World Cup 2022 Qatar FIFA World Cup General Discussion - On SBS

Remove this Banner Ad

Qatar do not support extremist groups. Again, I would take what Saudi Arabia say about Qatar with the smallest grain of salt imaginable.

Not so sure about that. Links to Hamas are pretty clear. Finance for fighting in the likes of Afghanistan and Syria has been traced back to rich individuals in Qatar. My sister in laws father was a consulting engineer there until last year when it became not worth the money. Said corruption was rife and to leave his job he had to say he was going on holidays otherwise they take your pssport off you if you want to quit.

I wonder if players will boycott the 2022 World Cup

On one hand its the World Cup, and as a player you only get around 3-4 chances to play in one.
On the other hand, you will be playing in stadiums built by dead slaves during the club season.
A lot of potential squad members will only be 18-20 years old now. They've got big dreams to play at a WC. If anyone boycotts it'll be seasoned blokes who've been to the big time

Not so sure about that. Links to Hamas are pretty clear. Finance for fighting in the likes of Afghanistan and Syria has been traced back to rich individuals in Qatar. My sister in laws father was a consulting engineer there until last year when it became not worth the money. Said corruption was rife and to leave his job he had to say he was going on holidays otherwise they take your pssport off you if you want to quit.

The part about your brother I acknowledge to be true because the Kafala system over there is shockingly s**t (there's a good doco on YT about it). However, every Middle Eastern country with money would be backing Hamas and other terrorist organisations like Al-Qaeda and the Taliban. Saudi Arabia certainly have been busted multiple times doing it (US government officials say they sponsored 9/11) and places like the UAE and Bahrain would probably sponsor them too. I misspoke when saying that Qatar don't sponsor extremist groups, I should've said that they do it in a minuscule amount compared to their neighbors.

But again, I wouldn't believe what Saudi Arabia say about Qatar.

The foreign minister said Australia may consider holding the Socceroos back from the upcoming World Cup, as part of further sanctions: In relation to sanctions, Australia already has a range of autonomous sanctions against Russia, in particular those that were imposed in the aftermath of the illegal annexation of Crimea, and those sanctions have been reviewed and updated over time, so we have sanctions against a number of individuals and a number of Russian entities. The impact of sanctions, of course, is strongest when it is done collectively, and so we will continue to liaise with the [UK] Foreign Office and other allies and partners on this issue as to whether further action will be taken in response to the deployment of a chemical nerve agent in Salisbury. There are a whole range of further options of action that could be taken. The boycott of the World Cup is one of the further actions that could be taken in relation to this matter.

If anything they'll just do what the poms did and no govt officials will attend

A boycott would be pointless if it just involved say England and Australia. Russia wouldn’t GaF and the integrity of the competition would by and large remain. If you could get five or six other countries including the likes of Spain, Germany and France then it would hurt the Russians. To be honest I’d be pro a boycott like that - we’ll have to see how things escalate in the interim but I doubt it will happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Russia should never have been given a World Cup in the first place. Can see there being significant problems out there (especially for us and I don’t mean just on the pitch). The s**t will then really hit the fan. FIFA delegates who awarded them the comp should be held accountable. International football has become such a mess under FIFA

Nope I'm Aussie.
But I don't bury my head in the sand and think everything we do is great and everything everyone else does is bad.
Ha ha and you think I do. Being self-critical is ok, but believing the Russians over the West is quite another. If Russians went out and started asking questions about their governments role in the Salisbury affair what do you coextensive would happen?

Who was at fault for Iraq?
You’ll never win an argument on integrity and honesty when you are fighting Russia’s corner. Pointing out the West hasn’t always been whiter than white before doesn’t make your point any more valid. For all our faults, one thing for sure is we aren’t being run under some kind of dictatorship

Russia may be corrupt and have many a problem, but so do many of the other countries to host world cups. South Africa & Brazil, the two most recent hosts, have many a problem. Mexico hosted two world cups in '70 & '86.

Russia has football history and a passionate following of the sport. I don't mind them hosting a world cup. Every country has racist football hooligans, that's not something exclusive to Russia.

Qatar on the other hand, is just a huge middle finger to all the other teams that bid for 2022. No football history, barely any following for the sport, majority of players are expats, team is trash. Not to mention the modern day slavery used to build the stadiums, which will become ghost stadiums no doubt once the WC is over (much like Athens 2004).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back