World Cup 2022 Qatar FIFA World Cup General Discussion - On SBS

Yeah, he did have a short sting for a few games in Brisbane. Peter Beardsley played here in the late 1990’s, I went and watched him with a couple mates.

My post wasn’t an insult to the MLS, which sounds like a very good quality competition. In the 1970’s, not so much.

Yeah I didn't take it to be, just assumed you meant superstars playing in non-traditional football countries which is why I thought of Best.

I think one of Hull's legends also played in Aus which seems pretty crazy lol.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Yeah I didn't take it to be, just assumed you meant superstars playing in non-traditional football countries which is why I thought of Best.

I tried looking it up but couldn’t find anything. I would love to hear who it was, if you can remember.

The most famous case of a legend coming to Australia, well, outside of Alessandro Del Piero. Is Ferenc Puskás coming to coach South Melbourne. What an incredible time that would have been.

I tried looking it up but couldn’t find anything. I would love to hear who it was, if you can remember.

The most famous case of a legend coming to Australia, well, outside of Alessandro Del Piero. Is Ferenc Puskás coming to coach South Melbourne. What an incredible time that would have been.

Yeah struggling to remember now who it was lol, thought it was Wagstaff or Chilton but wasn't one of them but I'm sure there was someone that went out and played in Perth.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg

Danny Allsopp says hi.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Yeah I think perfect world would be like NFL, silver goal first half, then golden goal until a goal is scored.

Golden goal was scrapped because teams went too defensive. Also, for practical purposes, such as security, media and transport, you can't have games going on forever.

I still think a replay would be the best option before considering other ways of finding a winner. It would most likely decide the world title by a proper football game between the two best teams.

Golden goal was scrapped because teams went too defensive. Also, for practical purposes, such as security, media and transport, you can't have games going on forever.

I still think a replay would be the best option before considering other ways of finding a winner. It would most likely decide the world title by a proper football game between the two best teams.

You lost me at 'practical purposes' after proposing that everyone just come back 7 days later and it'd be easy.

I played against him 9 years ago in local league footbsll shortly after he retired professionally.

Yeah you've mentioned before. He also played for Victory more prominently.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
You lost me at 'practical purposes' after proposing that everyone just come back 7 days later and it'd be easy.

A replay followed by potential penalties could be planned in advance and would have a outcome within a certain time frame on the night. Golden goal 'until a goal is scored' could still be going on at 4am.

A replay followed by potential penalties could be planned in advance and would have a outcome within a certain time frame on the night. Golden goal 'until a goal is scored' could still be going on at 4am.

Extra time as a concept is additional, unplanned time. Golden goal time can be similarly planned.

Was wagstaff, player coach in Melbourne

You're right, Wikipedia was deceptive as it didn't have it in his teams played, but yeah thought it was one of those two.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Extra time as a concept is additional, unplanned time. Golden goal time can be similarly planned.

Makes no sense. Extra time is planned additional time with a fixed duration. Same as a replay. Golden goal could go on all night in an unplanned way.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Makes no sense. Extra time is planned additional time with a fixed duration. Same as a replay. Golden goal could go on all night in an unplanned way.
Given France were pressing and Argentina cooked, think Mbappe was primed to be the match winner.
120 minutes of football is gruelling. Golden Goal seems good in theory, it isn’t for the players, the fans and security.
Imagine if the ref gives a controversial free kick/penalty. Just too much room for error, controversy.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins

Romario had a stint playing for Adelaide United back in 2006 was a pretty big deal at the time

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Romario had a stint playing for Adelaide United back in 2006 was a pretty big deal at the time

God that was a circus, watching the futile attempt for the 1000th goal…

People underestimate the presence of in the A-League, cos he was still so friggen good when he came. But despite what he achieved internationally he doesn’t have sexy names on his list of clubs.

Honda was a really big deal too, and we saw a glimpse of it for the first 4-6 weeks that season. But once the first injury hit it was over. Again, people underestimate Asian football, and they underestimate what a big deal it was having these Japanese stars not long after their primes.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Given France were pressing and Argentina cooked, think Mbappe was primed to be the match winner.
120 minutes of football is gruelling. Golden Goal seems good in theory, it isn’t for the players, the fans and security.
Imagine if the ref gives a controversial free kick/penalty. Just too much room for error, controversy.

I would have much preferred to see a France v Argentina replay than the world's ultimate football competition decided by a penalty shoot out.

I wonder what the players think about how to resolve a drawn final. I've been on the wrong end of a penalty shoot out (I scored mine - phew), and the wrong end of a golden goal. Losing to a golden goal was worse. You are in the game then the opposition scores and it's suddenly all over with no chance of a come back. Usually with a missed penalty there's a chance of getting it back. If that doesn't happen you are slightly accustomed to the idea that you might lose.

Finals come at the end of the season so a replay a few days later could be accommodated. A replay would normally produce a result - but if not you could go to silver goal and penalties if required.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I would have much preferred to see a France v Argentina replay than the world's ultimate football competition decided by a penalty shoot out.

I wonder what the players think about how to resolve a drawn final. I've been on the wrong end of a penalty shoot out (I scored mine - phew), and the wrong end of a golden goal. Losing to a golden goal was worse. You are in the game then the opposition scores and it's suddenly all over with no chance of a come back. Usually with a missed penalty there's a chance of getting it back. If that doesn't happen you are slightly accustomed to the idea that you might lose.

Finals come at the end of the season so a replay a few days later could be accommodated. A replay would normally produce a result - but if not you could go to silver goal and penalties if required.

France scored 2 of their 3 goals via penalties (before the shoot out) and not through open play, so your post is a tad redundant (with all due respect)

France had so many injuries/battle torn players I highly doubt they would have won in a replay anyway (in fact quite possible they would have been flogged)

We got the result the world deserved imo, Argentina (despite the Saudi Arabia slip up) were the best team at this tournament and Messi had an extraordinary legacy ensuring tournament. Can't we just celebrate that and leave it at that?

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Seems pretty fine how the sort out games already. No need to fix something thats not broken

Ageeed, in fact though I am of the belief that have 32 teams at the WC is probably too much as it is right, the agenda to expand it to 48 teams and reduce it to 3 instead I'd every 4 years will absolutely reduce a significant part of its magic and legacy.

Back