Autopsy 2022 Rd 21 Last quarter surge masks woeful performance

Who wishes I'd stop stuffing around with this poll after a loss?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We rarely if ever see a kick to Harry or Charlie leading up on the wings. And I mean proper leads where they get seperation. McKay always has his man right on his hammer

But too often both of them are in the F50 when we are coming out of the back 50 and we kick it on top of Cripps head or a small who is outnumbered.

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Beautiful ground the Gabba. Close to the action you could see our deficiencies pretty easily

Got smashed on the turnovers and cut to ribbons on transition.

Also lost important CB clearance and were out tackled when it mattered.

Question putting JSOS to FB when we already had 4 sized KPD back there….

Young is an absolute liability with ball in the air and also on the ground….the guy who dominated a month or so ago is gone.

Gov had a shocker. Marchy was ok considering we conceded 100 plus points

Forward of centre we have zero confidence. Setters LOB et all butchered the footy on forward 50 when it would of been easier to take the shot FFS

Last quarter meant nothing to me personally….

Absolutely numb…last week was worse and I think it totally sucked the confidence from the group

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Positional Changes I would like to see for next week.

Young- Forward/Ruck
Silvagni- Back
McGovern- Full Back
Pittonett- Ruck
TDK- Managed
Honey- Martin at Half Forward
Stocker- Setterfield on ball
Newnes- Wing

Then you are rewarding Carrol for poor VFL form, how is that helping player development?

Big reason these players like dow/lob/setterfield are who they are, got given games when they should have been getting developed at lower levels.

Development entails more than being given a regular run in the seniors to reach AFL standard. It also requires hard work in the Gym to develop an AFL standard physique. You may then be more competitive in one on one situations and stick more tackles. Lob setters Dow etc have not progressed at all in this department. Skill enough wont cut the mustard (not that they are our most skilled players)

There is something smelly about our club, that hasn't been fixed yet...

3x Coaches Bolton, Teague and Voss - Haven't been able to get anything out of our group...

We can't be keep blaming the coach...
It's either one/or all of, our list isn't talented enough, our whole list is mentally weak or they just think they want it, but don't really want it...

When the pressure is on our core group s**t the bed...

Weitering, Motlop, Saad, McGovern, O'Brien & Walsh can hold their heads up they tried and performed all day...

IMO we’re mentally weak compared to other teams. Talent only takes you so far in any occupation.

We could have been 0-6 but for some luck.

How different our year and Voss would look had that happened.

What kills me is Voss has allowed us to play snail paced footy lately which allows teams to flood back and then we have no hope.

Today Lewis Young took an intercept mark and took around 20 seconds to move the ball.

Every kick in they were already in their zone before we attempted a kick in.

Watch Collingwood and watch us and it is night and day.

I would prefer to get beat taking the game on than surrendering before we even start.

Pies’ season would also be very different if they’d lost some close ones so i don’t buy the 0-6.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

As dumb as the Cripps piece of play was it is pretty much exactly the same as Willie rioli early this year accept riolis looked even worse and he got off.
A few major differences.
Rowell kept playing is the most obvious one, but also, Willie Rioli was enter a marking contest so a tackle wasn't an option, where as with Cripps the ball was in open play, tackle was an option, he chose to bump, he'll do time. Just hope we can get away with just two weeks.

I didn’t watch last weeks game scrolled through to see Kennedy hit 5 minutes 4 quarter 7 points down Fischer non preferred right foot no pressure kicks directly to Adelaide twice as good ad as cost is any chance same today panic merchant

I’m willing to cut McGovern some slack.

He’s still only 4-5 games (and a couple at Adelaide) into playing as a defender and is going to need some development defensively.

Some of his decision making was poor, but his positioning was good. Gets into attacking positions quickly and can clearly kick long and accurately - being a 3rd or 4th tall he is probably used to training kicking to targets inside 50, and he’s just applying that in general play.

GWS did (are?) doing a similar thing with Himmelburg.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m willing to cut McGovern some slack.

He’s still only 4-5 games (and a couple at Adelaide) into playing as a defender and is going to need some development defensively.

Some of his decision making was poor, but his positioning was good. Gets into attacking positions quickly and can clearly kick long and accurately - being a 3rd or 4th tall he is probably used to training kicking to targets inside 50, and he’s just applying that in general play.

GWS did (are?) doing a similar thing with Himmelburg.
I loved his leap and grab from a long handball, would have been a decent mark if it was from a kick

There is something smelly about our club, that hasn't been fixed yet...

3x Coaches Bolton, Teague and Voss - Haven't been able to get anything out of our group...

We can't be keep blaming the coach...
It's either one/or all of, our list isn't talented enough, our whole list is mentally weak or they just think they want it, but don't really want it...

When the pressure is on our core group s**t the bed...

Weitering, Motlop, Saad, McGovern, O'Brien & Walsh can hold their heads up they tried and performed all day...

Reckon Walsh was poor.

Demanded the ball repeatedly when he wasn't a reasonable option and kicked blindly repeatedly.

They had 50% more inside 50's.

If I had to come up with an acronym to describe us, it would be s**t.

Slow, Hesitant, Irresolute, Turn-over-merchants.

Reckon Walsh was poor.

Demanded the ball repeatedly when he wasn't a reasonable option and kicked blindly repeatedly.
Been doing that for over a month. Just accumulating and not having much impact (2nd half v gws was back to being damaging)

40 touches last week and had next to no impact on the game.

No way in hell were beating Melbourne without Cripps, Kennedy & Hewitt so its all or nothing in the final round against the worst side in the 8 who keep tin arsing they way across the line.

Regardless though, if were scraping in without a win were going to get pants in the final we play anyways unless we suddenly get newman, williams, hewitt back and some players start to find some touch.
Worst side in the eight....the have won 11 GAMES IN A ROW. Eleven. Not 4, not 5, not 8 but 11. You do not fluke your way to 11 wins on a row.

Against Melbourne although they were only 5 points up with 5 minutes to go, Melbourne did not look like scoring at all. Not once, didn't even get close. Collingwood absolutely strangled the living daylights out of Melbourne for a full 5 minutes to end the game.

Let's stop kidding ourselves. If we be Collingwood it would be purely a remarkable form reversal and we have found our form from the first ten rounds, nothing less.

A few major differences.
Rowell kept playing is the most obvious one, but also, Willie Rioli was enter a marking contest so a tackle wasn't an option, where as with Cripps the ball was in open play, tackle was an option, he chose to bump, he'll do time. Just hope we can get away with just two weeks.
But it was a defacto marking situation (I.e. Ball was in the air from a spoil) Cockatoo didn't have the ball when cripps jumped so he couldn't tackle him. Although a mark wouldn't have been paid it was exactly the same as a marking situation. So far Leigh matthews, Jonno Brown, Luke hodge and Michael voss have all said it was in game incident. I'm happy to respect their view.

Worst side in the eight....the have won 11 GAMES IN A ROW. Eleven. Not 4, not 5, not 8 but 11. You do not fluke your way to 11 wins on a row.

Against Melbourne although they were only 5 points up with 5 minutes to go, Melbourne did not look like scoring at all. Not once, didn't even get close. Collingwood absolutely strangled the living daylights out of Melbourne for a full 5 minutes to end the game.

Let's stop kidding ourselves. If we be Collingwood it would be purely a remarkable form reversal and we have found our form from the first ten rounds, nothing less.

Collingwood: take the dangerous kick into the corridor and then attack at every opportunity

Carlton: can’t chase, close up space or keep up with their man

This has bloodbath written all over it, especially if it means they knock us out of the 8.

Back