Autopsy 2022 Rd 23 Choked again. Season Done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaches' Votes

10 - Patrick Cripps (CARL)
5 -
Scott Pendlebury (COLL)
5 - Sam Docherty (CARL)
4 - Adam Cerra (CARL)
4 -
Brayden Maynard (COLL)
1 - Josh Daicos (COLL)
1 - Darcy Moore (COLL)
Wow, 4+0 for both Cerra and Maynard... that'll be coaches going with their own, for sure :)

AFL level qualified ump who critiques umpiring performance on Twitter was very clear that it shouldn’t have been a free kick however as you said believed the umpire was likely blindsided.

This shits me though. If you haven’t got a clear view then don’t call it
You wouldn't be paying many free kicks then as you are always blindsighted in some way.

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app

You can acknowledge that we have ourselves to blame, we should have been more composed and nailed our chances, while also acknowledging that a number of terrible umpiring decisions effected the score.

Never acknowledged the umpires made a number of terrible umpire decisions. Just indicated we can’t blame the umpires for our loss.

I get that umpires make mistakes, but through the course of any given game it flows both ways. Supporters from both opposing teams tend to blame umpires. What does that say? When the result doesn’t go our way, we tend to be selective with umpiring decisions.

Overall, if we’re to become a truly gun team, we can’t point to umpiring decisions when things don’t go our way. If we nailed our chances in that 4th quarter, poor umpiring decisions wouldn’t matter. I’d be concerned if our success moving forward was contingent upon umpires.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Chris Scott took over a team in 2011 that had finished 2nd in 2010 and won premierships in 2007 and 2009. Their premiership window had started way before Scott got there. Voss was always going to need time to implement his game style and the injuries would not have helped that.
Scott was aiming for a flag and Voss was aiming for finals. Why aim for the middle? Baffling.

Respectfully disagree.
Have a look at our age demographic. We are a year or two away from that 'Premiership' window.
Compare our age demo to the teams in the top 4.
Its been done before why not have a go at it? It’s certainly not going to happen if no one is driving it and instilling the belief that it can be done. The smoke is everywhere that this was not the message being driven at the club.

Its been done before why not have a go at it? It’s certainly not going to happen if no one is driving it and instilling the belief that it can be done. The smoke is everywhere that this was not the message being driven at the club.

I am confused. How does the list Chris Scott took over in 2011, which had won a flag in 2009, which had 11 players in that 28+ experience/maturity, resemble our level of maturity/readiness this year?

And what smoke?

We lost because we weren’t composed when it mattered most. Same against the Dees. Even Vossy alluded to that.

The umpire wasn’t taking those kicks when we kicked 0 goals, 6 points in the last quarter.

If we’re pointing the finger at umpire we’re never going to become a really good team. Thing about blaming umpires is that it’s always very selective and generally ignores decisions that go our way throughout a match.

For what it’s worth, thought the players were awesome on Sunday. Sunny days ahead.

Over the past 3 days I’ve pointed the finger at the umpires Collingwood and Carlton.

In the end I’m blaming us. 2 x goalless quarters, being 4 goals up in the last and a few bad decisions/options made by our players.

To be a genuine top 8 team these things can’t happen like they do.

I am confused. How does the list Chris Scott took over in 2011, which had won a flag in 2009, which had 11 players in that 28+ experience/maturity, resemble our level of maturity/readiness this year?

And what smoke?
That list was in a premiership window and so is carltons right now. That’s how.

The stated goal was to make the top 8 and they played like it.

That list was in a premiership window and so is carltons right now. That’s how.

The stated goal was to make the top 8 and they played like it was.

We were not in a flag window this year.

Next year, absolutely, no excuses to miss the 8 and the goal should be a top 4 finish.

From there, anything can happen

Over the past 3 days I’ve pointed the finger at the umpires Collingwood and Carlton.

In the end I’m blaming us. 2 x goalless quarters, being 4 goals up in the last and a few bad decisions/options made by our players.

To be a genuine top 8 team these things can’t happen like they do.
These things happened to Richmond before they came good. We’ll learn and come back better.

Never acknowledged the umpires made a number of terrible umpire decisions. Just indicated we can’t blame the umpires for our loss.

I get that umpires make mistakes, but through the course of any given game it flows both ways. Supporters from both opposing teams tend to blame umpires. What does that say? When the result doesn’t go our way, we tend to be selective with umpiring decisions.

Overall, if we’re to become a truly gun team, we can’t point to umpiring decisions when things don’t go our way. If we nailed our chances in that 4th quarter, poor umpiring decisions wouldn’t matter. I’d be concerned if our success moving forward was contingent upon umpires.

We should have won and do blame ourselves but you can’t ignore the obvious In discrepancy decisions that contributed to the end result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were not in a flag window this year.

Next year, absolutely, no excuses to miss the 8 and the goal should be a top 4 finish.

From there, anything can happen
Playing wise were capable of winning it this year.

Mindset, belief and goals were not aligned to that reality. And that’s the fault of the coaches and leaders.

Playing wise were capable of winning it this year.

Mindset, belief and goals were not aligned to that reality. And that’s the fault of the coaches and leaders.

No, IMHO it was your unrealistic expectations, thinking the side this year had the maturity, experience, continuity to win a flag

Has nothing to do with mindset, belief or goals not aligning

They also had more injuries to key players. Their defensive system had also been bedded down over an number of years, so attacking gears was a minor layer in the totality of their current gameplan
Your football
Wow and I thought I was taking the loss badly....

This is garbage. We were younger than every team not in the bottom 6 this season.

Almost all flags are won by teams with several veterans/leaders in their thirties. Our oldest important player is 28.

We are primed for a run at it over the next few years.
The best players in this team are 25 to 29 next year, aside from Walsh. Right now, they could as easily miss the premiership window as win a premiership. This group is not entitled to ultimate success and it is a distinct possibility that the window closes and we need to rebuild

No, IMHO it was your unrealistic expectations, thinking the side this year had the maturity, experience, continuity to win a flag

Has nothing to do with mindset, belief or goals not aligning
Completely disagree

The second have of the season shows we need improvements on all fronts....

list, fitness/strength, game plan, some overall team wide footy smarts and game awareness and having some idea about what to do in close finishes...

having a good plan to hold a small lead in the last couple of minutes is crucial as the competition is so even nowadays.

It’s mindboggling how a relatively short player like Elliot was allowed to take a specky in the dying moment with the number of talls we had ANd with so many in the vicinity of that play. No way filth gave us that much freedom in our f50.
Cripps mark that was paid a free against, cameron wasnt going up against cripps and would have been an uncontested mark in our f50

AFL level qualified ump who critiques umpiring performance on Twitter was very clear that it shouldn’t have been a free kick however as you said believed the umpire was likely blindsided.

This shits me though. If you haven’t got a clear view then don’t call it
How can you know you've got clear vision, though?

Cripps mark that was paid a free against, cameron wasnt going up against cripps and would have been an uncontested mark in our f50
Yeah cripps found some freedom there but I'm talking about a big hole surrounded by navy blue jumpers but still elliot found enough space to run up and take a leap onto one of our tallest players in Young. Someone needed to come in and put a bit of body into elliot or at least put a fist on the ball. Elliot is know for his leaping marking....he shouldnt have been given that space in front.

Yeah cripps found some freedom there but I'm talking about a big hole surrounded by navy blue jumpers but still elliot found enough space to run up and take a leap onto one of our tallest players in Young. Someone needed to come in and put a bit of body into elliot or at least put a fist on the ball. Elliot is know for his leaping marking....he shouldnt have been given that space in front.

but we did get space which is what you said collingwood didnt allow. he had two pies players around him and 'marked' it uncontested.

Agree though, Marchbank stuffed up by not going with his man and expecting someone else to punch it - you cant do that, gotta go when your man goes.

Completely disagree
We can all have different opinions here, so nobody is "right", but I certainly see no evidence that Carlton were capable of winning the flag this year. We had good quarters here and there....also some shockers. You see this with up and coming teams that their best looks great and gets you excited, but they have terrible troughs. That was certainly evident at the start of the year. By the end of the year we had reduced the variability a bit, but still didn't beat any of the top teams towards the end of the year. We are a team of potential, but there is no evidence to suggest we could put in three or four performances in September to win the GF. Not yet anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back