World Cup 2022 Qatar FIFA World Cup (Quarter Finals) - On SBS

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a rumour - denied by Portugal - that Ronaldo threatened to head home after the Switzerland game. If - if - that's true, it's a pretty big display of petulance, from a player getting more and more petty by the day. It must have stung him, to see Portugal play so well without him, and I get that he would be frustrated, but time catches up to us all. Did Ronaldo imagine he would still be in his prime at 40? He needs to realise that his personal glory does not come before the success of his teams.

The BBC is running a combined England France team thing. This was my effort.

View attachment 1569775

Griezemann in mid no thanks. Should be Tchoumanei / Rice / Bellingham

Saka is also better than Dembele - weird one that.

Pavard eclipses Walker at RB Hernandez just did his knee at LB but is obviously better than Shaw. I'd say even his brother is better than Shaw.

Keeper wise it's pretty even with Lloris past his best but on par with Pickford who is never going to be a top class keeper.

There's a rumour - denied by Portugal - that Ronaldo threatened to head home after the Switzerland game. If - if - that's true, it's a pretty big display of petulance, from a player getting more and more petty by the day. It must have stung him, to see Portugal play so well without him, and I get that he would be frustrated, but time catches up to us all. Did Ronaldo imagine he would still be in his prime at 40? He needs to realise that his personal glory does not come before the success of his teams.

I doubt there's much to this rumor. What could Ronaldo achieve by spitting his dummy and heading home? He knows it is his world cup tournament. Even if he is on the bench he could get an opportunity to come on and save Portugal. Him leaving would effectively end his international career immediately.

He will hang around for the rest of the WC for sure.

Griezemann in mid no thanks. Should be Tchoumanei / Rice / Bellingham

Saka is also better than Dembele - weird one that.

Pavard eclipses Walker at RB Hernandez just did his knee at LB but is obviously better than Shaw. I'd say even his brother is better than Shaw.

Keeper wise it's pretty even with Lloris past his best but on par with Pickford who is never going to be a top class keeper.

Pavard hasn't seen any game time since being subbed off against Australia. Would you really fancy him one on one with Mbappe? At least Walker has the pace.

I was thinking Tchoumanei and Rice are too similar to both play. There's not much between them but I think Rice is having a better tournament.

Griezmann has 42 goals for France (Tchoumanei 1). He takes nearly all their set pieces and in this WC has hit the most crosses of any player. I've been impressed with his work rate when France are not in possession. When they have the ball he'll drop deep to receive and move it on then drift into dangerous attacking positions to put quality balls in for Giroud.

Quick tips: Brazil to beat the team whose strip is adorned with swastikas and Holland to be just too good for Argentina. Van Gaal has the Dutch playing as a team rather than cocky individuals and they are conservative from the half way line and into their back third. Argentina are pluggers in my opinion and in the Netherlands, they are coming up against a superior side than they have played thus far.

It's the World Cup though and anything can and probably will happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brazil to beat Croatia and do it rather comfortably. The Netherlands vs Argentina is a flip of the coin for me. Some Messi brilliance to settle it. France to edge a tense match against England and Portugal to do what Spain couldn't do - score against and beat Morocco.

Would love to see both Croatia and Netherlands win, but sadly feel it will be both of the South American teams celebrating at the final whistle. Hopefully some good matches from a viewer standpoint at least.

I feel like Croatia are just trying to grind Brazil into submission. This hasn’t been particularly watchable for someone battling sleep in the couch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back