World Cup 2022 Qatar FIFA World Cup General Discussion - On SBS

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if they will close down the premier leagues & championships of Europe for 6 weeks for 2022.

They will. Start time of the league will likely be earlier August, and end of the leagues around end of May.

Brazilian league has been paused for the past month or two.

I wonder how far down the league structures the postponements will occur? Of course the top leagues will but what about leagues which aren't affected by players leaving? For some of the small clubs, a six week period without an income stream could be a bit of a kick in the nuts

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the whole thing going balls up and watching FIFA try and salvage something from the trainwreck

Fifa seem to have a thing about putting the world cup in really homophobic countries. Qatar still has the death penalty for being gay and Fifa have chosen to give it a s**t ton of media attention. Disgusting.
In Qatar it's also illegal to have sex outside of marriage, so basically anyone who isn't married is discriminated against (of course I know the LGBTI+ community would have it worst than us straight unmarried people). Also while alcohol is legal there, being drunk in public or consuming alcohol in public is not.

I hope Qatar gets stripped of it but sadly unless if a war breaks out I can't see it happening. Even if it did England would likely be the replacement host rather than us or the USA as England have the stadia ready for tomorrow and USA are hosting 2026.

They will. Start time of the league will likely be earlier August, and end of the leagues around end of May.

The EPL usually starts in the 2nd week of August and finishes mid-May. The six week break for the WC will mean the 2022-23 season will have to start in mid July 2022 and finish June 2023. So it will also impact the 2021-22 and 2023-24 seasons. They'll have to finish 2021-22 early and they'll have start 2023-24 late.

It's ****ed.

QATAR’S World Cup team used a secret “black operations” propaganda campaign to undermine rival bids in violation of Fifa rules,The Sunday Times has reported.

The Sunday Times claims whistleblower emails show the bid team paid a PR firm as well as former CIA agents to disseminate “fake propaganda” concerning main rivals Australia and the US during their campaign to host the 2022 competition.

Qatar’s strategy was to recruit influential individuals in order to attack bids in their native countries, creating the impression there was “zero support” to host the World Cup among the population, the paper said.

One of the core criteria considered by Fifa, world football’s governing body, is said to be that the bids should have a strong backing from domestic populations.

Bidders are also prohibited from making “any written or oral statement of any kind, whether adverse or otherwise, about the bids or candidatures of any other member association” under Fifa guidelines.

From herald sun
Totally shocked to be reading this

What happens to the 2023 Asian Cup? It is scheduled to be held in January 2023, 2 weeks after the WC finishes.

What an absolute shitshow. It is likely to be held in China and will probably be moved to July 2023 now - smack bang in the middle of typhoon season and humid, hot weather.

What happens to the 2023 Asian Cup? It is scheduled to be held in January 2023, 2 weeks after the WC finishes.

What an absolute shitshow. It is likely to be held in China and will probably be moved to July 2023 now - smack bang in the middle of typhoon season and humid, hot weather.
Didn't China only host it back in 2004? South Korea is another bidder and it's 35+ in Seoul all week...

The state of Qatar secretly offered $400m to Fifa just 21 days before they were awarded the 2022 World Cup, leaked files appear to show.
The documents, seen by The Sunday Times, reportedly reveal that executives from the Qatari state-run broadcaster Al Jazeera - that was owned and controlled by Qatar’s emir, Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani - signed a television contract making the huge offer.
The contract is said to have also included an unprecedented success fee of $100m that would be paid to Fifa only if Qatar was successful in the 2010 World Cup ballot.
The documents allegedly read: “In the event that the 2022 competition is awarded to the state of Qatar, Al Jazeera shall, in addition to the . . . rights fee, pay to Fifa into the designated account the monetary amount of $100m.”
Fifa is set to reportedly receive a multimillion-pound payment, which includes a portion of the $100m success fee, next month under the contract’s terms.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/03/10/qatar-allegedly-offered-880m-secret-payment-fifa/

The state of Qatar secretly offered $400m to Fifa just 21 days before they were awarded the 2022 World Cup, leaked files appear to show.
The documents, seen by The Sunday Times, reportedly reveal that executives from the Qatari state-run broadcaster Al Jazeera - that was owned and controlled by Qatar’s emir, Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani - signed a television contract making the huge offer.
The contract is said to have also included an unprecedented success fee of $100m that would be paid to Fifa only if Qatar was successful in the 2010 World Cup ballot.
The documents allegedly read: “In the event that the 2022 competition is awarded to the state of Qatar, Al Jazeera shall, in addition to the . . . rights fee, pay to Fifa into the designated account the monetary amount of $100m.”
Fifa is set to reportedly receive a multimillion-pound payment, which includes a portion of the $100m success fee, next month under the contract’s terms.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/03/10/qatar-allegedly-offered-880m-secret-payment-fifa/

It's the way things are done in the Middle East. If you want something just keep paying more until you get it. Corruption is the norm. Qatar 2022, PSG & City all have the stench of ME corruption.

It's the way things are done in the Middle East. If you want something just keep paying more until you get it. Corruption is the norm. Qatar 2022, PSG & City all have the stench of ME corruption.
I wonder if there is any topic you couldn't turn into.a criticism of City.

LOL, you got it bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good bye World Cup hopes for Greece. :(

Thank you and fu** off. Some of these matches are going to be good for betting, though. England vs Andorra and England vs San Marino in particular.
I remember San Marino in the FIFA 06 World Cup game on PS2 were absolutely horrible. Ranked dead last.

Last edited:

It's a small start, but this could honestly be a good thing for the LGBT community in Qatar and other traditionally conservative Middle Eastern Countries.

Yes I know they were pressured by FIFA, but opening up the possibility of gay culture and people at the Qatar World Cup, especially towards younger people and future generations, can only be a good thing surely?

And vice versa, exposure to Arabic/Islamic culture to Westeners who are unfamiliar and or scared or bigoted against it, and may change their mind after the 2022 WC, can be a positive.

Even if done for the wrong and corrupt reasons (and not condoning the shameful and disgusting treatment of Migrant Workers there building their stadiums), the World Cup in Qatar does have an opportunity to build bridges and create more understanding between the Western and Islamic parts of the world.

Even if awarded for the wrong reasons, I think having the World Cup in Qatar just seems the right time, both for political and sociological and tolerance reasons

It's a small start, but this could honestly be a good thing for the LGBT community in Qatar and other traditionally conservative Middle Eastern Countries.

Yes I know they were pressured by FIFA, but opening up the possibility of gay culture and people at the Qatar World Cup, especially towards younger people and future generations, can only be a good thing surely?

And vice versa, exposure to Arabic/Islamic culture to Westeners who are unfamiliar and or scared or bigoted against it, and may change their mind after the 2022 WC, can be a positive.

Even if done for the wrong and corrupt reasons (and not condoning the shameful and disgusting treatment of Migrant Workers there building their stadiums), the World Cup in Qatar does have an opportunity to build bridges and create more understanding between the Western and Islamic parts of the world.

Even if awarded for the wrong reasons, I think having the World Cup in Qatar just seems the right time, both for political and sociological and tolerance reasons

Wouldn't awarding the World Cup to a country that doesn't have a homophobic culture send a better message?

The awarding of the tournament to Qatar can only be explained by massive corruption within FIFA. That has to be the main issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back