VFL 2022 Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Boys at the footy.
9d4682cfeea227649d1e49f769bc9dc0.jpg

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

I don't like picking on the kids but considering Roberts' (only?) stand out attribute is his ability to always get to where the ball is, he has got to be so much cleaner, both in actually taking possession of it and disposing of it.
Looking fwd to see how he plays after another good preseason.

If Burgess is not needed at the suns we should take him.

This game is done. We’ve bottled it. So many chances

Not to single out one moment because we had plenty of chances, but what was McLean thinking taking so long to get the ball to Gould at the end there?

He would have been within range with a quick pass, and even with a point we would have had time to set-up behind the football. Unfortunately, he still looks too slow to me to be a long-term AFL prospect with how quick the game moves nowadays.

Gould was immense. Really hope we can convince him to stick around for another year or 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The senior candidates showed out clearly from the rest. I really liked Amartey's ruck rover like role, whilst rucking.He could be an even bigger ruck rover than Cripps.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Tapatalk

Great servant of the club Cal , back to the Borough i hope.
A couple of overs might have played their last games including Bell and Taylor who sadly might have done his knee
Not sure why we’d delist Bell with Kennedy, Sinclair, and O’Riordan retiring. Possibly Lloyd and Franklin departing. You have to have some senior bodies ready to go.

Some solid performances today.

McLean was terrific, but he went missing in that crucial third quarter which could hurt his selection chances in an otherwise perfect key forward display.

Campbell was a livewire. He was in everything and looked the part, but his composure right before executing the kick needs a bit of work.

Gould had some great physical moments. He just looks like an imposing presence out there now days and everything looks easier for him now that he's not this slightly tubby bloke who looks near death every time he has to hit top speed.

And Wicks was tenacious in the contest and very crafty. Had his discipline-to-aggression ratio perfect today. Made his opponents earn every touch without being reckless.

Everyone else had a few cameos here and there but we ultimately didn't have enough four quarter contributors and we didn't take our chances against a tough, strong opposition.

McAndrew will not play AFL football, happy to put my house on it
I think it's telling that he is yet to be the primary ruck in any VFL game after 18 months on the list. Watching him, he's not up to the standard of even a QAFL player (top level Queensland). He has the physical attributes but I just don't see any skill progression in him. Unlike Pyke who was playing rugby at an elite level in a position (fullback) which required skill, McAndrew was a lock (think grunt work) who was plugging away at the lower levels of club rugby. Looking at him purely as an athlete, I suspect his ceiling might not be up to the elite level.

He's 22 and I think we could either get ourselves an 18 yo through the draft or a mature prospect from VFL / SANFL / WAFL who would be much more developed and have a higher ceiling. Given how quickly our ruck situation could turn for the worse, I feel we can't afford to carry a slowly progressing project player.

As usual, happy to be proven wrong, which of late has been happening a fair bit (Stephens, Reid, Clarke).

I know there have been eggs on faces recently when it came to the likes of Paddy, Stephens, Clarke, Fox and Reid lately but TBF Bell was given a few games at AFL level and it is gonna be hard for him to break into the team. Its been hardly convincing with single possession games and not as good as a tagger like Clarke.

A player thats good at Reserves level but not quite enough at AFL level.

I know there have been eggs on faces recently when it came to the likes of Paddy, Stephens, Clarke, Fox and Reid lately but TBF Bell was given a few games at AFL level and it is gonna be hard for him to break into the team. Its been hardly convincing with single possession games and not as good as a tagger like Clarke.

A player thats good at Reserves level but not quite enough at AFL level.
Bell has played as a defensive forward. Clarke as a midfielder. Their stats can’t be compared.

But that isn’t the point. The point is we have had a charmed run with injuries this year. We have a large group of very young recruits who will need time. They don’t have the miles in their legs (yet) to play regular senior football.

Previously we have advocated for the delisting of Clarke (me), Fox and Reid (not me) and others.

You need depth. And by that I mean not promising kids but genuine foot soldiers (like Clarke) who can come in and play a role, especially in an otherwise really good side. Looking at the list today, there was Campbell (a potential A-grader) then local boys Wicks and Bell. Otherwise it’s kids.

Not sure why we’d delist Bell with Kennedy, Sinclair, and O’Riordan retiring. Possibly Lloyd and Franklin departing. You have to have some senior bodies ready to go.
You can't just keep persisting with players who you think are never going to make the grade. At some point you have to move on and give the list spot to a younger player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back