World Cup 2022 Qatar FIFA World Cup (Round of 16) - On SBS

Remove this Banner Ad

All Melbourne clubs playing away the week it returns from the world cup.... dumb fixturing in an otherwise solid season.

Yeah strange, wonder why that is. Victory were away against us last game so not even as if it's just the structure of the fixture. Is there something on in Melbourne?

Another reason why football will always face problems in Australia:

On the day when tens of thousands of people were watching a football match live at 5am in the middle of cities, which has never happened for any other sport, the front page in Australia’s sporting capital was - round one AFL fixtures in 4 months time. Plus a bit of cricket and basketball on the side. Obviously planned and timed by the AFL and Herald Sun to steal the Socceroos thunder.

No mention of the World Cup. There are some in the media and other sporting fraternity who would be popping champagne on the Socceroos loss, so they can bury them in public consciousness for another 12 years hopefully.

On the day when tens of thousands of people were watching a football match live at 5am in the middle of cities, which has never happened for any other sport, the front page in Australia’s sporting capital was - round one AFL fixtures in 4 months time. Plus a bit of cricket and basketball on the side.

No mention of the World Cup. There are some in the media and other sporting fraternity who would be popping champagne on the Socceroos loss, so they can bury them in public consciousness for another 12 years hopefully.

Luckily the Herald-Sun caters to an older crowd and aren't taken particularly seriously by most.

Problem I have with A League is first of all as someone else posted it’s on Paramount.

Second I prioritise other leagues above it because I’ve followed those leagues for a long time. I know the teams in them better than I do A League. I’d say there’s a lot of people in that boat.

So finding the time to fit in watching even highlights of all the leagues is difficult plus NFL which I’ve always followed.

Ask for national team …we will never be amongst top teams , not with a pop of 25m and the game isn’t out number 1 sport by a long way. So making last 16 and hopefully one day quarters is probably best we can hope for. As well of course having a competitive team with players from best leagues like we did in 2006.

Problem I have with A League is first of all as someone else posted it’s on Paramount.

Second I prioritise other leagues above it because I’ve followed those leagues for a long time.
I know the teams in them better than I do A League. I’d say there’s a lot of people in that boat.

So finding the time to fit in watching even highlights of all the leagues is difficult plus NFL which I’ve always followed.

Ask for national team …we will never be amongst top teams , not with a pop of 25m and the game isn’t out number 1 sport by a long way. So making last 16 and hopefully one day quarters is probably best we can hope for. As well of course having a competitive team with players from best leagues like we did in 2006.

1) A third of the games are on FTA.

2) That's fine - good news is that they don't play at the same time!

Question though: over winter do you find the time to get along to the AFL while also watching Leeds? If so, then perhaps this second issue isn't as much of an issue as you think it is?

If you have no interest/connection to the A-League, that's fine (although that can always change), but using the excuse of not having the time isn't the greatest of reasons.

On the day when tens of thousands of people were watching a football match live at 5am in the middle of cities, which has never happened for any other sport, the front page in Australia’s sporting capital was - round one AFL fixtures in 4 months time. Plus a bit of cricket and basketball on the side. Obviously planned and timed by the AFL and Herald Sun to steal the Socceroos thunder.

You place too much faith in obsolete media especially how politically biased they are which is driving away readers and only the die hards still use.

As someone who hasn’t watched A-League for a number of years, I have heard about the issues with Paramount+. Why is that? Are the games not in the best quality or something else?

There's been a few issues with the app - I think when that happened they put all the games up on Youtube for free which was great - but the main issue I've found is not being able to pause/rewind. That said, it's pretty cheap, I watch a lot of other content on Paramount anyway, and there's two games on Channel Ten anyway.

Honestly that's a disgrace.

That rag has been anti Football (round ball) for decades . Their campaign against a World Cup in Australia was disgusting .

There's been a few issues with the app - I think when that happened they put all the games up on Youtube for free which was great - but the main issue I've found is not being able to pause/rewind. That said, it's pretty cheap, I watch a lot of other content on Paramount anyway, and there's two games on Channel Ten anyway.

Sounds a bit like SBS on Demand in how it’s designed for the World Cup. They will either have a rewind feature which lets you go back 15 seconds at a time (but you can’t rewind more than a minute I believe - not enough if a goal was scored 3 minutes ago) or for some live games, the rewind feature is removed all together. Pretty limited.

Optus Sport had significant broadcasts issues for the first 1-2 years for the PL. So at least with Paramount+, the issues seem to be much less significant.

I'm overseas, so ymmv.

I use Bingsport for all my football now, as they have everything I need.

Plus shitloads of other sports I don't watch lol

Sounds a bit like SBS on Demand in how it’s designed for the World Cup. They will either have a rewind feature which lets you go back 15 seconds at a time (but you can’t rewind more than a minute I believe - not enough if a goal was scored 3 minutes ago) or for some live games, the rewind feature is removed all together. Pretty limited.

Definitely think the biggest issue is they have no other sport (other than FA Cup) so not many have a motivation to have it, which makes it feel more restricting.

But then Optus only has PL and plenty have that, so I guess it's all about perspective.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the right back position was a bit of a disappointment all tournament. Degenek was good against Denmark as a defensive option, but offers little going forward. Karacic looked like he didn't know where to position himself to defend. I think Arnie missed a trick not calling up Risdon as a solid all round option.

I have to credit him for picking Goodwin, I was a bit surprised to see him start, but in all games his quality came through. Mabil is a massive worry, he needs to come back to the a league to find some form and confidence, that performance against Tunisia was horrific (albeit extremely small sample). Apart from that, if one of Kuol (Sr), Toure brothers or D'agostino can become a consistent striker we are looking good and on the improvement moving forward.

I’m sick of hearing about feeling cheated in Germany.

Played against 10 men for 45 mins and never looked like scoring. Italians were still the enterprising team and were rewarded. They made their own luck.

Football is a game of fine margins, but like today, one team was clearly more dominant and skilful.

We can jag a win or two, but to win a tournament it’s the cream that rises to the top. That’s why one of the remaining past winners and finalists will most likely win it.

As a country, our best athletes play AFL and Rugby League. We punched well above our weight in two WC to make the final 16.
Whilst Grosso embellishes the contact, Neill gave him the opportunity by diving in. If he stands on his feet, there’s far less chance of them scoring there.

TBF though… it has been pretty good here

B7506C1E-CC78-4AFF-A636-11D4A5B036E5.jpeg

Whilst Grosso embellishes the contact, Neill gave him the opportunity by diving in. If he stands on his feet, there’s far less chance of them scoring there.
Remember all the discussions about it at the time, for all the non football people it was “he dived”
For those of us who knew the game, it was “WTF was Neil thinking?”

Roar barely play in Suncorp anymore and haven't for years, MacArthur does have a stadium, and WUN have (very belatedly, agreed) begun development on theirs.

Sydney FC and WSW have both had brand new stadiums completed in the last few years, Adelaide has redeveloped Hindmarsh, and Glory are currently redeveloping theirs.
Glory doesn’t own theirs which is a major issue. Sage needs to invest in building one (possibly with Twiggy and the Western Force) so they can charge cheaper tickets. That’s a major reason people don’t go in Perth.

I’ll also say that Australian supporters in all sports are mostly fair-weathered. They won’t attend games if their team isn’t performing. Why waste their Sunday when they can do something more enjoyable? We just don’t have those die hard Sunderland fans that watch rain, hail or shine.

Remember all the discussions about it at the time, for all the non football people it was “he dived”

There was contact; Grosso exaggerated it to milk a penalty.

So the decision was givable, but IMO shouldn't have been given.

But then Optus only has PL and plenty have that, so I guess it's all about perspective.

Also has J-League, La Liga, DFB Pokal (and hopefully soon the Bundesliga), Nations League, and some other European Internationals.

I’ve got football mates who said I’m an idiot and that Neill had to slide in….

He’s coming from the side/close to by line. He has one person in the box to cross to who is being marked. If he tries to shoot/cross with his left, either Neill will block it or Schwarzer saves from that angle. If he cuts inside, Neill is then on his feet to block and he’s on his non-preferred foot. Anyone who understands defending knows this.

Also has J-League, La Liga, DFB Pokal (and hopefully soon the Bundesliga), Nations League, and some other European Internationals.

Yeah fair, forgot it got La Liga this season, but a lot of that other stuff would be pretty low interest surely.

Again, Roar do have a boutique stadium that they've been playing out of for a number of seasons now.

They don't even fill that though so not sure they need something with more than twice the capacity.
The problem is Redcliffe is a long way out of the city. There would be plenty of people who attended Suncorp games who are never getting out there. Suncorp was a great location but way too big. Instead of touching the Gabba, money should’ve gone into a rectangular stadium for some Olympic events that could’ve been used as a football facility as well.

With Sydney FC home now, most of the league are in good, appropriate stadiums that have great atmospheres. Which only makes the Western United situation an even bigger joke.

I’ve got football mates who said I’m an idiot and that Neill had to slide in….

He’s coming from the side/close to by line. He has one person in the box to cross to who is being marked. If he tries to shoot/cross with his left, either Neill will block it or Schwarzer saves from that angle. If he cuts inside, Neill is then on his feet to block and he’s on his non-preferred foot. Anyone who understands defending knows this.
I thought I’d have another look again, it’s been awhile since I’ve seen it, I get where they are coming from:
A62D0486-8E3E-4CA4-A137-5F217BF658FF.png
After he beats Brescy though he does head towards the line and Neil had to cover towards him
1C7EFDA7-97EB-4E37-8731-E93F4B98FAA1.png
I get Neil may have not know the man may have not been covered but we had CB to cover them, he should still be tracking Grossi to the line

Remove this Banner Ad

Back