VFL 2022 Reserves

JeremyVanHolden

Debutant
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Saw this on R&W forum from "SeanM" so said I'd share here too, quite a comprehensive overview of the game.

"Without knowing much about Essendon's VFL squad. I think we had a lot more listed players available. At one centre bounce, I looked at our forward line and we had Sinclair, Reid, McLean and Amartey. (All players who have kicked goals as key forwards at AFL level.) Generally there were long periods with the ball locked in Essendon's defensive half. And the Essendon goals tended to come from set shots against the run of play.

1st quarter
  • Unsure who kicked it. Stoppage in the vicinity of behind post. Ball spilled out across the goal. Someone soccered it in from 5m.
  • Reid. Free kick 30m out at an angle.
-McLean. Amartey(?) takes a contested mark on 50m then kicks to McLean who takes a 1 vs 1 mark 10m out in front and kicks the set shot
  • Ronke. Crumbs the ball from a kick into the tall forwards and snaps from 15m in front of goal.
  • Amartey. Reid(?) takes a mark on 50m then kicks it to Amartey who takes a 1 vs 1 mark 5m out from goal then kicks the set shot.

2nd quarter
  • Taylor. We chip the ball with short kicks along the boundary line. Taylor takes a mark and kicks a set shot 30m at an angle.
  • CoR. We are camped in Essendons defensive 50. Someone centres a high ball and CoR marks it on the 50m line, plays on kicks a goal from 50m in front.
  • Sheather. Attacking raid down the flanks. Someone centres the ball to Amartey who is open. He handballs to Sheather who kicks a goal 20m in front.
  • Amartey. Picks up a loose ball and snaps from 10m in front.

3rd quarter
  • Amartey. Easily outbodies his opponent for 1 vs 1 mark. Kicks the set shot 20m in front of goal.
  • Amartey. Takes a mark 1 vs 1 on the goal line and kicks the set shot.
  • Morrison. Long ball in and I think Reid taps the ball down to him and he kicks a goal from 20m in front.
  • Unsure. Essendon were switching the ball across their defence, it gets turned over and we kick a quick goal.

4th quarter
- Ronke. Ball in to one of our talls, who handballs to Ronke running past and kicks a goal 20m in front.

Hard to make conclusive judgement on players. I thought CoR looked good with his ball movement roaming across half back. Taylor, Roberts and Shipley were our inside mids. Taylor zipped around picking up possessions and evading players. Roberts as usual always in the middle of the contest. Shipley looked the best of the top ups. Solid at the contest but got into space to receive the ball and had some runs through the middle. Our forward line all had set shot opportunities but Amartey was most dominant with his 1vs1 marking and able to set up opportunities for other players".

Saw this on R&W forum from "SeanM" so said I'd share here too, quite a comprehensive overview of the game.

"Without knowing much about Essendon's VFL squad. I think we had a lot more listed players available. At one centre bounce, I looked at our forward line and we had Sinclair, Reid, McLean and Amartey. (All players who have kicked goals as key forwards at AFL level.) Generally there were long periods with the ball locked in Essendon's defensive half. And the Essendon goals tended to come from set shots against the run of play.

1st quarter

• Unsure who kicked it. Stoppage in the vicinity of behind post. Ball spilled out across the goal. Someone soccered it in from 5m.
-McLean. Amartey(?) takes a contested mark on 50m then kicks to McLean who takes a 1 vs 1 mark 10m out in front and kicks the set shot

• Ronke. Crumbs the ball from a kick into the tall forwards and snaps from 15m in front of goal.
  • Amartey. Reid(?) takes a mark on 50m then kicks it to Amartey who takes a 1 vs 1 mark 5m out from goal then kicks the set shot.

2nd quarter
  • Taylor. We chip the ball with short kicks along the boundary line. Taylor takes a mark and kicks a set shot 30m at an angle.
  • CoR. We are camped in Essendons defensive 50. Someone centres a high ball and CoR marks it on the 50m line, plays on kicks a goal from 50m in front.
  • Sheather. Attacking raid down the flanks. Someone centres the ball to Amartey who is open. He handballs to Sheather who kicks a goal 20m in front.

3rd quarter
  • Amartey. Easily outbodies his opponent for 1 vs 1 mark. Kicks the set shot 20m in front of goal.
  • Morrison. Long ball in and I think Reid taps the ball down to him and he kicks a goal from 20m in front.
  • Unsure. Essendon were switching the ball across their defence, it gets turned over and we kick a quick goal.

4th quarter
- Ronke. Ball in to one of our talls, who handballs to Ronke running past and kicks a goal 20m in front.

Hard to make conclusive judgement on players. I thought CoR looked good with his ball movement roaming across half back. Taylor, Roberts and Shipley were our inside mids. Taylor zipped around picking up possessions and evading players. Roberts as usual always in the middle of the contest. Shipley looked the best of the top ups. Solid at the contest but got into space to receive the ball and had some runs through the middle. Our forward line all had set shot opportunities but Amartey was most dominant with his 1vs1 marking and able to set up opportunities for other players".

SeanM

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC

1st quarter

2nd quarter

3rd quarter

4th quarter

Good write up , but please call it a high kick , not a high ball , just wish the commentators would stick to what we know

Oct 17, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Stephens was solid. Mostly playing on the wing. Seemed to be trying to look for the short pass in attack. Taylor's goal came from his short kick. Though he still took opportunities to run with the ball a bit and kick long.

Hard to make judgements on players because I couldn't see everything from the Eastern boundary. And our team was very dominant and able to pin them in their own half for long periods. Amartey was clearly our best player. He looked mobile and dangerous for the whole game. CoR looked good in the first half and was very involved.

Sheather again played mostly in defence.

Last edited:

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Why, it's someone on Big footy giving their thoughts
I'm rooting for Stephens, and with Rowbottom out he has a good chance of getting call. I really want him to grab the opportunity, and if he's not catching eyes it's concerning.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Thanks SeanM
Good to see them persisting with Sheather in defence. Like to think they see something in him they can work with.
From what I saw of him last year in attack and vs Lions in defence there's plenty to work with. He's quick, confident and hard as nails. Never stops moving. I believe it was his tackling that got him noticed to be drafted in the first place. Like a fair few of the NSW boys he hits to hurt.

HighReeve

Anything will grow in Wessex
Sep 27, 2003
the north. (/melb)
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Brotherhood Without Banners
-At one centre bounce, I looked at our forward line and we had Sinclair, Reid, McLean and Amartey

Thats unwieldy

Why is Sinclair even participating
Should've "rested" in that last VFL game as well

EvilleAces

Debutant
Dec 18, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
From what I saw of him last year in attack and vs Lions in defence there's plenty to work with. He's quick, confident and hard as nails. Never stops moving. I believe it was his tackling that got him noticed to be drafted in the first place. Like a fair few of the NSW boys he hits to hurt.
His decision making and efficiency by hand and foot is also very high.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
His decision making and efficiency by hand and foot is also very high.
yep.. The Swans love Sheather..
Kinnear thought he was going to be picked up in the draft and the Swans wouldn't be able to match after McDonald, Campbell & Gulden. (those 3 + Sheather makes a bloody good draft... add MacAndrew a few months later!!)
They got him as a rookie and gave him a two year contract extension 2 months later.
He was close last year to a debut, reckon if he strings a few games together, stays fit, he'll get his chance pretty soon

Oct 17, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
-At one centre bounce, I looked at our forward line and we had Sinclair, Reid, McLean and Amartey

Thats unwieldy

Why is Sinclair even participating
Should've "rested" in that last VFL game as well
Just making the point that we had a really strong and experienced reserves side that the Essendon defenders struggled to handle. Our tall forwards were able to take a lot of 1 vs 1 marks. Also McAndrew was given the opportunity to play as the main ruck.

Though from watching the vfl streams this season, I found Sinclair to be a really good influence on the younger players. And I think we missed him when he got injured this year. Seemed to have a great attitude, was good around the ground and an important marking target in the forward line.

Just making the point that we had a really strong and experienced reserves side that the Essendon defenders struggled to handle. Our tall forwards were able to take a lot of 1 vs 1 marks. Also McAndrew was given the opportunity to play as the main ruck.

Though from watching the vfl streams this season, I found Sinclair to be a really good influence on the younger players. And I think we missed him when he got injured this year. Seemed to have a great attitude, was good around the ground and an important marking target in the forward line.

Agree. Reckon he plays a crucial on field coaching role.

Sinkers has been one of our great clubmen. I reckon he brings people together whether they are on the main list or the top up. Who knows what he wants to do post footy, but I reckon he would be ideal playing on our top up list and being appointed assistant coach.

Oct 17, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Did Campbell play the VFL practice match on Saturday? If not, is he actually injured?
No did not see Campbell or Clarke.

But I think everyone else available played. So would have been Melican, O'Connor, COR, Sheather, Fox, Gould, Rankin, McAndrew, Roberts, Taylor, Stephens, Warner, Ronke, Reid, McLean, Sinclair, Amartey.

Last edited:
He was managed. Wouldn't make much sense to play someone if we were trying to manage them.
I have seen players managed as the medical sub.....

I have seen players managed as the medical sub.....

Indeed, but there's a big difference between sitting in a zipper jacket on the bench for one, two, three quarters at the most then having a kick-to-kick with a coach after the game, and playing four quarters in a VFL game.

Indeed, but there's a big difference between sitting in a zipper jacket on the bench for one, two, three quarters at the most then having a kick-to-kick with a coach after the game, and playing four quarters in a VFL game.
debatable!

Back