Autopsy 2022 Rd 9 Blues show Giant heart to win interstate

Who played well for the Blues in Round 9 vs the Giants?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Tell that to Mitchell Santner.
I know the feeling.

I was having a rotten season and couldn't buy a run, at the club after a game someone asked our skipper why I was still being picked, I wasn't offended because it was a fair question, and he said "Because Coops is an unbelievable fielder and that's so useful."

I ended up scoring runs 2 or 3 games later, but my fielding kept me in the side far longer than I otherwise deserved to be.

So yes to a point you can be picked on tackling and defensive pressure, especially as a pressure key forward. Jack Silvagni was picked on effort and defensive acts for years. Now he's added the layers of offensive ability to his game more consistently. Worst case it helps give you a longer string to hang on to.

Shoutout to Fisher. I didn't have many expectations for him this season and he seemed to have stagnated. It looks like he's dropped his left and right shimmy movement and then running into trouble from his repertoire. He's been extremely impressive the last month, creating lots of options and transitioning the ball by foot or by hand quickly and precisely. It looks like he's focusing on quick forward movement and he's also taking his chances when shooting for goal.

Is on 9 goals, a career high in a season. 20 odd goals and 20 touches a game in a full season would be a great year

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This!!

Makes a big difference when the ball isn’t coming in a billion miles an hour while you’re defending the oppositions best small.

The benefit of those years is he can handle that speed, the negative is it killed his attacking mindset.

I reckon he has it and we will see it continually get better.

Imo Plow is a tough, reliable defender. I’m happy if he’s in the team. If we get everyone back and healthy, he’s under severe pressure.

I do think at times he goes to corral like Setterfield but when he plays hard and backs his marking which is very good and runs through congestion he has more upside. Too often for a defender generally you see the downside but his positive traits were really good this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Just home from Sydney last night!!
Wow, 80% of the crowd were Baggers, and we were loud!! Baggers everywhere at Circular Quay all weekend, felt the love and expectation. But didn't expect that dominant result.
I quoted the "Next Man Up" theory of the Philly Eagles in '17, and the result of that, gut feeling is that we might just be the sneaky team in September this year. Remember Melbourne are on a 16 game winning streak, well not really, because (even though it was only a practice game) the Blues were the last team to beat them...... and that form is starting to stack up.
Unbelievable feeling to be at Giants Stadium Sunday, I've seen five live Premierships and was at '99 Prelim, but honestly that game is probably the best home and away game I've attended from a statement perspective.
And the statement I want to put out there is, " Get on this mob for the Flag"

A very pumped Dirty......

Wow, 80% of the crowd were Baggers, and we were loud!! Baggers everywhere at Circular Quay all weekend, felt the love and expectation. But didn't expect that dominant result.
I quoted the "Next Man Up" theory of the Philly Eagles in '17, and the result of that, gut feeling is that we might just be the sneaky team in September this year. Remember Melbourne are on a 16 game winning streak, well not really, because (even though it was only a practice game) the Blues were the last team to beat them...... and that form is starting to stack up.
Unbelievable feeling to be at Giants Stadium Sunday, I've seen five live Premierships and was at '99 Prelim, but honestly that game is probably the best home and away game I've attended from a statement perspective.

I kept hearing lots of booing from the crowd through the TV and I thought, “wow, GWS supporters are pretty vocal.” Until I started to pay closer attention and realised the booing was happening whenever a free kick was being awarded to GWS. 😂

Nice glowing endorsement of GWS as a football club in front of Gill and the investors who were at the game. 😂

GWS v Carlton, Giants Stadium​

Leon Cameron’s bid for a winning send-off went close but ultimately failed, as the Blues buried the Giants with five of the last six goals to maintain their spot in the top four. Sam Walsh (two goals, 31 touches) and Matthew Kennedy (one, 27) were busy through the midfield, as was George Hewett (29 disposals). Brayden Preuss had dominance at the ruck hit outs, but that didn’t worry the Blues’ on-ballers, who won the clearances and the territory battle. Without Harry McKay, Charlie Curnow was well held by Sam Taylor, but he kicked two goals early in the final term to open up a match-winning buffer. The win, however, was soured by a suspected ruptured Achilles tendon to Zac Williams, which threatens to end his season. The former Giant went to ground after his left foot gave way in innocuous circumstances, and he was subbed out at quarter-time. - Damien Ractliffe

+1

Plow is in good form. No surprise Marchbank is back on the scene and his position is a little shakier. 2 talls, 1 midsize intercept defender, 1 lockdown (stocker) and 2 rebounders In Saad and Docherty

If Marchbank shows up then Plowman is at risk with poor form. For 7th spot he might have to compete with Z Williams.

Plowmans previous best And fairest results are compromised in that he was a coaches favourite. Aaron Joseph was a favourite of Ratten. Didn’t make Aaron better than what was shown on game day.
Can we see a role for Plow outside the backline?

Obviously he is now a rotation/depth etc but could see him pinch hitting in different roles...

Coaches votes ...

RND 9 - CARLTON v GWS

10 Sam Walsh (CARL)
8 Sam Docherty (CARL)
3 Matthew Kennedy (CARL)
3 George Hewett (CARL)
3 Jacob Weitering (CARL)
Sam Taylor (GWS)
1 Braydon Preuss (GWS)
It's brilliant that we're winning, in these circumstances, and Cripps isn't in the best players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Little dirty pumped too?

Back