World Cup 2022 Qatar FIFA World Cup General Discussion - On SBS

Remove this Banner Ad

Such a terrible take. The goals conceded were nothing to do with anyone playing up front. I highly doubt Alvarez would have made a difference in the Netherlands game where they scored the last minute equaliser or the one before that. Same with a lucky deflection from Goodwin's shot or both Saudi goals.

Might as well say "France have only ever played in finals since this baby was born in June 2018, therefore he is the reason they are in the final again"

Alvarez is being touted to be in the team of tournament. I'm not sure. His goal against Poland was handy. Mat Ryan gifted him his next goal. Against Croatia, he tripped over the ball several times before scoring. The 2nd one was a tap in after Leo had done all the work. He has no assists.

Alvarez is being touted to be in the team of tournament. I'm not sure. His goal against Poland was handy. Mat Ryan gifted him his next goal. Against Croatia, he tripped over the ball several times before scoring. The 2nd one was a tap in after Leo had done all the work. He has no assists.
You can see the makings of an excellent player in there no doubt, but yeah lets not go overboard. Be like saying Bruno is the greatest PL midfielder after his first Penalty Season. Now look at the flop

Tough crowd

He still scored irrespective of what you have mentioned.

For me it's been his running and defensive efforts that have impressed me more than his goals (his press has created a few of those goals though).

Not sure about team of the tournament, but he's had a good tournament. And he wouldn't be far off if he does miss out.

Human rights is not a trolling matter I don't know why you think its not a serious issue. Shameful
Live in the real world
If you want to take the moral high ground then give up everything you enjoy because everything can be traced back to exploitation of someone somewhere at sometime

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So now it's all over, what are people's views on this World Cup?

I thought the football was great. There were some high scoring games. There were some big upsets. The simultaneous last games in the groups were exciting to watch live as the changing scores affected the potential outcomes. It was good to see an African team in the semis. The final was very good, featuring the best two players in the world.

Some good young players showed their talents - Gvardiol, Gonçalo Ramos, Bellingham, Saka, Alvarez, Enzo Fernández, Musiala, Pedri, Gavi.

The competition seemed to be well organised. I don't remember much going wrong. There were some empty seats at some games but most had a good attendance and atmosphere. No crowd trouble AFAIK. The trophy ceremony could have been cut by half an hour, and not have Messi's nightie.

The extension to the added time worked well. It reduced the incentive for players to waste time and gave the fans some exciting moments.

Generally the refs did a good job. I wasn't that impressed with VAR. There's 7 of them in the room and they still got things wrong, like the wrong offside against Argentina in their Mexico game and the decision to give a penalty to Argentina against Poland. I didn't like the semi-automated offside system. I think it led to a couple of poor decisions and the graphics were less clear than if we saw still images of the real action.

Penalties is the best solution imo. Such drama.

I really enjoyed the world cup, thought it was an excellent tournament. Loved the increased added time, it should really be the same in league football.

Atmospheres were great, particular Argentina and Morocco. Timezone was brilliant for me.

I’m seeing a few blank posts here and elsewhere
So now it's all over, what are people's views on this World Cup?

I thought the football was great. There were some high scoring games. There were some big upsets. The simultaneous last games in the groups were exciting to watch live as the changing scores affected the potential outcomes. It was good to see an African team in the semis. The final was very good, featuring the best two players in the world.

Some good young players showed their talents - Gvardiol, Gonçalo Ramos, Bellingham, Saka, Alvarez, Enzo Fernández, Musiala, Pedri, Gavi.

The competition seemed to be well organised. I don't remember much going wrong. There were some empty seats at some games but most had a good attendance and atmosphere. No crowd trouble AFAIK. The trophy ceremony could have been cut by half an hour, and not have Messi's nightie.

The extension to the added time worked well. It reduced the incentive for players to waste time and gave the fans some exciting moments.

Generally the refs did a good job. I wasn't that impressed with VAR. There's 7 of them in the room and they still got things wrong, like the wrong offside against Argentina in their Mexico game and the decision to give a penalty to Argentina against Poland. I didn't like the semi-automated offside system. I think it led to a couple of poor decisions and the graphics were less clear than if we saw still images of the real action.
Yeah loved the time added on ..still hard to believe how many epl games only have 4-5 mins considering all the stoppages. Not sure if broadcasters would like increased stoppage time.

Fairly well reffed..number of total fouls continued to fall as refs let game flow.

Exciting group stage which has led to a rethink by FIFA on having three team groups for next WC ..thank **** for that as min four team groups are a must. 48 teams is way too much though, shame they won’t change that

I’m seeing a few blank posts here and elsewhere

Yeah loved the time added on ..still hard to believe how many epl games only have 4-5 mins considering all the stoppages. Not sure if broadcasters would like increased stoppage time.

Fairly well reffed..number of total fouls continued to fall as refs let game flow.

Exciting group stage which has led to a rethink by FIFA on having three team groups for next WC ..thank **** for that as min four team groups are a must. 48 teams is way too much though, shame they won’t change that

That should be irrelevant as stoppage time is solely down to the discretion of the fourth official and any amount over that up to the on field referee. I believe time wasting tactics will stop if the amount of time wasted plus a little extra is added on as injury time.

If FIFA has a rethink they'll scrap 48 teams altogether as it is too many. The main problem with it is not so much the tournament but the fact that it kind of kills qualifying as a spectacle. You see the likes of Italy miss 2 in a row, the dutch miss 2018. These "shocks" now will be a thing of the past.

Socceroos are handed an absolute cakewalk in Asia now also with 8.5 spots. NZ are guaranteed for eternity to qualify from Oceania as long as that confederation isn't dissolved.

That should be irrelevant as stoppage time is solely down to the discretion of the fourth official and any amount over that up to the on field referee. I believe time wasting tactics will stop if the amount of time wasted plus a little extra is added on as injury time.
Understand that but FIFA must have applied stricter guidelines. Whether euro leagues take up those guidelines I think may be guided in some way by discussions with their broadcasters who may not want to have games go an extra 15-20 mins

Too hard , the soccer season is tight as it is

I don't think the domestic fixtures would need to be changed. If there was a replay tomorrow there would still be a few days before the leagues start again. Premier League restarts on 26th Dec, Ligue 1 on 28th Dec, La Liga 29th Dec, Bundesliga 20th Jan. There's only one or two players from each club that would play in the replay. Half the squads have hardly played in the whole tournament. Clubs would assess the fitness of the returning players in whether or not to pick them. It could be that players who have played several games in this tournament are in better shape than the ones who stayed home.

Understand that but FIFA must have applied stricter guidelines. Whether euro leagues take up those guidelines I think may be guided in some way by discussions with their broadcasters who may not want to have games go an extra 15-20 mins

The broadcaster has zero say on stoppage time. That's solely up to the 4th official. The few times there have been serious injuries that resulted in a major stoppage have always seen big amounts of injury time added in euro leagues.

Here's the official guidelines:

1671495935472.png

I don't think the domestic fixtures would need to be changed. If there was a replay tomorrow there would still be a few days before the leagues start again. Premier League restarts on 26th Dec, Ligue 1 on 28th Dec, La Liga 29th Dec, Bundesliga 20th Jan. There's only one or two players from each club that would play in the replay. Half the squads have hardly played in the whole tournament. Clubs would assess the fitness of the returning players in whether or not to pick them. It could be that players who have played several games in this tournament are in better shape than the ones who stayed home.

FIFPro have done a study on this. IIRC they found that injuries will be increased significantly by lack of rest period following this mid season tournament. In normal circumstances I don't see why a replay 2 days later couldn't happen (World Cup final is normally 6 weeks before the start of the season).

But under the current circumstances it would pretty much be impossible. Players would be returning near to Christmas without any time to rest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back