Autopsy 2022 Rd 10 Blues and heart surgeons rejoice. Carlton beat Swans

Who played well for the Blues in Round 10 vs the Swans?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Before we crown Austin the mastermind he needs to fix the key position player depth issue which has happened on his watch after he delisted 3 in on off season without replacing any of them with like for like.

I’ll be him a pass for this season as nobody could have foreseen the Jones situation but I really hope he addresses it at this seasons end.
I will say this about Austin, the guy can find diamonds from 40+

That was my only slight criticism about SOS was not his strongest trait. SOS was a talented deal maker and got maximum value for all his trades, the spine he created is elite but now is the time where late pick finds are absolute gold and that is Austin’s forte

We could have looked at Williams as a guy we’d recruited to play midfield and been shy again. So credit to the recruiters for sticking fat with Hewett. Like Williams, he’d played midfield at the Swans and done well, but they’d always found other players for their rotations. You can’t overestimate the value of a guy who just does his job every single week. Absolute gun.

Hewett is more than a role player, he's an absolute jet! Can't believe we got him for nothing.

Interestingly they interviewed him after the game and he said how he completely switches off from footy away from the club, just lives his life normally. He said that helps him because when he gets to the club he feels fresh and ready to go every single time.

Last edited:
Hewett is more than a role player, he's an absolute jet! Can't believe we got him for nothing.

Interestingly they interviewed him after the game and he said how completely switches off from footy away from the club, just lives his life normally. He said that helps him because when he gets to the club he feels fresh and ready to go every single time.

This!

WHAT A GREAT WEEKEND
Star Wars Dog GIF by Tyler

coruscant-victory.gif

Interestingly they interviewed him after the game and he said how he completely switches off from footy away from the club, just lives his life normally. He said that helps him because when he gets to the club he feels fresh and ready to go every single time.
We had to win at some point with all the misses we’ve had

100% this although no doubt the coverage may have given it that bent to help with the narrative that we are prone to blowing leads, but it did feel like the supporters went into their shell in the second half.

Don’t get me wrong I was a bit nervous when Sydney started coming back but I always felt like we would win as I kept thinking the players now have a lot of experience in similar situations to call on.
I sit on the wing and it's virtually impossible to get a chant going. At most there'll be one or two that join in.

I've always been of the opinion that the crowd should work harder when the team is slipping or even playing poorly.

Give encouragement rather than the Bronx cheer you occasionally hear.

Seems I am in the minority.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I sit on the wing and it's virtually impossible to get a chant going. At most there'll be one or two that join in.

I've always been of the opinion that the crowd should work harder when the team is slipping or even playing poorly.

Give encouragement rather than the Bronx cheer you occasionally hear.

Seems I am in the minority.

Good to hear.

Hats off to all the fans for sticking by the club during a vey lean stretch and it’s great to see the crowd numbers we are now getting but we really need to get around them when it gets tough rather than wallow in dread and fear of a loss.

We expect (demand) the same of the players so it’s the least the fans can do yo in some small way play our part coz the crowd can be a huge factor especially for home games when we outnumber the opposition fans.

I'm starting to believe. Our second test this year, having failed the first one against Freo. 5 day break, significant injury list, Swans throwing everything at us in the last. We stood up well to the pressure. I was at the game and even though we were constantly under pressure I always felt like we had the answers. I think tired legs prevented us from playing a more free flowing game in the second half but we managed to repel wave after wave of attack. Weitering immense. De Koning stood up well although could have been more composed at times. That second quarter was awesome to watch. The pressure we applied had the Swans bewildered. Just got to find a way to sustain it for longer.

We still have room for improvement which is really encouraging. A good run with injury from here would be helpful. The next two matches could just about get us over the line in terms of playing finals. Good times.

Good to hear.

Hats off to all the fans for sticking by the club during a vey lean stretch and it’s great to see the crowd numbers we are now getting but we really need to get around them when it gets tough rather than wallow in dread and fear of a loss.

We expect (demand) the same of the players so it’s the least the fans can do yo in some small way play our part coz the crowd can be a huge factor especially for home games when we outnumber the opposition fans.
Collectively we seem to expect the players to give their all to play well so we are entertained and have that winning feeling, but never seem to be willing to put in any effort to give them a boost when they need it most.

Seems a bit unfair to me.

Think Plow just had a few moments where he tried things that worked against sides like North and a lacklustre GWS, and got found out by the higher level of pressure the Swans were bringing. Crippa too, for that matter. Just need to be a little more in tune to the state of the game and intensity of the opposition - play the percentages and find a teammate instead of holding the ball for an age and taking on 3 blokes.

He's (Plow) clearly been given a licence to be more aggressive/take on the game....

Everyone makes a blunder or two when taking the aggressive option. High risk/high reward....

Durdin's shocker half way through Q4 when kicking into the middle cost an immediate goal....c'est la vie.

Plow had another very solid game.

He's (Plow) clearly been given a licence to be more aggressive/take on the game....

Everyone makes a blunder or two when taking the aggressive option. High risk/high reward....

Durdin's shocker half way through Q4 when kicking into the middle cost an immediate goal....c'est la vie.

Condition of entry, I think. Plowman looks to me like a player who's been told that if he doesn't play with self-belief, he won't play at all... and he has responded with footy we haven't seen from him before. He and Cottrell are fantastic examples of the importance of mindset.

I really liked Plowman's final-quarter play, even though it didn't work out. He knew our attacking thrusts weren't working in Q4, and that we needed another goal to win the game. Saad and Docherty don't get the latitude for two give-and-go's through the middle of the ground, so he took it on himself. It was a percentage play, too - it ended as badly as it could have, but the damage was only a slow free kick on centre-wing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These are delayed views, because I was working for the AEC yesterday.

Cottrell and O’Brien are great examples of what a system does for more limited players. For years, we’ve bemoaned coming up against players we think are bunnies, who then go on to destroy us. David Hale would be one example. But that’s what happens when you put players in a system. They can build confidence in their game because they have confidence in the team’s game.

I don’t care what anyone says about a lid. That second quarter was premiership football. Every single year I’ve watched footy since 1982, that football wins a flag. Our task is to hold it up for longer. Then we win a flag.

The fade-out was qualitatively better than other games. We basically did control the terms on which that last quarter was played. We haven’t done that in other matches.

That said, I do wish our crowds would try and lift the team when we start to slip. After all the heartache, I can understand the tendency to sit back and look pensive. But if there is a concerted effort to find voice and genuinely lift the team during a run-on, then it’s not coming through over the tv coverage.

We could have looked at Williams as a guy we’d recruited to play midfield and been shy again. So credit to the recruiters for sticking fat with Hewett. Like Williams, he’d played midfield at the Swans and done well, but they’d always found other players for their rotations. You can’t overestimate the value of a guy who just does his job every single week. Absolute gun.
Fantastic post, and props for being able to write it at 6.30am after working on election day - I worked for the AEC yesterday too, and I was unconscious until midday today!

Yeah, for sure. I'm not potting the guy, which is the assumption some people make whenever they see Plowman mentioned in a post. I was, if anything, providing a bit of acceptable context for him getting caught a couple of times - his previous games this year were either at the lower level (VFL), or against AFL opposition playing with less frenetic pressure than the Swans did on Friday night. He tried a few tricks that had worked against other sides, but didn't fly in that situation. Hopefully will be better for it. Been a long time since he's been used in a role with this much license to run and carry.

Before we crown Austin the mastermind he needs to fix the key position player depth issue which has happened on his watch after he delisted 3 in on off season without replacing any of them with like for like.

I’ll give him a pass for this season as nobody could have foreseen the Jones situation but I really hope he addresses it at this seasons end.
A little unfair. He had limited draft picks to work with in 2021. Unless you are suggesting that Austin should have walked away from an A grade midfielder wanting to come to the Blues , in the name of Cerra. He and Hewitt have transformed our midfield and our onfield performances- the domino effect on cripps and Kennedy, freeing them up to play to their strengths. Also it has allowed us to bring in Carroll , in a protected development environment, this is a change from our "throw into the deep end " approach that has damaged the confidence of our young midfielders in times past.

With limited draft capital he has brought in the following talls
1 lewis Young. Ready to play and improving every week. A very astute pick up and looks to have a promising future
2 OMac. Ready to play and although injured, cannot be crossed off yet as a bust. Reportedly Oscar didnt disclose the state of his back injury.
3 Parkes. is showing some signs. Came from Glenelg so was not rookie aged
4 Akuei- carlton academy. Obviously a project
5 Mirkov- another project as most rookie ruckman are

I think it has to be recognised that there is some bad luck involved in our current KPD situation. The Jones vax retirement nobody could foresee. The Omac situation was also unforseen. The move of Mitch to the backline looked like a great solution, but injuries happen. Marchbank is still on our list and as such should be considered part of the future backline . If we still had Jones, and fit Omac, Mitch , marchbank, along with Young, we couldnt fit them all in.
We also have Jack who can play defence along with Kemp and Plowman.

I would like to know which players you think we should have taken?
2020 we had to give up #8 for saad leaving us with #37 and #41 for Durdin and Carroll
2021 we gave up #6 for Cerra, leaving #27 for motlop

We now, thanks to Austin, have a great small forward brigade with the addition of Motlop and Durdin
We now , thanks to Austin, have a midfield that is the envy of most teams, and that took the game up to the Demons midfield in preseason.

Last edited:

Correct. I wonder whether SOS would have tried to shake the tree earlier like he did with Papley, and we would have ended up in a bidding war with other clubs

I'm starting to believe. Our second test this year, having failed the first one against Freo. 5 day break, significant injury list, Swans throwing everything at us in the last. We stood up well to the pressure. I was at the game and even though we were constantly under pressure I always felt like we had the answers. I think tired legs prevented us from playing a more free flowing game in the second half but we managed to repel wave after wave of attack. Weitering immense. De Koning stood up well although could have been more composed at times. That second quarter was awesome to watch. The pressure we applied had the Swans bewildered. Just got to find a way to sustain it for longer.

We still have room for improvement which is really encouraging. A good run with injury from here would be helpful. The next two matches could just about get us over the line in terms of playing finals. Good times.

TDK's 4 marks in the last quarter could have been Harry! If nothing else, having harry and Pittonet out, has given TDK the confidence to do these kind of things. When Harry comes back we can enjoy watching TDK and Harry taking those clunkers on each wing

Shout out to Matt Kennedy.

Got crunched early after a couple of hospital handballs but kept getting up and putting his head over the ball.

Then started crunching a few of the Swans, with a little bit of nastiness (and a big grin).

He’s an absolute brute.

Would be a Voss favourite.

Took some great marks in the centre of the ground that most players would have dropped as they sh*t themselves with the swans converging

Gee we have improved a lot. Our defensive game is leaps and bounds ahead of where it was earlier in the year. It's a good example of how long it takes to fix things like that.

Despite the win and the score we really missed a CHF. McCartin did sit well behind the play and intercepted well for them. With McKay in the side we have that option to go to coming out when the game is slow and the players are tired. They also can't sit a tall like that in the hole, he has to man up and defend.

I really liked how we played, the come back for Sydney I feel may have been from a few things. Our forwards overall haven't got a huge amount of games in them so their tanks are probably not overly well built up, I think perhaps they stopped running a bit? We also built a big lead and went on the defence. Not having the tall to go to at CHF when the run comes out of the game also robbs us of forward entries. McKay becomes important when we slow the play down.

Walsh - If Cripps is the best in the comp, Walsh is very very close second, he was again far too good.

Hewett - No fuss mr consistent. Just keeps finding it and just keeps going. He's in career best form and is playing like a top AFL player.

Newman - If he has a bad game one week, he's going to get up for a good one the next and he did that. Really good game, some really strong marking when he needed to.

Docherty - He's just back to his best, he seems to be really enjoying playing in a strong side and he's playing his best footy.

Kennedy - He was great, they beat him up a bit at times and he stood tall on a number of occasions.

Saad - He has to be in talks for an AA spot. He's next level. His ability to defend is excellent, he runs off and he hits targets most others wouldn't.

Cripps - Quieter this week but still high impact. He didn't have to star, he just did his role.

Cottrell - He's improved so much as a player. He covers a lot of ground and he keeps finding it and using it well. I like him in the team, he's a real workhorse.

Fisher - He was great, up and around the midfield, up in defence, running and creating and kicking goals. He's in some sort of form right now.

O'Brien - I liked his game. The better he defends and is at the contest, the better he plays and he was good. Thought he ran out of gas late in the game though for someone who is meant to be an elite runner.

Owies - He's playing well and if he cleans up his kicking for goal he's going to be really good. Just hard at it all day.

Weitering - One of our BOG players. He did what I thought he would and Gave Buddy a bath. He's the form full back of the comp at the moment, he was outstanding. I have always been critical of one thing with him, being too nice and not hitting bodies. Well he's doing that now and gee it makes a difference. Adds a new layer to his game, that body spoil late in the game adds intimidation and hurt factor to our defence.

Young - He didn't play too bad, he defended the plays he could, he intercepted, he was cleaner below his knees and he just looks to be coming of age as a player. Like him in the side, think he will be a player for the future.

Cerra - I liked his game, he didn't get a heap of it but he was good when he was in the play.

De Koning - He was going along ok and then the last quarter he stood up and helped get us home with some outstanding marking. His hands have improved. I bet when he can, he goes back forward and has an impact.

Durdin - He's the ideal small forward. Crumbs well and kicks goals. Applies really good pressure. Willing to put his head over it and take contact and good in the air for his size. He's also a really good user of the ball and shot for goal. We have a very good player here.

Motlop - Looked miles better than he did last week. His intensity and attack on the contest was way up, his work rate was good. Liked his game.

Stocker - Had Papley, looks a bit short on for fitness and game fitness which he is. Did a decent job and will get better.

Curnow - 6 goals is 6 goals.

Plowman - I liked his game, made some mistakes but if you are going to take the game on the odd mistake I can ware. Thought he was really good.

Carroll - He was ok, going well for a young player.

Silvagni - Quieter this week but he played his role and contributed just fine.

Fantastic post, and props for being able to write it at 6.30am after working on election day - I worked for the AEC yesterday too, and I was unconscious until midday today!
Ha, ha, ha… it’s a long day. I finished at about 10:30 pm, which is apparently pretty good. I was pleasantly surprised at how polite and understanding the voters were. There are some lovely people out there.

I’m just getting by today on watching the second quarter again, and reflecting on some of de Koning’s last quarter marks 😄

Gee we have improved a lot. Our defensive game is leaps and bounds ahead of where it was earlier in the year. It's a good example of how long it takes to fix things like that.

Despite the win and the score we really missed a CHF. McCartin did sit well behind the play and intercepted well for them. With McKay in the side we have that option to go to coming out when the game is slow and the players are tired. They also can't sit a tall like that in the hole, he has to man up and defend.

I really liked how we played, the come back for Sydney I feel may have been from a few things. Our forwards overall haven't got a huge amount of games in them so their tanks are probably not overly well built up, I think perhaps they stopped running a bit? We also built a big lead and went on the defence. Not having the tall to go to at CHF when the run comes out of the game also robbs us of forward entries. McKay becomes important when we slow the play down.

Walsh - If Cripps is the best in the comp, Walsh is very very close second, he was again far too good.

Hewett - No fuss mr consistent. Just keeps finding it and just keeps going. He's in career best form and is playing like a top AFL player.

Newman - If he has a bad game one week, he's going to get up for a good one the next and he did that. Really good game, some really strong marking when he needed to.

Docherty - He's just back to his best, he seems to be really enjoying playing in a strong side and he's playing his best footy.

Kennedy - He was great, they beat him up a bit at times and he stood tall on a number of occasions.

Saad - He has to be in talks for an AA spot. He's next level. His ability to defend is excellent, he runs off and he hits targets most others wouldn't.

Cripps - Quieter this week but still high impact. He didn't have to star, he just did his role.

Cottrell - He's improved so much as a player. He covers a lot of ground and he keeps finding it and using it well. I like him in the team, he's a real workhorse.

Fisher - He was great, up and around the midfield, up in defence, running and creating and kicking goals. He's in some sort of form right now.

O'Brien - I liked his game. The better he defends and is at the contest, the better he plays and he was good. Thought he ran out of gas late in the game though for someone who is meant to be an elite runner.

Owies - He's playing well and if he cleans up his kicking for goal he's going to be really good. Just hard at it all day.

Weitering - One of our BOG players. He did what I thought he would and Gave Buddy a bath. He's the form full back of the comp at the moment, he was outstanding. I have always been critical of one thing with him, being too nice and not hitting bodies. Well he's doing that now and gee it makes a difference. Adds a new layer to his game, that body spoil late in the game adds intimidation and hurt factor to our defence.

Young - He didn't play too bad, he defended the plays he could, he intercepted, he was cleaner below his knees and he just looks to be coming of age as a player. Like him in the side, think he will be a player for the future.

Cerra - I liked his game, he didn't get a heap of it but he was good when he was in the play.

De Koning - He was going along ok and then the last quarter he stood up and helped get us home with some outstanding marking. His hands have improved. I bet when he can, he goes back forward and has an impact.

Durdin - He's the ideal small forward. Crumbs well and kicks goals. Applies really good pressure. Willing to put his head over it and take contact and good in the air for his size. He's also a really good user of the ball and shot for goal. We have a very good player here.

Motlop - Looked miles better than he did last week. His intensity and attack on the contest was way up, his work rate was good. Liked his game.

Stocker - Had Papley, looks a bit short on for fitness and game fitness which he is. Did a decent job and will get better.

Curnow - 6 goals is 6 goals.

Plowman - I liked his game, made some mistakes but if you are going to take the game on the odd mistake I can ware. Thought he was really good.

Carroll - He was ok, going well for a young player.

Silvagni - Quieter this week but he played his role and contributed just fine.
Great comments but my Lord, LOB tan his absolute arse off in the last.

Ha, ha, ha… it’s a long day. I finished at about 10:30 pm, which is apparently pretty good. I was pleasantly surprised at how polite and understanding the voters were. There are some lovely people out there.

I’m just getting by today on watching the second quarter again, and reflecting on some of de Koning’s last quarter marks 😄
Spent the 15 hour day at a Gippsland AEC booth yesterday. Long day but grateful that it was organised so well and our system is strong. Go Blues.

Yeah... I've done a few now, and these general elections where you have the Senate/Upper House papers to contend with as well, 10.30pm is a good early finish. Midnight for us in Queanbeyan; our Officer in Charge had never worked an election before (in any capacity), but we muddled through OK in the end. Voters are fine - they understand we're all in it together, and just a flicker of humanity from us is enough. "Have you voted in this election before?" — "No..." — "Once is enough, eh?" is just enough to help them feel like you're on their side, and give them half a smile as they head off with their ballot papers.

I haven't even got back to watch last week's game against GWS yet, never mind the Swans, so I've got my evening all sorted out!

Back