RossFC

May 23, 2012
Alberton Oval
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Netherlands advance.

Remaining teams via rank. (7 more teams to be removed)

1. Brazil
3. Argentina
4. France
5. England
7. Spain
8. Netherlands
9. Portugal
12. Croatia
15. Switzerland
18. Senegal
22. Morocco
24. Japan
26. Poland
28. South Korea
38. Australia

RossFC

May 23, 2012
Alberton Oval
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Argentina advance.

Remaining teams via rank. (6 more teams to be removed)

1. Brazil
3. Argentina
4. France
5. England
7. Spain
8. Netherlands
9. Portugal
12. Croatia
15. Switzerland
18. Senegal
22. Morocco
24. Japan
26. Poland
28. South Korea

GG.exe

Kylo was here
Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pipe-dreaming, but something like Morocco-Japan, Senegal-Spain, for me. Tho I'd have no complaints the usual suspects like Brazil-France etc

ams4crows

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
Would love to see the Netherlands win the Cup they've made the final 4 times.

They've been flying under the radar so far, got handed the easiest group and one of the easier round of 16 opponents so interesting to see them actually be tested against Argentina

RossFC

May 23, 2012
Alberton Oval
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
England advance

Remaining teams via rank. (4 more teams to be removed)

1. Brazil
3. Argentina
4. France
5. England
7. Spain
8. Netherlands
9. Portugal
12. Croatia
15. Switzerland
22. Morocco
24. Japan
28. South Korea

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is the best England team I've seen in my lifetime. Genuine A graders everywhere. It's their best chance to salute for decades. Only problem is they have drawn a tough opponent next who also are elite. I'd say we're looking at either France v Brazil, England V Brazil Argentina v Brazil or Netherlands v Brazil. Can't see Portugal or Spain beating Brazil on that side of the draw. Brazil were in 1st gear the other night wouldn't pay any attention to the Ghana result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FreoRicci

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
About as weak as France can be for England. No Kante, Benzema.
Griezmann isn’t the same player.
Still an incredible team. Giroud up front England can exploit

FreoRicci

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Henderson and Rice is an awful awful midfield to play against France. Cannot have them two with the lack of vision and creativity.

Jatz

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
England are unfortunate to run into them this early.

Think France will get it done.

Magruder

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Henderson and Rice is an awful awful midfield to play against France. Cannot have them two with the lack of vision and creativity.

watch what happens for the rest of the team when they play... releases Jude to play box to box. Team pivots from having a front 4 to 4.5 to also having a more defensive 7. Allow Harry to drop deep to collect with Saka/Rashford/Foden/Sterling etc to break

The flanks is a concern for me, particularly with Walker perhaps underdone, Shaw's inability to track back properly and the hardly mobile quality of Harry Mac.

Still expect the French to win and reasonably comfortably.

peetoo

Club Legend
Nov 10, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It seems to be becoming a war of attrition, so many games in a short period.
In the QF when ability evens up, it may come down to how taxing the previous schedule was

FreoRicci

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
It seems to be becoming a war of attrition, so many games in a short period.
In the QF when ability evens up, it may come down to how taxing the previous schedule was
Both teams have had a fairly easy run. France rested their players. England have scored 12 goals in 3 goals, with a 0-0 draw v USA.

Fabab

Premiership Player
May 2, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
This is the best England team I've seen in my lifetime. Genuine A graders everywhere. It's their best chance to salute for decades. Only problem is they have drawn a tough opponent next who also are elite. I'd say we're looking at either France v Brazil, England V Brazil Argentina v Brazil or Netherlands v Brazil. Can't see Portugal or Spain beating Brazil on that side of the draw. Brazil were in 1st gear the other night wouldn't pay any attention to the Ghana result.
Argentina v Brazil or Netherlands v Brazil impossible final,Portugal and Spain also on other side of the draw so can’t meet until the final.

And_ROOS

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Feel sorry for South Korea, got out of the weakest group but by far the worst team to finish 2nd, and come across Brazil. Brazil I expect will make subs and score probably ends up 6-1 or something, but if Brazil wanted to they could rack up 8 or 9 comfortably.

South Korea really unlucky they didn't get looked after by the draw like how Croatia, Spain and Switzerland have been. They could at least compete against Morocco or Japan.

GG.exe

Kylo was here
Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Why 16 groups of 3 will be a bad idea. Firstly, teams only play 2 group games is very thin. Secondly, a lot of mediocre teams will make it spread out over 16 groups, so the finals will have more thrashings like this.

4 per division or even 5 per division would filter thru only rhe quality teams.

sorted

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham, West Ham
watch what happens for the rest of the team when they play... releases Jude to play box to box. Team pivots from having a front 4 to 4.5 to also having a more defensive 7. Allow Harry to drop deep to collect with Saka/Rashford/Foden/Sterling etc to break

The flanks is a concern for me, particularly with Walker perhaps underdone, Shaw's inability to track back properly and the hardly mobile quality of Harry Mac.

Still expect the French to win and reasonably comfortably.

Mbappe v Walker is a key battle and I'm not convinced Walker is back to full speed. France also have the option to switch Mbappe to the right like PSG sometimes do. That would put him up against Shaw and Maguire. Then again, Dembele is no slouch. He was MoM against Denmark.

England also have a lot of offensive fire power. Kane, Saka, Rashford, Foden are all looking really sharp with Bellingham and Henderson chipping in with goals. We might be looking at a 2-2 draw or 3-2.

Remove this Banner Ad