Preview 2022 Rd 22 Carlton vs Melbourne Saturday August 13 7:25PM @ MCG - Team Post #537

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Bulldogs beat them not so long ago. Why can't we?

We have stars on every line. If the players apply themselves then we are a shot.

We made Brisbane, who have been struggling, look like premiers last week - just look at how they are going tonight against the Saints!

Sadly we are just horribly out of form at the moment and I’m not sure we are able to rediscover the early season so I think we’ll lose.

Last edited:
We made Brisbane, who have been struggling, look like premiers last week - just look at how they are going tonight against the Saints!

Sadly we are not just horribly out of form at the moment and I’m not sure we are able to rediscover their early season so I think we’ll lose.
Brisbane are a different team away though.

We have stars on every line. If the players apply themselves then we are a shot.
i dont wanna sound negative but when dogs get going they can play good footy and match it with the best...probably bar cats.

In our current state we cant for whatever reason. early in season we played some beuatuful footy but unfortunately its now gone and injuries havent helped.

'what colour unicorn do you want?'

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app
All of them. All of the unicorns in all of the colours. Don't make me go all Veruca Salt!

I actually don't care how s**t we'd be in finals - I think just getting there would be a psychological boost given our expectations at the beginning of the year.

That said I think I will have to do a business trip which will have me arriving home gf morning. Which is virtually a guarantee we'll be there and I'll have to somehow get from the airport to the game in time

They've got us covered between the arcs- nowhere else - but that is where it counts.

put Kennedy and Hewett back in and it is a 50/50 game.

Sadly we are not just horribly out of form at the moment and I’m not sure we are able to rediscover their early season so I think we’ll lose.

Brisbane had something like 31 shots on goal and only scored 12.9 81 - if they didn’t miss so many out on the full they would have won more comfortably. Of course had King not been so bad then the Saints could have stolen a win but overall from looking at the stats it seems the Lions outplayed the Saints across the ground just like they did against us.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel like this is us for the next two weeks!

Realistically our best hope of making the 8 is Hawthorn beating the Dogs in the last round coz those last 2 losses were just so bad I just can’t see us winning at the moment.

Ironically if we scrap into the finals we’ll get the bye to refresh and regroup the squad and with a bit of luck Hewett will be available and we might just surprise but I just can’t see it happening.

Last edited:
Realistically our best hope of making the 8 is Hawthorn beating the Dogs in the last round coz those last 2 losses were just so bad I just can’t see us winning at the moment.

Ironically if we scrap into the finals we’ll get the bye to refresh the regroup the squad and with a bit of luck Hewett will be available and we might just surprise but I just can’t see it happening.
There is a little bit in the Giants/Dogs rivalry as well, Toby Greene not playing doesn’t help us though.

Turn my back for 5 minutes and doom and gloom took over, with a small reprieve with Cripps suspension being overturned. Really missing the likes of Hewett, Kennedy, Newman, Boyd, Williams. These players have a point of difference, in hardness or speed

Think it's the best side we can field with the players available. Good to see Stocker in the side, thought we lacked 1 extra defender to play on smalls last week, which also hurt Saad's efficiency. Over the last 2 weeks, I get that our backline has pressed further up the ground to support our mids, but I feel we either pressed too high and or too bunched. If we want to continue with that tactic, someone like Gov needs to sit deeper back as a sweeper, rather than allowing the opposition to have free access behind our back 6

Weiters, Young to take Brown and the resting ruck, Weitering will generally take the deeper forward. Marchbank to Fritsch, the rest of the backline to take their smalls. When Pertracca is resting forward, I would send Gov to him, if he pushes forward to the stoppage, handover to Doc.

Forward line, we need to create space so May, Lever and Petty just can't intercept with ease. Langdon will play on the far wing, Cotts the likely matchup, but early on I would play him on the opposite wing and let him hunt the footy more.

If it's wet, we need to win the territory battle at all costs, dirty ball, long ball, etc, just get it in our forward half. Actually play inside their wings if it is wet, and if they do get to the outside, given the conditions the transition will be slowed and less likely damaging

Tough ask, but break anywhere close to even in clearances and contested ball and we have a chance

Last edited:
Turn my back for 5 minutes and doom and gloom took over, with a small reprieve with Cripps suspension being overturned. Really missing the likes of Hewett, Kennedy, Newman, Boyd, Williams. These players have a point of difference, in hardness or speed

Think it's the best side we can field with the players available. Good to see Stocker in the side, thought we lacked 1 extra defender to play on smalls last week, which also hurt Saad's efficiency. Over the last 2 weeks, I get that our backline has pressed further up the ground to support our mids, but I feel we either pressed too high and or too bunched. If we want to continue with that tactic, someone like Gov needs to sit deeper back as a sweeper, rather than allowing the opposition to have free access behind our back 6

Weiters, Young to take Brown and the resting ruck, Weitering will generally take the deeper forward. Marchbank to Fritsch, the rest of the backline to take their smalls. When Pertracca is resting forward, I would send Gov to him, if he pushes forward to the stoppage, handover to Doc.

Forward line, we need to create space so May, Lever and Petty just can't intercept with ease. Langdon will play on the far wing, Cotts the likely matchup, but early on I would play him on the opposite wing and let him hunt the footy more.

If it's wet, we need to win the territory battle at all costs, dirty ball, long ball, etc, just get it in our forward half. Actually play inside their wings if it is wet, and if they do get to the outside, given the conditions the transition will be slowed and less likely damaging

Tough ask, but break anywhere close to even in clearances and contested ball and we have a chance
Great post but in our last 2 losses we’ve leaked on average 67 inside 50’s (65 v Crows, 69 Lions). Unless we can get clearances or fix the wings, Harmes, Doull, Hunter and Southby can be back there and it will count for Zippo. Hence why I think Doch to the midfield (wing?) and Stocker back, JSOS hard tag on Petracca or Oliver. Otherwise the supply their gifted forwards will get will just overwhelm us.

Great post but in our last 2 losses we’ve leaked on average 67 inside 50’s (65 v Crows, 69 Lions). Unless we can get clearances or fix the wings, Harmes, Doull, Hunter and Southby can be back there and it will count for Zippo. Hence why I think Doch to the midfield (wing?) and Stocker back, JSOS hard tag on Petracca or Oliver. Otherwise the supply their gifted forwards will get will just overwhelm us.

Between the arcs has been poor recently, for a number of reason. We have stopped frontal pressure at a stoppage, either over or under used the ball and we have struggled to control the ball/tempo. If we are sending Jsos to play in the middle, I would play him on Oliver and allow Cripps/Cerra to hunt the ball

Doc, Martin, Fisher, Durdin playing cameos at centre bounces would help with a point of difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back