World Cup 2022 Qatar FIFA World Cup FINAL (ARGENTINA CHAMPIONS)

Remove this Banner Ad

Spent about five weeks travelling through Argentina six years ago. Stunning country. Very happy for them. Loads of them just earn enough to have a decent life, but with no savings. So it’s far from third world, but they do it pretty tough. Their number one thing is Football. If it wasn’t for that, no one would ever hear from the place. Good on ‘em. They’ll celebrate non stop for a month.

I read history and they were once the australia of the south west. Very rich

v30pk72gxq6a1.jpg

I read history and they were once the australia of the south west. Very rich
Spot on. Argentina had the equal riches of Australia early on - beef, wool, grains feeding the world etc but they never kicked on to diversify or grow their economy. There’s no coal, no gas, no oil, no iron… plus once the money got tight around mid 20th century - corruption, popularism and the military screwed the place.

Les Bleus will be even stronger come 2026. Bring it on.

There will be no Giroud, Benzema, Kante, Griezmann, Lloris. Maybe not Pogba either.

Apart from Lloris there are alteady top class replacements ready to go for all of those who are likely to be superstars in 2026. Mbaple will be at his absolute peak.

Ooh la la.

France were outplayed by Tunisia, England and Argentina in this WC. Also recently beaten by Denmark twice and Croatia. Apart from Mbappe and Griezmann this French team is bog average.

France were outplayed by Tunisia, England and Argentina in this WC. Also recently beaten by Denmark twice and Croatia. Apart from Mbappe and Griezmann this French team is bog average.

France were not outplayed by England. Sent out a b team for the Tunisia game.

Last edited:
They were missing a few decent players. Eg Benzema.

Spot on. Argentina had the equal riches of Australia early on - beef, wool, grains feeding the world etc but they never kicked on to diversify or grow their economy. There’s no coal, no gas, no oil, no iron… plus once the money got tight around mid 20th century - corruption, popularism and the military screwed the place.

Don’t cry for me etc

Yep while Argentina grew as it went on, France got their feet in mud. Injuries etc. still extremely close.

I recon penalties should be 10v10. Let the, earn their $$$$$

And Argentina were outplayed by Saudi Arabia, parts of the Australia game, Croatia

And Argentina were outplayed by Saudi Arabia, parts of the Australia game, Croatia

And France were outplayed by us for part of the game too.. it's almost like games go through patches of momentum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spent about five weeks travelling through Argentina six years ago. Stunning country. Very happy for them. Loads of them just earn enough to have a decent life, but with no savings. So it’s far from third world, but they do it pretty tough. Their number one thing is Football. If it wasn’t for that, no one would ever hear from the place. Good on ‘em. They’ll celebrate non stop for a month.
Nice malbec producing country

There will always be debate about who the GOAT is and Messi is now absolutely at the heart of the conversation.

I'd be quite happy to nominate Maradona and Messi as joint GOATs but if I had to pick one, I'd go with Diego.

I've already seen articles proclaiming Messi as the undisputed GOAT but that just illustrates how quickly people forget about past greats.

There is one outstanding reason why I'd place Diego above - and only just above - Lionel:
Maradona almost single-handedly led Napoli to two championships in what was the best and most competitive league at the time - Serie A. A significant point to make note of is that Napoli were a mid-table side before Diego joined them. The modern equivalent in the EPL - the best league these days - would be for a player to join, say, West Ham, and lead them to two EPL titles.

Messi, on the other hand, has only ever played for teams that were full of stars and have therefore been dominant in their respective leagues at the time - Barcelona in La Liga and Paris St Germain in Ligue 1.

Youngsters - including young journalists - these days don't seem to realise just how good Maradona was. Perhaps a look back at two of the greatest goals in World Cup history might be helpful:
1986 Quarter-Final against England:
Maradona wonder goal v England Mexico 86 - Víctor Hugo Morales commentary - HD
1986 Semi-Final against Belgium:
Diego Maradona vs Belgium - WC Mexico 1986 #GreatestWorldCupGoals
I do not disagree with that but the flip side is Maradona could not make it at Barca or any mega club for that matter.

It is an argument that can never be settled.

I think this World Cup does settle the Messi v Ronaldo debate. Messi already had it but this is the coronation.

I actually prefer the more restrained commentary v your JB "GOING DOWNTOWN" hyperbole

One of the all time great World Cup finals deserved more than a commentator waffling on about whether or not the World Cup was a success with 2 minutes left and the ball bouncing around next to goal.

When mbappe scored that 2nd goal he should’ve been screaming it was that crazy but he just continued in a monotone stating factually that France had scored.

Of course acting like that all game would be s**t, but u have to understand the moments and lift for them

One of the all time great World Cup finals deserved more than a commentator waffling on about whether or not the World Cup was a success with 2 minutes left and the ball bouncing around next to goal.

When mbappe scored that 2nd goal he should’ve been screaming it was that crazy but he just continued in a monotone stating factually that France had scored.

Of course acting like that all game would be s**t, but u have to understand the moments and lift for them
Fair enough

He used to raise it a level

His call Aguerros famous goal to give Man City the title in that crazy ending to the Premier 10 or so years ago was epic

Fair enough

He used to raise it a level

His call Aguerros famous goal to give Man City the title in that crazy ending to the Premier 10 or so years ago was epic

And doesn't that show how bad he is now?

I do not disagree with that but the flip side is Maradona could not make it at Barca or any mega club for that matter.

It is an argument that can never be settled.

I think this World Cup does settle the Messi v Ronaldo debate. Messi already had it but this is the coronation.

Didn't he have a very good season at Barca but had a falling out with club HQ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back