Autopsy 2022 Rd 21 Last quarter surge masks woeful performance

Who wishes I'd stop stuffing around with this poll after a loss?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

A contested / clearance side that gets smashed in the clearances is a problem.

We setup in such a way that we look extremely vulnerable if we lose the clearance, which lately we have been often.

Last quarter just a facade - Brisbane stopped. When the heat was on we were nowhere near it.

More than a few players not up to AFL level if we're going to be contender.

Lack of continuity and lack of playing time together for several players really showed out there today.

I have never come on here and potted individual players. A few Days ago I made a comment that none of our bottom six will make it on another decent teams list. I hope all of the whipping boy lovers on this forum acknowledge this. They are all front runners leaving too much to to few.

If TDK wants to ruck in the NicNat mould, then he needs to learn timing. Repeatedly mistiming the jump is a one way ticket to a clearance from the opposition
He was terrible, has been for a while, not to be unexpected, bad decision to drop pitto

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app

If TDK wants to ruck in the NicNat mould, then he needs to learn timing. Repeatedly mistiming the jump is a one way ticket to a clearance from the opposition

Thank you. Mistiming jumps and getting pushed out so easily. He's 23 now. You'd think he would have started building a stronger frame. It is vital for a ruckman.

As it stands, his brother is light years ahead of him and Tom just offers glimpses of what he is capable of from time to time. We really do have some light and weak big men, and not a lot of mongrel amongst them.

We got destroyed in the centre, I don’t think TDK won a contest. Big O would grab the ball smashed it forward or tap at will. Defence from this was constantly under pressure and we were playing from the back the entire game.
Clearly chose the wrong ruck this week..

That was f*cking woeful, Voss has absolutely no idea what our strengths & weakness are.
Disgusted with that effort
It's like gluing a coin to the footpath and waiting.

Worked out or out worked?

Buggered players? Some role players feeling the pressure of a long season?

This might be preferable to continuing good efforts masking our shortcomings, of which there appears a few.

Combination of all of the above.

There is we always going to be a flat spot at some point, unfortunately it looks to have hit in the last 2 weeks.

Utterly woeful. This team is going as badly as we were under Teague - in fact, I almost feel sorry for Teague.

At least Voss has a fit Docherty and Curnow to work with, along with Cerra, Young, and a year extra on most of the other guys.

To rinse and repeat from the last few weeks, anyone blaming the bottom 6 is looking in the wrong spot. Every team has a bottom 6. Ours are being asked to do far too much because our top 6-7 are playing so poorly.

Of everything I think the saddest thing was that when we got it back within 5 goals at the end, Brisbane won every single of the 6 center clearances after that, and they were all an utter procession. That's Cripps, Walsh and Cerra (along with Fisher) allowing the ball to walk out. The last 3 goals they kicked were Docherty, Weitering, Saad all getting caught out.

Right now our best players can't even show fans the respect of providing a decent junk time comeback. So much for 'honorable losses' - I think I'd rather go back to those under Teague than the rubbish we've served up the last 2 weeks.
You’d rather go back to Teague? 😃😃
Ok, the shark has officially been jumped. 😃😃

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If a club is dumb enough to offer a 3rd rounder for Dow we take it an run.

Such a nothing player.

I’d play Carroll over him next week too.
Then you are rewarding Carrol for poor VFL form, how is that helping player development?

Big reason these players like dow/lob/setterfield are who they are, got given games when they should have been getting developed at lower levels.

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wrote I think a week ago about expectations potentially becoming an issue.

We were not expected to be that good early in the season, but we were. We were not expected to be in contention for top 4, but we were. We were able to deal with injuries longer than we thought we would before we dropped away. Our smalls inside 50 - Durdin, Mots, Honey - are a few years away: Fisher is a makeshift half forward, and Owies a battler in there for pressure. Our wings have been a revolving door, without any level of consistent performance due to a change of personnel and/or the replacements - whoever they are - being below AFL quality.

If you had said that we expected to beat Brisbane - who are top 4 - away, with two of our starting 4 mids out, Newman out, you'd be laughed at. So, at some point - let's say, round 3-4 - we all adjusted our expectations. We looked up, started to trust.

Let me put it this way: we were never going to beat them up there!

We stand a better chance of knocking of Melbourne and Collingwood than we did this week, because home ground advantage is huge in the AFL. They pulverise sides up there. They can score up there like no-ones business. This is usually where someone could reply with, "hang on, didn't they lose to essendon up there, almost lost to the Aints?", in which case the response is this: in the former, they had a good 8 of the 22 missing from covid, and the Aints aren't that bad when they're on. Playing with a real home ground advantage is of huge benefit when you're good, because it lets you bank wins at home against poor to medium opposition, and they're pretty ******* good.

I'm encouraged some by the final term, but we picked the only year in which 12 wins are not enough to make finals to do this. We need to drag just one, and we're on our way.

Dare to hope, just for two more weeks. Dare, and dream of better days.

Not an unexpected loss, just didn’t expect us to capitulate like that.

When 2 of your senior defenders are shanking passes for turnover goals, the rot sets quickly.

Brizzy just sat on us for the skill turnover, & as we play footy in a phone booth, no one is manned & the eventual turnover kills us.

That’s about it.

Roll on Demons.

I don’t want us to make finals and play this way. But I also don’t want to miss finals after being so close to achieving it all season.

Ultimately, ill be pleased if we make finals and proud of the group for breaking the trend. A lot of emotional commentary in here is understandable, yet we’d all be rapt to have a berth. But something has to give because we’ve been struggling for 5-6 weeks now. Everything seems so off.

Utter rubbish. We were slaughtered in the ruck which led to those last three goals. Love TDK but he’s super tired.

So what? Plenty of teams are struggling for rucks right now. Geelong have made a sport of playing without a genuine ruckman and sit on top of the ladder. Collingwood's number 1 ruck has missed all of their 11 straight wins.

Losing a tap is one thing... having the ball run clean throuhg the middle for a goal three straight times, with the game on the line... there's no excuse. IF the ruckman is tired and struggling to compete, then the players around have to adjust and ours simply didn't lay a hand on Brisbane on 3 consecutive crucial possessions.

Plenty of excuses though. We're number one in the league for excuses... year after year after year.

ecoperformance.gif

Least I can says i haven't been this stage out of losing emotional investment in team at this stage of the season in years.

So that is something
Just play the kids for the rest of the season, even if we somehow Bradbury our way into the finals, we would just get steamrolled anyway

Send the players who need off season surgery to get it already and plan for season 2023 already.

Embrace being #eco and start the pragmatic approach of preparing for season 2023 and beyond.

What a bloody joke time for the coaches to sit them down and explain that you can have talent,skill,poise but if you don't have aggression at the contest and a will to put your body on the line at all costs you aren't ever going to be going anywhere in this competition.

We also have a habit of making mediocre players look like the next coming of G.Ablett(God) in McStay,Membrery,Bruce etc they always kill us you watch Melbourne play Weideman next week and he will kick 5-6 goals and let the tradition continue.

Voss needs to let them take training this week and have a real one on one team talk and see who isn't willing to put in the hard yards and * them off out of the place as the performance levels of late really have been below par for a team that should be playing finals.

Docherty,Saad,Cripps,Cerra,McGovern,Weitering,Walsh,Fisher all were ok and tried hard but the damage was done and we just did not have enough firepower left to get back into it once we got 6 goals in a row and our mids got smashed the last 5 mins.

A lot needs to change for us to be even be competitive against Melbourne and Collingwood over the next 2 weeks especially if that campaigner Christian gives Cripps weeks for attacking the ball in the air just watch him get 3 so we appeal and it will still be a week.

Please show something next week Carlton as all that hard work during the year is a waste of effort if we can't make the 8.
GO BLUES!

Back