World Cup 2022 Qatar FIFA World Cup General Discussion - On SBS

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
QATAR could be stripped of hosting the 2022 World Cup, with England in contention to host it, according to a Saudi sports chief.

The USA will also be considered as another venue, report German news Online Focus who cite sports minister Turki Al-Sheikh.

FIFA has been facing calls to take the prestigious tournament away from Qatar after the explosive report into vote-buying by the Gulf state was made public.

The world’s football governing body published its report of the bidding battles for the 2018 and 2022 tournaments in full after German newspaper Bild announced it was going to print leaks from it.

It revealed a secret payment of $2.6 million was made to the ten-year-old daughter of Brazilian FIFA bigwig Ricardo Teixeira, while three senior figures were flown to a meeting in Rio in a Qatari-owned jet.

Political conflict in the country is also causing concern for football chiefs.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/footba...p/news-story/7ecbee86f77e5b4e3c811d2746fa77f0

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
What's the latest in the Qatar v UAE / Saudi / Oman / Bahrain / Kuwait shitfight? That's got to be a concern hosting the tournament.

Still ongoing although if this is coming from Saudi news then I'd take it with a pinch of salt until more credible sources say something similar. Probably just s**t stirring Qatar.

carnthemlions

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers, Hertha Berlin
What's the latest in the Qatar v UAE / Saudi / Oman / Bahrain / Kuwait shitfight? That's got to be a concern hosting the tournament.
At the moment it's everyone (minus Oman) vs Qatar. Obviously the Saudis and the Emiratis make Qatar look poor, but they've left it a bit late if they want the world cup taken away.
Need to happen and we need the World Cup. 1966 is far too long to go without the WC when England gave the game to the world and the hooligan thing is long gone. **** those oil states the corrupt bastards
Yeah obviously other countries never pull this s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shoei

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Would England want to even host the WC in the current climate?

Brexit has pushed Xenophobia wielding far right groups back in to the mainstream. A WC would give the groups a platform to lash out under the traditional "football" hooligan banner. Mix it with millions of tourist, packed football stadiums, public venues and the very real threats of terrorist attacks i wouldn't be surprised if the Government said "Yeah, nah. We'll give it a miss this time".

Oct 6, 2017
All over the place
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool Boston Celtics Victory
So let me get this straight. A corrupt regime comes up with a report detailing corruption in the bidding process. This regime is now rumoured to be considering stripping Qatar of hosting as a result of the German equivalent of The Sun announcing they intend to print leaks from that report? Please!!

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Would England want to even host the WC in the current climate?

Brexit has pushed Xenophobia wielding far right groups back in to the mainstream. A WC would give the groups a platform to lash out under the traditional "football" hooligan banner. Mix it with millions of tourist, packed football stadiums, public venues and the very real threats of terrorist attacks i wouldn't be surprised if the Government said "Yeah, nah. We'll give it a miss this time".
Wow are you being serious with this post?

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
I feel like there is at least one of these stories every few months. On paper there is more than enough to strip the World Cup from Qatar if you consider corruption and humans rights violations.

I hope they do remove it from Qatar, but i'm doubtful they will. Would be nice to travel to a World Cup one day
They won't be stripped of it, it is a major waste of money and resources already spent on stadiums. By the way, does anybody know what happens after the tournament to the stadiums, turned into housing or ice skating rings??

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
The UK can't afford such frivolous spending after Brexit but I can see why England supporters want it to happen. Home advantage and a lot of stars aligning are the only way they'll win the World Cup again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back