World Cup 2022 Qatar FIFA World Cup General Discussion - On SBS

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
FIFPro have done a study on this. IIRC they found that injuries will be increased significantly by lack of rest period following this mid season tournament. In normal circumstances I don't see why a replay 2 days later couldn't happen (World Cup final is normally 6 weeks before the start of the season).

But under the current circumstances it would pretty much be impossible. Players would be returning near to Christmas without any time to rest.

Yeah, this WC is a one off with its circumstances. In normal scheduling a replay would just mean a few players go on their holidays a few days later than planned. It should be part of the discussions around WC 2026.

What is the source for the FIFPro study? Like I said, half the two squads involved in a replay would have hardly played the whole tournament. Clubs are already managing the fitness regimes of squads of players in busy schedules without a mid-season rest period.

The broadcaster has zero say on stoppage time. That's solely up to the 4th official. The few times there have been serious injuries that resulted in a major stoppage have always seen big amounts of injury time added in euro leagues.

Here's the official guidelines:

View attachment 1575895
Maybe I’m not making myself clear or I’m just not understanding properly, but currently FIFA’s guidelines on injury time for WC seem to be stricter than FA? Agree? If so then for the FA to change it to match FIFA they may first consult broadcasters if they think the average time of matches may increase significantly.

Sep 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Al-Nassr FC
So now it's all over, what are people's views on this World Cup?

I thought the football was great. There were some high scoring games. There were some big upsets. The simultaneous last games in the groups were exciting to watch live as the changing scores affected the potential outcomes. It was good to see an African team in the semis. The final was very good, featuring the best two players in the world.

Some good young players showed their talents - Gvardiol, Gonçalo Ramos, Bellingham, Saka, Alvarez, Enzo Fernández, Musiala, Pedri, Gavi.

The competition seemed to be well organised. I don't remember much going wrong. There were some empty seats at some games but most had a good attendance and atmosphere. No crowd trouble AFAIK. The trophy ceremony could have been cut by half an hour, and not have Messi's nightie.

The extension to the added time worked well. It reduced the incentive for players to waste time and gave the fans some exciting moments.

Generally the refs did a good job. I wasn't that impressed with VAR. There's 7 of them in the room and they still got things wrong, like the wrong offside against Argentina in their Mexico game and the decision to give a penalty to Argentina against Poland. I didn't like the semi-automated offside system. I think it led to a couple of poor decisions and the graphics were less clear than if we saw still images of the real action.
Great football marred by corruption with Messi joining the state sponsored club to get his country the easiest run of all time and the help of a penalty every game. We prob saw the best player ever in Mbappe performing and scoring the best WC goal since Carlos Alberto.

The VAR and bonus extra time was highlights of the tournament. But obviously the dark side was the human rights abuse, Martin Tyler, Messi corruption, and FIFA corruption.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Maybe I’m not making myself clear or I’m just not understanding properly, but currently FIFA’s guidelines on injury time for WC seem to be stricter than FA? Agree? If so then for the FA to change it to match FIFA they may first consult broadcasters if they think the average time of matches may increase significantly.

Why would they consult the broadcaster? If a player breaks his leg and there's a 10 minute stoppage in a PL game it gets added as stoppage time. FIFA have simply instructed 4th officials to be stricter on time wasting by adding it on. Still, the decision on injury time minimums is 100% down to the fourth official no matter what the guidelines are.

Commando

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man Utd, AC Milan, Wolfsburg,
Great football marred by corruption with Messi joining the state sponsored club to get his country the easiest run of all time and the help of a penalty every game. We prob saw the best player ever in Mbappe performing and scoring the best WC goal since Carlos Alberto.

The VAR and bonus extra time was highlights of the tournament. But obviously the dark side was the human rights abuse, Martin Tyler, Messi corruption, and FIFA corruption.
Argentina were on the more difficult side of the draw
I had them defeating England in the final on the pre tournament predictor

Anyway a fantastic tournament in every aspect, remember it’s a World Cup and it’s basically now touched every continent except Australia, hopefully one day

Just on the penalty shoot out there is a thought that it should be 10 v 10, every outfield player, then keepers then start again if need be
Tactically it would be interesting

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Heres a new take on penalty shitouts. One player from each side must keep and take all pens.

So basically something like Messi and Mbappe taking every penalty and trying to score passed each other?

With each idea I am reading, the more I am realising that things are best the way they are right now. 😂

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
Screenshot_20221220_171346_Facebook.jpg

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Controversial idea for 2026 WC format.

8 groups of 4 (32) + knockouts = 7 games
--------------------
4 groups of 4 (16) + knockouts = 6 games

The 3 hosts + the previous WC winner get the easier side of the draw by not having to play an extra game.

So you have two tournaments: A 32-16-8-4-2 and B 16-8-4-2. Winner of A plays the Winner of B in the final.

Or the WC winner and the 3 hosts get to play the lowest seed in their group twice. Every team on the 4x4 side of the draw would play 4 games instead of 3, with the final round having rematches.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United

L’Equipe obviously shitting themselves that Graham Arnold will go on to coach England and win every major tournament from here on out. So how does the Australiam football federation not hand Graham a 5 year contract after this?

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
16 groups of 4 to me is the only feasible format for a 48 team comp.

That’s what it will be. Nothing else makes the slightest bit of sense when the final group games are all on at the same time and you can’t do that with 3 team groups.

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That’s what it will be. Nothing else makes the slightest bit of sense when the final group games are all on at the same time and you can’t do that with 3 team groups.
16 groups of 4 is 64 teams, though. And I mean, if they're gonna expand, they might as well go all out, but it'd be what, 120+ games. Yikes.

Controversial idea for 2026 WC format.

8 groups of 4 (32) + knockouts = 7 games
--------------------
4 groups of 4 (16) + knockouts = 6 games

The 3 hosts + the previous WC winner get the easier side of the draw by not having to play an extra game.

So you have two tournaments: A 32-16-8-4-2 and B 16-8-4-2. Winner of A plays the Winner of B in the final.

Or the WC winner and the 3 hosts get to play the lowest seed in their group twice. Every team on the 4x4 side of the draw would play 4 games instead of 3, with the final round having rematches.

Still going? :tearsofjoy: At least you're off your Star Wars ideas.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
16 groups of 4 is 64 teams, though. And I mean, if they're gonna expand, they might as well go all out, but it'd be what, 120+ games. Yikes.

Haha, I think Zidane made a mistake there and I overlooked the mistake. 12 groups of 4 teams is what I think he means.

Back