Review 2022 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

I said at the start of the year that I couldn't really see where the improvement was going to come from. Some pretty demoralising losses towards the end of 2021. Finished half a game outside top 4 and won a final. With such a young team too. Can't really be dissapointed with the year. Just hope we're able to retain players so we don't regress.

• BnF - Andy Brayshaw
  • Best 1st year player - Amiss? I guess?
  • Best game - H&A vs Geelong. EF overall.
  • Worst game - Loss to Melb
  • Best moment - Freddy tackle on Edwards
  • What’s need for the next step - Forward line. Experience.
  • Who are you most excited to watch next year - Jye Amiss

I’d post my own thoughts but MrDanggazz is pressuring me to get the thread up 😛

What’s your thoughts on the year
  • BnF - Brayshaw
  • Best 1st year player - I just want to say Brodie
  • Best game - win against Melbourne
  • Worst game - losing to Gold Coast
  • Best moment - Frederick tap back to Schulz against Melbourne
  • What’s need for the next step - players like Sturt and Henry to take the next step and Fyfe and Tabs to return to fitness
  • Who are you most excited to watch next year - Erasmus and Amiss

• BnF - Andrew Brayshaw
  • Best 1st year player - Nev Amiss
  • Best game - Elimination Final vs. WB
  • Worst game - Round 18 vs. Sydney (not including tonight).
  • Best moment - Chappy's spoil in the dying seconds against Adelaide in R1.
  • What’s need for the next step - More experience & another year of development generally. Midfield out-pointed too often throughout the year and needs to be addressed.
  • Who are you most excited to watch next year - Luke Jackson and all of our 2021 draftees (Amiss, Erasmus & Johnson)

• BnF Brayshaw
  • Best 1st year player Brodie & Amiss with different parameters.
  • Best game I really liked the 2nd Saints game & 1st Carlton game.
  • Worst game I really disliked the 1st Saints game & the 2nd Carlton game.
  • Best moment Chappy goal line save rnd 1, Freddys tap to Shoota v Naarn
  • What’s need for the next step Further development to all players & 2 specific recruits to improve the midfield & forward line.
  • Who are you most excited to watch next year Jye Amiss & Luke Jackson.
Personally was hoping for a 6-10 finish at the start of the year with development going into our young group. If someone told me no Fyfe for the majority of year & we did what we did, I would have asked how? Well done Will Brodie.

Edit, apologies to NOD, I thought he played a game last year.

Last edited:
Best and Fairest: Brayshaw
Best first year player: O'Driscoll
Best game: Win v Melbourne/EF win
Worst game: Loss v Melbourne
Best moment: Freddy's second half v Melbourne (torching the bloke on the mark to kick a goal+the flickback)
What's needed: Broad-strokes restructure of the forward line (starting with two genuine KPFs each week)
Most excited to watch: Jye Amiss/Neil Erasmus/Michael Federick

• BnF - Andy Brayshaw by far, what a season.
  • Best 1st year player - I would say O'Driscoll but he wasn't a first year player, so Amiss by default.
  • Best game - The Melbourne win at the MCG.
  • Worst game - The Melbourne loss at Optus... or even that AWFUL Saints game in round 2, everyone here lost their s**t over that loss (I did too lmao) then we went on a run and we all forgot about it.
  • Best moment - Last week, home final win, 41 points down. Bloody awesome.
  • What’s needed for the next step - forwards. Get games into natural goal kicking forwards like Amiss and Sturt.
  • Who are you most excited to watch next year - Jye Amiss.
Really good season in the end. 15 wins (16 with the finals win), a few more then I was expecting (12-13 wins).

Anyway, still expecting to make finals next season. As we have so many young guys, that natural improvement from them will drive us forward despite losing guys like Lobb, Mundy and Logue.

BnF - Brayshaw
Best 1st Year - Amiss
Best Game - Tie between Geelong and Melbourne. Both were incredibly tough and both were monumental
Worst game - St Kilda Round 2. Man that game sucked
Best moment - Chapman's hand of god
Next step - A pre-season with no injuries
Who are you most excited to watch - Heath Chapman, if he gets moved from defence. If not Jye Amiss

Best and Fairest: Brayshaw
Best first year player: O'Driscoll
Best game: Win v Melbourne
Worst game: Loss v Melbourne
Best moment: Banfield kicking 4 goals against Brissy. I lost my voice that game.
What's needed: We've got to fix the lack of scoring. Everything else is in place. Need the ability to score more.
Most excited to watch: Take your pick of youth.

• BnF - Andy Brayshaw
  • Best 1st year player - Amiss and Noddy
  • Best game - Geelong & Melbourne at MCG
  • Worst game - Sydney & Melbourne at Home
  • Best moment - Wining a final
  • What’s need for the next step - Experience and another KPF
  • Who are you most excited to watch next year - Amiss and Erasmus
Great year. Brayshaw could potentially have a Brownlow in a week from now, The fact that we were a whisker away from a top 4 finish and the emergence of some incredible young players.

Need to ask the AFL for more games against the big Melbourne teams at the MCG next year

Huge tick on this season.

We finished 5th winning a final, won 7 away games, it’s all a good learning experience for the young core group.

Biggest highlight for me was the career best years for Brayshaw and Serong, these two will imbed themselves as Freo greats should the continue the way they are going.

Biggest disappointment for me was Sean Darcy, what a backflip on his best and fairest season was nothing more then your standard AFL ruckman this year. Fyfe and Tabs both hardly preforming and getting on the field was the other big disappointment.

Clark and Brodie made for excellent bargain buys and have been incredible finds for the club, both would be in the top 10 of the best fairest. Young and Amiss have both shown that they have clearly got what it takes to be super stars of the competition, I look forward to many years of Young kicking to Amiss.

Thought Cox, Walker, Ryan, Acres and Aish all had great seasons as well, Acres turned himself around this but needs to be told to lower the eyes sooner then later. Freddy and Shultz were far to inconsistent for my liking, when they were on they were brilliant but when they weren’t they were invisible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor Brandon Walker. Needs to keep his head up high. That’s probably the toughest game of football he will ever play and he’s going to be sooo much better for the experience.
  • BnF - Andy Brayshaw
  • Best 1st year player - NOD
  • Best game - Essendon at Marvel, just for the Tabs bag
  • Worst game - Today
  • Best moment - The elimination final comeback
  • What’s need for the next step - Another year of experience/pre-season and a fit Fyfe
  • Who are you most excited to watch next year - Brandon Walker will have a breakout season

Best and Fairest: Andy Brayshaw and Brennan Cox.
Best first year player: Jye Amiss (Brodie outstanding as a first year Docker)
Best game: Winning the elimination final.
Worst game: Controversially I'm picking a win- round 1 vs Adelaide. Played like a bottom four team that day- luckily so did the Crows.
Best moment: second half vs Narrm in round 11.
What's needed: Three immediate priorities-
1) Good assistant coach(es) to replace Josh Carr and maybe Jayme Graham;
2) Summer of skills training so we can have confidence to pull the trigger more when going forward;
3) Find a way to keep Griffin Logue!
Most excited to watch: Everyone. Never been more excited by our squad.

Overall the season has been one of much growth. The kids look good, the 70+ gamers look established, the team made finals not through an easy draw but by beating fellow top-8 teams and won a final. The optimism is high and now is our time to conquer- anything less than a prelim next season is probably a disappointment.

Fyfe, Walters, Taberner and Darcy all had bad years by their standards and yet we made it the semifinal, if the health and conditioning team can perform like they did this year then top 8 should once again be the minimum.

Overall a positive season. Finals was always a chance in my books, but a finals win gives this season a big tick

BnF - Brayshaw
Best first year - Amiss
Best game - Beating Melbourne at the G'
Worst game - Losing to Collingwood in the finals
Best moment - Third quarter versus Melbourne at the G'
What's needed for next step? Quicker ball movement, better delivery inside 50
Most excited to watch - Amiss!

[*]BnF: Andy
[*]Best 1st year player: Jordan Clarke (hey Snuff)
[*]Best game: Naarm at the G'. Epic.
[*]Worst game: Carlton away or Saints at home. Both bog average.
[*]Best moment: Jye's first goal. Moose goal vs. GWS. Elim final.
[*]What’s need for the next step: Liam Henry becoming B22.
[*]Who are you most excited to watch next year: Jye lining up round one. Erasmus/Johnson pushing for a permanent spot.

* that was a good season.

Didn't expect finals, thought we should be probably 7-10 bracket.

Very good nucleus of a young team with a few issues to be addressed but the foundations of long term success are there.

Clark and Brodie both excellent. Walker showing real flashes of Brilliance. Serong and Brayshaw continue to build. Amiss showing signs, although I think he'll be a slower build than most.

Darcy a bit down, disappointing Treacy didn't get more games and Sturt not tried. All need a big preseason.

Massive highlight for me this year was our health and conditioning team. Player availability was fantastic throughout the year.
Makes an enormous amount of difference.

A lot of that is luck. Ie the lack of injured ankles/knees/ broken legs- that’s just luck. We can’t expect to be as lucky again unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People shouldn’t under estimate how much a young list like ours will tire over the season.

Brayshaw ran out of gas at about round 20. Brodie who had only played 5 games per year played 24 and was cooked by the time we got to the finals.

A lot of next year will just be more experience and stronger, older bodies.

A lot of that is luck. Ie the lack of injured ankles/knees/ broken legs- that’s just luck. We can’t expect to be as lucky again unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Impact injuries are on the decline across the afl so I’m not sure that as much luck as it is the way the game is played. The sliding in rule has been extremely effective.

Soft tissue is under our control and our strength and conditioning people are doing a good job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back