Preview 2022 Rd 16 Carlton vs St Kilda Friday July 1 7:50PM @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motlop/Honey and Durdin absolutely monstered the Freo defenders
They absolutely did JaB....I was seated behind the goals and got a first hand look at what was happening in the forward half.

Motlop and Durds were being rotated a lot - so the majority of the time only one was out there. Both are genuine small forwards with licence to wander up the ground before transitioning deep forward as the play unfolds....then become front and centre once the ball hits the deck off H or Charles if they don't grab it. Both were a constant threat to the Freo defenders either with or without the ball. I wouldn't be dropping either of them this week.

Joshy Honey was also menacing - a few times during the Freo game he threatened to break through the lines....only his first game for the year, give him a few more under his belt and he'll break a game wide open with his speed and strength. He's a bull with talent.

I'd only be making minor changes to our winning combination this week - Weiters for Plow if he's fit, and possibly Cerra for Kennedy to give him a chop out if he's sore. Hopefully Boyd is right to go - if not, Stock. I wouldn't be dropping Kemp - thought he was massive against the bigger bodied opposition - his attack at the ball had a LOT of confidence and plenty of mongrel :thumbsu:

Obrien, Cotters and Durdin, most complete games for the club for mine. Durdin looks much better further up the ground. Was impressed with Kemp also. Honey Struggled but also had a few nice moments. Motlop the same, clearly has senior footy attributes and it was a nearly there game. Still bit of time but this lot is a reassuring glimpse of what is in the kit bag. TDK was huge also.

For the stat watchers- keep a strong eye on Cotts and his ground ball gets. Take out his outlier (poor) game against the Pies and for the last 6 weeks he’s averaged 7 a game. Wingmen do not do that (they don’t get the chances). He is a lot cleaner and hard at it than he’s given credit for. His possesions have built to around the 18 mark and he’s kicked 3 goals in 3 weeks.

He’s a real watch.

For the stat watchers- keep a strong eye on Cotts and his ground ball gets. Take out his outlier (poor) game against the Pies and for the last 6 weeks he’s averaged 7 a game. Wingmen do not do that (they don’t get the chances). He is a lot cleaner and hard at it than he’s given credit for. His possesions have built to around the 18 mark and he’s kicked 3 goals in 3 weeks.

He’s a real watch.
There is absolutely no need to blow our wad on amon.

Both cotts and LOB tracking beautifully. They're going to a new level over their next 20 games. Going to make a lot of people look very stupid.

He was probably our worst player but if we want our side to continue to play the style of football we did against Freo then I think someone like Honey is critical. He and Durdins pressure/running power is priceless. Same goes for picking Boyd over Stocker. Cottrell another average player that allows us to play a great style of footy because he can get to areas most can’t because of his running power plus do it at speed.
It’s going to be very interesting watching selections over the next few weeks when we start getting players back.
Pitto makes us a much slower side so after he gets back in I think we will really favour runners/athletes. Fisher having as many CBA’s as Kennedy and Walsh I think was also really interesting considering we still have Cerra to come back. I think Walsh might get pushed nearly completely out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They absolutely did JaB....I was seated behind the goals and got a first hand look at what was happening in the forward half.

Motlop and Durds were being rotated a lot - so the majority of the time only one was out there. Both are genuine small forwards with licence to wander up the ground before transitioning deep forward as the play unfolds....then become front and centre once the ball hits the deck off H or Charles if they don't grab it. Both were a constant threat to the Freo defenders either with or without the ball. I wouldn't be dropping either of them this week.

Joshy Honey was also menacing - a few times during the Freo game he threatened to break through the lines....only his first game for the year, give him a few more under his belt and he'll break a game wide open with his speed and strength. He's a bull with talent.

I'd only be making minor changes to our winning combination this week - Weiters for Plow if he's fit, and possibly Cerra for Kennedy to give him a chop out if he's sore. Hopefully Boyd is right to go - if not, Stock. I wouldn't be dropping Kemp - thought he was massive against the bigger bodied opposition - his attack at the ball had a LOT of confidence and plenty of mongrel :thumbsu:
agree mate

Honey is going to be a match winner - sooner rather than later.

He was probably our worst player but if we want our side to continue to play the style of football we did against Freo then I think someone like Honey is critical. He and Durdins pressure/running power is priceless. Same goes for picking Boyd over Stocker. Cottrell another average player that allows us to play a great style of footy because he can get to areas most can’t because of his running power plus do it at speed.
It’s going to be very interesting watching selections over the next few weeks when we start getting players back.
Pitto makes us a much slower side so after he gets back in I think we will really favour runners/athletes. Fisher having as many CBA’s as Kennedy and Walsh I think was also really interesting considering we still have Cerra to come back. I think Walsh might get pushed nearly completely out.
Walsh has got his running speed and acceleration back on top of his endurance - he is the best outside runner we've got between the arcs- he was everywhere picking up loose balls receiving out of congestion accelerating away like he had jets..where Voss is playing him now is perfect for his skill set. The only bloke in midfield with Walsh's running speed or better is Cottrell - and he is starting to learn how to use it as well.

Wouldn’t be dropping Honey either - thought he looked dangerous skirting around. Give him some time to find the pace of the game & some form with it.

The other thing about Cotts is that his Kick efficiency is a mile up on last year. 47 up to 66 percent.

Love to see guys improving year on year and he’s def taking big steps forward.

Has improved, embraced his limitations, but the number 1 factor is the gameplan as most of our players have improved stats in kicking efficiency

Edited

Jsos 60 > 72, Fisher 53 > 69, Charlie 60 > 64, Owies 59 > 65, Saad 71 > 81, etc

Last edited:
Walsh has got his running speed and acceleration back on top of his endurance - he is the best outside runner we've got between the arcs- he was everywhere picking up loose balls receiving out of congestion accelerating away like he had jets..where Voss is playing him now is perfect for his skill set. The only bloke in midfield with Walsh's running speed or better is Cottrell - and he is starting to learn how to use it as well.

With The way we seem to be pushing back atm I think Walsh will just start forward and play pretty much entirely as an outside mid. Run will be critical for us. LOB, Walsh, Cottrell and possibly Honey and Durdin will be absolutely vital to help us transition from defence to attack considering we will probably always be trying to work through the opposition extras up the field. Then the same trying to keep pressure on their defence when it’s in our forward half. We can talk about smarts all we want but structurally I think pace and gut running will be every single bit as important as talls. some of these guys will probably get games ahead of better footballers at times simply because of their running ability

Gotta find a way to keep Kemp and Honey in, their power and aggression adds a new dimension to the side
Easy, just hokey pokey it...
You put a Cerra in... You pull a Boyd out... You put a Weitering in and kick Plowman out... You do the team selection, on a 6 day turn around and that's what it's all about... :grinv1:

Last edited:
There is absolutely no need to blow our wad on amon.

Both cotts and LOB tracking beautifully. They're going to a new level over their next 20 games. Going to make a lot of people look very stupid.

I loved Cottrell game …but putting on a list managers hat you need to take emotion out of it…a little.

Cotts is improving and so is our side. Austin needs clear understanding on the role of wing. Metres gained is a big trait for the role. Here Cottrell is worse than his peers by some way. Worse than Amon by a mile. Metres gained links to kicking efficiency On the harder option. Less metres gains means more basic ‘kicking’ options…non attacking options. I think Austin loves this stat.

Amon beats him handily for disposals, metres gained, goal assists, and scoring involvements. I can’t be bothered checking more.

Cottrell is on the up. I get it. But he would have to be or Austin would be remiss to not look at better options.

Minimum Cottrell has to get his metres gained average up or he is holding someone else’s spot. The trick is to look at averages, not one or two games.

Honey was a like for like for Martin.

Unless the MC is convinced that Martin is a. fit and b. capable of offering MUCH more than Honey, Honey stays in. He'll only get better and better.

Jack can earn a spot through the 2s frankly.

Boyd? If he doesn't get up, Stocker the obvious like for like.

Owies if fit comes in for Motlop, but maybe they'll give him a week off?

Cerra if fit comes in for Setters, then Newnes becomes the sub.

I loved Cottrell game …but putting on a list managers hat you need to take emotion out of it…a little.

Cotts is improving and so is our side. Austin needs clear understanding on the role of wing. Metres gained is a big trait for the role. Here Cottrell is worse than his peers by some way. Worse than Amon by a mile. Metres gained links to kicking efficiency On the harder option. Less metres gains means more basic ‘kicking’ options…non attacking options. I think Austin loves this stat.

Amon beats him handily for disposals, metres gained, goal assists, and scoring involvements. I can’t be bothered checking more.

Cottrell is on the up. I get it. But he would have to be or Austin would be remiss to not look at better options.

Minimum Cottrell has to get his metres gained average up or he is holding someone else’s spot. The trick is to look at averages, not one or two games.
Yes but Cotters is 22 with 29 games under his belt.

Cotters is bigger, taller and faster (better runner).

Amon almost 27 with 120 odd games.

When did Amon hit his straps?

Season 7 (for him) - age 25, 80 games under his belt:

1656274010346.png

Yes but Cotters is 22 with 29 games under his belt.

Cotters is bigger, taller and faster (better runner).

Amon almost 27 with 120 odd games.

When did Amon hit his straps?

Season 7 (for him) - age 25, 80 games under his belt:

View attachment 1434065

Maybe and I hope you are right. James Jordon from Dees is young and he averages 388 metres gained. Most of the wingers do as that is a key trait of a successful winger. I think Lob does as well.

I still think our 3 most important needs for a flag in our current window are KPD for coverage, winger of quality and ruck support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back