62 final, and Paul Breitner (West Germany) with goals in the 74 and 82 finals are the only other players with goals in 2 WC Finals I think?

Tall poppy Syndrome

Senior List
Dec 31, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Completely agree with this…even if you have cruelly (but correctly) picked my beloved Hammers as a classic example of mid-table mediocrity.

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham, 76ers, Cubs, Bills

_Cerberus_

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2022
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Is anyone able to tell me if goals scored during penalty shoot outs, count towards your world cup and career totals?

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham, 76ers, Cubs, Bills
Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
Yep you cannot compare a penalty taker to the legend Maradonna who dribbled a whole team on his own. Different breed
no one compared penaldo to maradona

Back