Autopsy 2022 Rd 21 Last quarter surge masks woeful performance

Who wishes I'd stop stuffing around with this poll after a loss?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Unpopular opinion incoming.

I of course was disappointed with today and our game last week, but we've achieved 12 wins and have had a great season despite being at times decimated by injury. Been in the 8 practically all year, if not all year. Exciting brand of footy to watch. This season is a success even if we lose the next 2 games and miss out on finals purely due to percentage.

Go Blues.

The exciting brand of footy is long gone.Coaches have worked us out.Win clearances and stop Harry/Charlie game over.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Voss did very little to change anything, we have been smashed in the middle for weeks on end & the rest of our game falls to pieces when it happens.
Game plan is anyones guess at the moment, our ball movement is non existent.
The clangers, broken tackles, s**t efforts etc is all on the players.
Basically used the same 3 mids in the centre all game and got flogged.

Obviously doesn't rate a couple in today's team and refuses to play them in their best spots

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Voss did very little to change anything, we have been smashed in the middle for weeks on end & the rest of our game falls to pieces when it happens.

Is anyone else concerned that all Voss mentions in press conferences regarding reasons for our loss last and this week is contest work? Doesn't mention our spectacular skill errors, lack of spread or unwillingness to shut down the opposition. I put that loss and last week down to alot more then losing clearance.

He said we lacked energy. And that we weren’t up to it when the whips were cracking.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not sure about 'easily'.

They will beat GWS. Hawks in TAS they could lose if Hawks bring their best but Dogs will start favourites.

The way we're going and with Cripps likely suspended we are no chance of beating Melbourne and underdogs against Collingwood.

Whilst I think we miss the 8,the dogs aren’t going that well either.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I of course was disappointed with today and our game last week, but we've achieved 12 wins and have had a great season despite being at times decimated by injury. Been in the 8 practically all year, if not all year. Exciting brand of footy to watch. This season is a success even if we lose the next 2 games and miss out on finals purely due to percentage.

Go Blues.

Glass half full I agree with you.

Most games we've won in a year since 2013 I think. Our style of play in the first 10 rounds was fantastic...we've been worked out a bit but I think a big injury list has taken it's toll over the course of the season.

While it would be disappointing to miss finals after being in the 8 all year, the difference between just missing or just making it, only to get well beaten in an away elimination final, probably won't have much long-term impact. Anything can happen from one year to the next, just look at Collingwood this year and Essendon who just made finals last year...didn't exactly help them.

He moved players around at different points of the game to get something going. The gameplan at the moment is winning the contest, and if you don’t, beat them on transition. We gave away 24-8 centre clearances. Good luck getting anything going with that

Is anyone else concerned that all Voss mentions in press conferences regarding reasons for our loss last and this week is contest work? Doesn't mention our spectacular skill errors, lack of spread or unwillingness to shut down the opposition. I put that loss and last week down to alot more then losing clearance.
The skills one gets me. I'm not bagging any of the coaches, but I think there needs to be an adjustment somewhere (in players, training, and maybe coaching makeup). And maybe behind closed doors Voss and Co are working on that. But it seems like we're just not clean enough...

This soft draw rubbish is plain wrong. By finishing 13th last year and getting a bottom 6 draw we should have received an "easy" draw. However we play Tigers, Pies and Dockers twice who all finished out of the 8 last year but have improved significantly on the ladder (all now top 8). Also travel 6 times (including two in a row, for some reason).
I did say “early”. Before the bye the only team above us that we beat was Sydney. We lost to Freo and Collingwood. We didn’t play anyone else in the 8 except Richmond. Since the bye…

So what? Plenty of teams are struggling for rucks right now. Geelong have made a sport of playing without a genuine ruckman and sit on top of the ladder. Collingwood's number 1 ruck has missed all of their 11 straight wins.

Losing a tap is one thing... having the ball run clean throuhg the middle for a goal three straight times, with the game on the line... there's no excuse. IF the ruckman is tired and struggling to compete, then the players around have to adjust and ours simply didn't lay a hand on Brisbane on 3 consecutive crucial possessions.

Plenty of excuses though. We're number one in the league for excuses... year after year after year.
Our mids this week were Cripps, Walsh and Cerra. Others will talk of Fisher, Dow, Setterfield but reality is our top three have everything and didn’t have enough mates.
The last three goals were not on them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you make it you deserve it

Our only chance is hawks beating the dogs. 40/60 chance?

Remember us getting pumped in a final by the lions by 75 points in 1999. 2 weeks later we sunk the unsinkable titanic brave drug cheats in a prelim.

Funny things can happen in footy if you get the attitude right.

Does it annoy anyone else that Walsh runs 20m the wrong way to get a handball from gov after a free kick and then bombs it away?

Rather than padding your stats Walsh, go up the field and become another option for gov to kick to or be ready to rove the long kick.

He is playing some real selfish football ATM. Even Eddie highlighted and mentioned it a few times.

Yeah I didn't like him getting a number of cheap handball receives. Haven't noticed it much before but I did today.
Would much prefer he use his running power to hurt his opponents and open up another option down field when we have too many numbers behind the ball.
Watching Nick Daicos run his guts out Friday night in the last quarter to create an option even though didn't get used was such a difference to what we see. O'Brien had one really good effort that they highlighted on the broadcast. But they seem few and far between.

The skills one gets me. I'm not bagging any of the coaches, but I think there needs to be an adjustment somewhere (in players, training, and maybe coaching makeup). And maybe behind closed doors Voss and Co are working on that. But it seems like we're just not clean enough...
What is it about 6 or so players not being AFL grade and never will be - that you don't get mate?

That is the hand Voss has been dealt to play with all year- on top off a massive run of injuries.

He has given fringe players every opportunity to show what they've got this year and has had a good look at what they've got.

These are the games when a fringe player can elevate themselves to worthy status or not.

Go Blues.

I'll counter this with: our best 7 players (Cripps, Walsh, Curnow, McKay, Docherty, Saad, Weitering) have missed a total of 5 games between them with injury.

The injuries we have suffered are either predictable (McGovern/Marchbank/Martin etc) or guys who really don't add much (Philp?). There's been a few injuries to Pittonet (who was in good form, but prior hadn't cemented his spot as a best 22 player), Williams (semi-predictble) and at the end of the year Hewitt, but really, if you take out the guys who were already massive injury concerns we've probably broken even in terms of injury luck (did you seriously think we were getting a Coleman medal from Curnow and a full season from Docherty? That's probably worth the Pitto/Weitering/Hewitt injuries 10x over).

And if you take out our first 2.5 weeks (excitement under a new coach, plus Bulldogs/Richmond not quite being ready) we're likely to end up going 9-10.

Add Docherty, Curnow, Hewitt and Cerra and that makes us 1 win better than last year's season, which was apparently SO terrible we sacked the coach and implemented a club-wide review?

That's why it is disappointing. This is a list and team built to compete now, and they've screwed it up massively... and who knows what next... players don't stick around to lose forever

Can we all just take a moment to appreciate the special level of stupidity that is Cripps' hit on Ah Chee? Utterly unnecessary in the context of the game, and likely to be a 2 week suspension (barring AFL shenanigans to keep him in for the round 23 blockbuster/train wreck).

If, as seems likely, we complete the mother of all chokes and miss finals by losing to Collingwood in the last match of the season after being 10-4 at the bye, there should be a reckoning. And the 'captain' of the sinking ship, who managed to get himself suspended in a misguided act of aggression in a blowout loss, surely has to wear the brunt of that.

To say it is one of the dumbest things I've seen a Carlton player do - well, it actually might not be because we're an absolute rabble of a club and have been for two decades... but given the context and how much is riding on the last two weeks, it is up there with Judd's pressure points and Fev's brownlow antics for me (and lets not forget how badly those two events combined to tank our last 'rebuild').
It was really dumb, but Cripps is capable of some stupidity.

Was actually a strange circuit breaker. Lions really went into their shell for 20 minutes. We scored some well crafted, quick goals and for the first time put ourselves into a position we could win the game.

The first quarter was excruciating with the lack of intent and usual dropped marks and being outpointed by McKay. It’s worrying how easily his opponents (Jordan Butts last week?) dominate him at the start of games.

Until we do something about our ability to transition out of defence we are going to struggle. Our strong contested midfield game style masked this at the start of the season, but its been a problem for some time now.
With Williams and Boyd unavailable and Saad either being tagged (last week) or playing a lockdown role (this week) we have zero run or creativity. Stagnant up the field, limited switching, rarely use short lead up play and almost never hit a 45. We play slow until we are stuck in a corner than slam it down the line (usually under pressure) and hope for a contested pack mark, if we don't get it we are always left exposed on the rebound.

Small positives from today:
I thought Youngs time in the ruck was good, and a better option as relief than Jsos.
Silvagni looked like a genuine defensive option, whilst not quick, has the creativity by foot to open the ground up.
Gov has made it through two games in a row, and his defending has impressed me. He's also our best field kick and needs to take it on more.
Fisher up around the ball gives us a spark our midfield lacks otherwise.
Walsh's willingness to run, even when 10 goals down simply amazes me (not sure why he's the only player in the afl that doesn't seem to get prior opportunity when tackled)
Weitering best game back since injury. Good to see him going for marks again, not just the spoil everytime.
Harry's last quarter is the first time I've seen him attack the contest in week. His first 3 quarters were awful. Hopefully it can be highlighted to him that when he attacks the ball he's every chance of winning a mark/free kick or at least bringing the ball to ground and giving us a chance.

Outside of that we've completely gone into our shell, we spent 5 weeks midseason covering for a depleted backline that we seem so scared about losing a game we've stopped trying to win it. Backline as mentioned before lacks any dare, forward line structure has been wrong, our talls playing stagnant and to far off the play.

We need one win from the remaining two games. Our finals have started early. Cripps is likely out... ball is still in our court. Lets see who stands up.

I did say “early”. Before the bye the only team above us that we beat was Sydney. We lost to Freo and Collingwood. We didn’t play anyone else in the 8 except Richmond. Since the bye…
We could have been 0-6 but for some luck.

How different our year and Voss would look had that happened.

What kills me is Voss has allowed us to play snail paced footy lately which allows teams to flood back and then we have no hope.

Today Lewis Young took an intercept mark and took around 20 seconds to move the ball.

Every kick in they were already in their zone before we attempted a kick in.

Watch Collingwood and watch us and it is night and day.

I would prefer to get beat taking the game on than surrendering before we even start.

Back