Dow
Hayes
Setterfield
Martin
Cerra
Owies (?)

The barrel is nearly bare.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
That's assuming Martin, Cerra and Owies pass their fitness tests this week!

Carroll didn't finish the VFL match on the weekend, but wasn't listed in the injury report yesterday, so assumedly is ok to play. Mirkov is too, though unlikely to be selected.

The pessimistic view: if all four of the players facing tests (the three above plus Fogarty) fail to get up:
  • Stocker comes into the 22 for Boyd.
  • Four emergencies would be: Setterfield, Hayes, Dow, Carroll.
  • Mirkov only available player not named.
  • If we get two more unavailable between now and gameday, we'd need to use the top-up list

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
No doubt the whole structure is better and would help, but it also helps when players know they need to perform and meet coaches expectations or risk getting dropped. Too many players got away with poor performances under teague and to the detriment of the team.

I agree that player standards have lifted, but who did we have on the list that should have pushed Plow out of that 3rd tall defender that was probably our best option to play on small forwards?

In the off season, the decision to push Gov back created more competition for that spot, but like Marchbank, durability remains a concern

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm already impatient for the big game on Friday. God damit.
The atmosphere will be fantastic. Love seeing our running players in full flight (Walsh, Saad, Fisher, Cottrel, LOB, Newnes, Durdin & Motlop) Very exciting.
BTW. Aren't they talking up TDK now. Worth $800-900k after playing his best game.
Austin will have some head aches in the next year or getting all our gun players signed up.
GO BAGGERS :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::rainbow:

Looks like we have a strong culture and the players are hungry for success having gone through some tough years. I see no reason why anyone within our best 30 would look to move now.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Seems to be heaps of tickets available now for those who were asking
The AFL's own ticketing system is so counter productive at the moment, it's actively sending the wrong signals to those interested in attending. No doubt it's turning some people away
It's an absolute joke.
And they wonder why crowds are down.

Mar 29, 2007
Rand McNally
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Seems to be heaps of tickets available now for those who were asking
The AFL's own ticketing system is so counter productive at the moment, it's actively sending the wrong signals to those interested in attending. No doubt it's turning some people away

i got some AFL members tickets last week, and could only get level 3.

Cobba268

Rookie
Apr 30, 2022
AFL Club
Carlton
Owies for Motlop
Stocker for Boyd
Cerra also must come into the team, but not sure who is the unlucky player to miss. You probably have to drop one of Newnes, Obrien or Cottrell, despite how good they have all been. Also, can't see Honey being omitted after 1 game.
Cerra in for Newnes (very unlucky)
Fisher has to go back to his high half forward role after playing the best game of his career in the midfield.
I guess these are the problems good teams have.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
drink a hot soy latte for every "danger game" "better not get complacent!" "saints will lift against us" "this is their grand final" "we best be on our game".....
I can't wait for the week that isn't a danger game and the opponents won't bother to lift for us as it isn't their grand final so it means we can be complacent and not bother to bring our best game.

Mar 29, 2007
Rand McNally
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
I can't wait for the week that isn't a danger game and the opponents won't bother to lift for us as it isn't their grand final so it means we can be complacent and not bother to bring our best game.

every game is a danger game. we are now relavent again, teams will be getting up to play us as we are a "yard sticK' in terms of the current top teams.

Seen you mention this a couple of times, yet Plow not being in the side early in the season is being underdone early on

Perhaps, like most of the players/team, a more modern day defensive setup (back and all over the ground) is more the reason why Plow has been more reliable/consistent, rather than backmen playing one out
Arrow,

I don't really get 'one out' can you explain it so even an equine might understand? Ta.

I’m not even mad, just happy he’ll likely be back next week and we can field 2 legit KPD’s.

That is, until Young injures himself by falling down a well considering the luck we’ve got
Talking Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
This needs to happen more often. Walsh often demands the ball with a defender right on his clacka. Then gets tacked instantly.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree and add to that the shephard is the thing of the past. You might see 5 a season over the whole competition

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
Every game form this point on, crucial, if we want to end our season on an upward momentum, after the Saints , it doesn’t get any easier,
Eagles at Optus fielding a much stronger team, not easy then in form side, Geelong they won’t be a push over that’s a certainty, just the next 3 week.
Bottom line we need to evolve , mature our team culture & game plan to be able to cope , with very positive media exposure like this week , and so much more yet, things can turn quickly.
We’re on track, and humming nicely, we’ll be serious contenders in 2 to 3 season, Go Blues

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Arrow,

I don't really get 'one out' can you explain it so even an equine might understand? Ta.

Teague (similar to early Buckley and Goodwin ), wanted certain styles and setups that were no longer and or less effective in the modern game. Teague, wanted onballers in more attacking positions which left defenders more in one on one roles for longer during the game. Each of the all the better sides have a better blend even though their methods and setups are different

McCrae at the Pies has them playing a similar style to the Tigers, getting the ball forward quickly and retain forward positions for longer while defensively they setup with an extra 1 or 2 players in a zone setup, so they can cover space more than a specific opponent

We rely on winning the stoppage to move the ball through hands or kicking long depending on what matchup or numbers we have further up the ground, but will still setup more in a zone structure with extra number/s, then move collectively defensively to cover outlets or dangerous space and really only go one on one matchups with opposition talls

Last edited:

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Interesting observation on our opposition.

Lethlean did an interview where he claimed a big reason they have dropped off is not getting as much run off half back and being too stagnant. Has come out and alresdy said the team will play more aggressively and quicker...which is interesting as he's not part of the coaching panel, he's their GM of football.

But we need to be ready for a 'run and gun' Saints this week. They are quite dangerous when they play that way.

Ryder back in. Hill a maybe.

KnobHead

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2011
Ayahuasca Island
AFL Club
Carlton
Still lots of talk on Plow. Has been going on for years now. But there’s a reason he keeps getting picked.

He regularly gets games and does his job. Players don’t have to do something spectacular to be a good team player. Role players actually allow the more freakish players to be less accountable and do their thing.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm drowning in soy coffee right here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back