Autopsy 2022 Rd 21 Last quarter surge masks woeful performance

Who wishes I'd stop stuffing around with this poll after a loss?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
At the start of the season we were able to link up from handballs and actually run the ball out of stoppages. That’s completely gone. Even when we are winning stoppages now we still don’t have the ability to clear the ball and run it forward. Teams have worked that out imo.
I don't think we've been worked out so much as we've dropped off.
We're badly missing Hewett, but also we've had weeks were we've been smashed in the ruck. Cripps' form dropped off, Walsh's decision making has dropped off etc.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't think we've been worked out so much as we've dropped off.
We're badly missing Hewett, but also we've had weeks were we've been smashed in the ruck. Cripps' form dropped off, Walsh's decision making has dropped off etc.
Your cattle and form are always the reason a game plan will work so it could be that. I think I read that in our first 10 games we scored 100 points 6 times and only once in our last ten games. Somethings changed imo.

Well according to Harry on TV last night - the team has been given the green light to play with more dare going forward - which means someone put that style of play on amber or red status for a while now.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Exactly.

And this gets compounded by having around a third of the list out injured for over half the season. No opportunity to give the 'worn out' guys a break. Give us Brisbane, Sydney or Richmond's injury list for the year, and that style can be sustained - with a reliance on the group in the 23-30 range on the list to come in regularly for relief.

Whether it's by better conditioning or by delisting perennially injured players, we must build a more durable list if we are to play this style of footy and succeed.
What other midifielders were injured when Cripps/Hewitt/Kennedy ect were 'worn out'?

BlueBayou

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I’m not sure what others see, but in the 3rd when we were junk, I saw JSOS go into a 2 on 1 and split the contest until another Carlton player got there. That was my highlight of the whole game.

JSOS should be played as an old fashioned centreman. The link player right through corridor. Tall enough to make it a contest, not to big to be mosquitoed off. I get it isn’t a position used anymore but he is perfect for it.
We should play 7 down back with Saad playing back pocket/wing, JSOS as corridor and LOB as wing. And LOB could be great. Bit of time and confidence and he is a 200 game wingman.

Less forwards probably suits us anyway. Harry, Charlie, Motlop, Cottrell as a grunt/pressure HFF that somehow regularly hits the scoreboard and a resting mid/rover.

I know everyone will think this is stupid, but I can’t see the game the same way as most people.
I agree about Jsos. He tries his guts out each and every week without fail. I also agree with your point about playing him in the centre. I have said for ages that he is a natural born Ruck-Rover, like Serge, not like Steve. (you say centre, I say RR. It's all achedemic.)He could play as a link or inside mid, chop out in the ruck, do lots of roles. He actually hits targets by foot too, so that would help leading forwards.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
I agree about Jsos. He tries his guts out each and every week without fail. I also agree with your point about playing him in the centre. I have said for ages that he is a natural born Ruck-Rover, like Serge, not like Steve. (you say centre, I say RR. It's all achedemic.)He could play as a link or inside mid, chop out in the ruck, do lots of roles. He actually hits targets by foot too, so that would help leading forwards.
I think you could see some of it when he played ruck. On the ground you could see him several times running out of the clearance with the ball and things like that.

I'd love to see it now and then, purely as a rover.

Blue since 72

Premiership Player
Feb 13, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Well according to Harry on TV last night - the team has been given the green light to play with more dare going forward - which means someone put that style of play on amber or red status for a while now.

Perhaps they were trying to address the early season fade outs with a more conservative defensive style. I thought a combo of full bore then slow down ie the second Freo game seemed to work quite well.

Hands On

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Perhaps they were trying to address the early season fade outs with a more conservative defensive style. I thought a combo of full bore then slow down ie the second Freo game seemed to work quite well.
This and i also think when Cripps has taken the ruck it left opposition on ballers to go straight to Walsh and put him on more pressure taking away his effectiveness. We need a good and fit ruck leaving the on ball brigade to hunt the ball block shepherd etc.

Blue since 72

Premiership Player
Feb 13, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
This and i also think when Cripps has taken the ruck it left opposition on ballers to go straight to Walsh and put him on more pressure taking away his effectiveness. We need a good and fit ruck leaving the on ball brigade to hunt the ball block shepherd etc.

Yeah I don't know why Harry couldn't have made those few ruck contests in the forward line.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
The contest he 'squibbed' the ball flew about 1.5 meters above his head, he wasn't going to get it and 'squibbing' at the point he had committed to attempting to gather the ball wasn't going to prevent him getting harmed. He could've still got smashed.

Dow was huge at the center bounce, needs to attend EVERY center bounce with Cripps out next week.

He's not soft, he's a tall mid at 187cm (Clarry's height) and his strength is his ground ball game. If he plays more TOG and hits every center bounce he will have plenty of center clearances.
I’m amazed supporters still have the energy to invent some alternative explanation when it comes to Dow’s ineptness.

Don’t think the contest that has been highlighted was the situation I saw Dow pull out of either, but there were a couple of notable instances of Dow stopping OR decelerating to avoid contact.

He’s very soft, especially for an inside midfielder. Doesn’t attack the ball or man with intent. His limited TOG is directly linked to his appalling tank -after 5 years on a list. He simply can’t run out games at AFL level because he is so far behind aerobically it is embarrassing.

Whether we play him next week or in Round 23 is irrelevant. He’s a complete bust.

Last edited:
Good.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Dow looks clueless every time there’s a hard ball to be won or a contest he needs to impact.

His clearances look like they happen by accident.

Edit - thinking about it, if I was an opposition midfield coach I’d absolutely be targeting the space around Dow at a stoppage, backing his direct opponent to outpoint him. Probably why the ball seemingly lands in his lap at times.

Dow is way too soft to make it anywhere.

How many full time inside midfielders are as frightened of contact and rattled as easily as Paddy?

He is far more likely to go the way as SPS and be as just average at another club.

He wasn’t influential, regardless if he was converting more from his CBA’s than our other mids. What did those clearances lead to?

As I’ve said earlier ITT I’m sure opposition ruckman are happy to put the ball into Dow’s area and back their on baller to win it - if not he’s likely to make some dumb frightened mistake anyway.

What was his major action with those clearances? His upfield teammates can’t do much about hacked kicks forward.

Winning clearance counts means SFA if you’re turning the ball over or reverting into defensive positions after you’ve won the stoppage. Plus we know once the ball is in motion Dow is useless.

He’s just so, so bad on so many levels.

He’s been soft for 5 years - that’s the issue.

I’m amazed supporters still have the energy to invent some alternative explanation when it comes to Dow’s ineptness.

Don’t think the contest that has been highlighted was the situation I saw Dow pull out of either, but there were a couple of notable instances of Dow stopping OR decelerating to avoid contact.

He’s very soft, especially for an inside midfielder. Doesn’t attack the ball or man with intent. His limited TOG is directly linked to his appalling tank -after 5 years on a list. He simply can’t run out games at AFL level because he is so far behind aerobically it is embarrassing.

Whether we play him next week or in Round 23 is irrelevant. He’s a complete bust.

Talk about energy.

All you have done is wasted a lot of energy digging the boots into Dow.

How about you move on from your negative agenda.

It is really getting tiresome and total disrespect to a Carlton listed player!

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Talk about energy.

All you have done is wasted a lot of energy digging the boots into Dow.

How about you move on from your negative agenda.

It is really getting tiresome.
There is a lot of subject matter and a lot of ground to cover when it comes to what he is bad at and how many aspects of his play are lacking.

It takes genuine creativity to attempt to mitigate his constant failings as a footballer and explain away why he is still so ineffectual.

You should pull up those who only have a positive agenda and just bleat the same nonsense to generate some likes. There are plenty of those floating around on this board.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
There is a lot of subject matter and a lot of ground to cover when it comes to what he is bad at and how many aspects of his play are lacking.

It takes genuine creativity to attempt to mitigate his constant failings as a footballer and explain away why he is still so ineffectual.

You should pull up those who only have a positive agenda and just bleat the same nonsense to generate some likes. There are plenty of those floating around on this board.

* Repetitive negative agendas will be watched closely. This is a forum for Carlton supporters, not Carlton detractors, so if you dip predominantly into the latter, you leave yourself open to sanctions. Objectivity is the key.

* Name calling and abuse towards players, re their skills, position in the team, what kind of vegetable they remind you of, parentage etc. If you dislike a player in terms of the way they play, it is easy enough to articulate that in a more constructive way.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"

Labelling the same player 'mentally deficient' in another thread, is that what you call genuine creativity!

Rustica

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Red Bull Racing F1
I really hope that last quarter wasn't the Lions just going to sleep. Their coach seemed a tad concerned about 5 goals in. We need to bring that intent from the bounce of the ball. Play a more defensive approach when we are up by 6-7 goals in the 3rd or 4th qtr. If we are scared of fade outs

Dunna Heartknee

Club Legend
Jul 4, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Another poster who's name escapes me commented on how well JSOS played down back in the last quarter.
So I went back and watched it, he was pretty bloody good in my eyes, would not be against him playing there more often.👍

BartSimpson

Team Captain
Apr 25, 2008
Springfield
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sprinfield Saints
I think it would’ve made us worse. Neither Plow or Kemp have shown any rebound or run that we lacked tonight
Correct, though they could have played the lockdown role and freed up Saad to get back to doing what he does best. That’s why role players are so important - they allow others to play to their strengths. In my opinion it’s better to cop the odd mistake from someone like Plow/Kemp as the payoff comes through others being able to play more suitable roles. And judge role players on the overall benefits they bring to a team, not the individual mistakes they may make in any given game. Probably an unpopular opinion, but it’s how I see it personally.

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I really hope that last quarter wasn't the Lions just going to sleep. Their coach seemed a tad concerned about 5 goals in. We need to bring that intent from the bounce of the ball. Play a more defensive approach when we are up by 6-7 goals in the 3rd or 4th qtr. If we are scared of fade outs
They did give up a 42 point lead the week before. Was a shame we let it blow out in the 3rd quarter to be outside a realistic chance of winning in the last.

Back