VFL 2022 - Reserves Game Day discussion Rnds 1 - 22 (Merged threads)

Remove this Banner Ad

didnt want to chase...is that the one you are talking about?
no - just needed to be the one and do more with that last effort forward down the line - had to get it to a blue somehow but didn't..........

Very frustrating game to watch, as is the case with most reserves football.
Dow and Boyd ready for senior footy if/when possible …
simple assessment is excessively simplistic.........

Josh Cripps may make it as a footballer one day. It won’t be this year.

And JGM is not much chop either.

I can only hope there’s a diamond in the rough somewhere. I trust Curly Austin to have found one, though it ain’t under our noses.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We lose by four points.

A very meh game. Not helped by Marchy being sore and Mirkov going down.

Dow faded in the second half. Willo played much better. Boyd did his best in a ragged defence. Kemp was good when he was playing down back (and terrible when he was up forward)

Setterfield has zero presence. Philp isn’t clean enough. Fogarty is OK but can’t hit a target. Akuei is a mile off. So is Honey (but he has an excuse).

Can’t see us making a change for the AFL (beyond Jack Martin coming back).

The biggest issue is that even if it was precautionary, we should be concerned that Marchbank can’t play out a game.

About to post something along these lines. Didn't see anything that got me excited. Honey seems like it will take a bit. Marchy seems to be made from tissue paper, and I am seriously hoping for Mirk's sake ankle/whatever injury is not too serious. Only Boyd seems like an option if someone is really needed. Willo teases, but it seems to be between the ears, as for some others...

Josh Cripps may make it as a footballer one day. It won’t be this year.

And JGM is not much chop either.

I can only hope there’s a diamond in the rough somewhere. I trust Curly Austin to have found one, though it ain’t under our noses.

I'm not deliberately being mean to say that Josh Cripps' level is A-grade local football. No harm in it, he just doesn't have any particular assets apart from being tall. That's fine, I'm a C-grade reserves local footballer, life goes on.

Our KPF depth is shocking. Curnow, McKay and TDK. That's it, literally.

We need to draft 2x promising young KPFs or a KPF + ruck/KPF.

Genuine question: why doesn't Dow feature in tackle column? Is it the way he was taught to play in juniors? Or is there something in his role that sees minimal to no tackles? It seems to me that if he could add this to his play it would increase his confidence, and probabilities in getting an AFL game. Does he need to find his own tackling coach? Again, genuine question...

Akuei
Genuine question: why doesn't Dow feature in tackle column? Is it the way he was taught to play in juniors? Or is there something in his role that sees minimal to no tackles? It seems to me that if he could add this to his play it would increase his confidence, and probabilities in getting an AFL game. Does he need to find his own tackling coach? Again, genuine question...
He doesn’t hunt the man at all. Doesn’t even seem to occur to him. His mindset seems to be “I haven’t got it and can’t get it so I’ll wait.” He just doesn’t value that part of the game. It’s pretty disappointing. With his explosiveness he could really get after them. I suspect his endurance is so bad that every time he tries that he just can’t run for the next few minutes so doesn’t do it.

I guess that it doesn't help with players coming back from injury being managed at the end of the game (e.g. Marchbank and Honey) means that the remainder will be more fatigued at the end.

Dow and Boyd look ready to go if required. That's about it at the moment.

He’s very young, huge leap from juniors to VFL, having the last name Cripps, i wouldn’t write him off just yet. Farmers kids are usually pretty tough and determine

See my following post. He may make it one day. But it ain’t this year. He’s slow. Struggles to mark it and has zero second efforts. JGM who has been in the system longer is not much better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not deliberately being mean to say that Josh Cripps' level is A-grade local football. No harm in it, he just doesn't have any particular assets apart from being tall. That's fine, I'm a C-grade reserves local footballer, life goes on.

Our KPF depth is shocking. Curnow, McKay and TDK. That's it, literally.

We need to draft 2x promising young KPFs or a KPF + ruck/KPF.

They also need to not be injury prone.

The thing is, Dow, Boyd and Kemp can all come in if we need them. Fog, Setters and to a lesser extent Willo are also there if the injury curse continues to smash us.

The only guys who aren’t going to be playing AFL are Philp, Akuei and Mirkov (who could be out for a chunk of the year).

And hopefully Honey will get a decent run and be ready to go.

So, not overly worried, noting that the KPD/F/Ruck situation is a nightmare that we seem to be somehow covering (touchwood).

Should anyone be surprised that Setterfield lacks presence as a defensive winger as a 193 cm 88-90 kg balanced mid?

Should be splitting duties with Fogarty and getting involved in the stoppages. Looks too lean for how he plays, all in an effort to use his endurance base to keep defensive shape for the team. Bizarre to still see this so much in the VFL.

Look Dow is finding the ball and hitting the score board but 0 tackles today. Can’t have that as an inside mid.

Akuei

He doesn’t hunt the man at all. Doesn’t even seem to occur to him. His mindset seems to be “I haven’t got it and can’t get it so I’ll wait.” He just doesn’t value that part of the game. It’s pretty disappointing. With his explosiveness he could really get after them. I suspect his endurance is so bad that every time he tries that he just can’t run for the next few minutes so doesn’t do it.
He definitely hunts the ball at stoppages, and is super effective at it. He seemed to be trying to get outside and into the chain of possession more at general stoppages, and I think his tackle count reflects that.

Was a slightly below average game in terms of tackle count, with 40% of the players out there right with him, having 1 tackle or less. Great that he's getting into open play more, let's see if he can balance the two out.

Should anyone be surprised that Setterfield lacks presence as a defensive winger as a 193 cm 88-90 kg balanced mid?

Should be splitting duties with Fogarty and getting involved in the stoppages. Looks too lean for how he plays, all in an effort to use his endurance base to keep defensive shape for the team. Bizarre to still see this so much in the VFL.

He definitely hunts the ball at stoppages, and is super effective at it. He seemed to be trying to get outside and into the chain of possession more at general stoppages, and I think his tackle count reflects that.

Was a slightly below average game in terms of tackle count, with 40% of the players out there right with him, having 1 tackle or less. Great that he's getting into open play more, let's see if he can balance the two out.
But how often does a midfielder get 30 possessions and ZERO tackles.... something just doesn't add up. Was he not taught this as a junior?

The thing is, Dow, Boyd and Kemp can all come in if we need them. Fog, Setters and to a lesser extent Willo are also there if the injury curse continues to smash us.

The only guys who aren’t going to be playing AFL are Philp, Akuei and Mirkov (who could be out for a chunk of the year).

And hopefully Honey will get a decent run and be ready to go.

So, not overly worried, noting that the KPD/F/Ruck situation is a nightmare that we seem to be somehow covering (touchwood).

I didn't think jesse m was anywhere near performing well enough to deserve promotion - thankfully wiser heads than mine figured he'd go ok surrounded by our other ballistic forwards..........

Unfortunately nothing has changed with Dow, unless he shows more defensive intent, he won't be called up

I would give Kemp more licence to run and carry

Setters shows intent, but lacks confidence

Willo is still miles off

Honey gets a pass at this stage given the footy he has missed

Marchbank, not surprised he was off early, but yet another injury issue

Boyd the only one that is a class above VFL level

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back